IGNORED

My Swing (Nick-UK)

Nick-UK

• Administrator

@Nick-UK, your last 12 posts are here in this topic without contributing to any other topics anywhere else on the site.

It's highly unlikely you're going to recover from the position on the left, and you don't by doing what gets you to the spot on the right:

image.jpeg

The face is open and your body immediately pivots rather than doing much else, which moves your hands out to the golf ball.

I'd make some half swing backswings where you rotate your body, do next to nothing with your arms and hands, and learn a good clubface position on the downswing.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get told to focus on half swings or less than half until I am hitting the ball straight most of the time.  When I try full swing I look silly and usually miss or mess up the shot.

Janine

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2024 at 1:49 PM, iacas said:

@Nick-UK, your last 12 posts are here in this topic without contributing to any other topics anywhere else on the site.

Whilst I take your point, it feels like a bit of a silly thing to say. Of course most of my posts are in this thread - I make a point of thanking and following up with everyone that has taken the time to reply and try to help me. At the same time, I clearly struggle enough with my own golf swing, so how am I remotely qualified to offer criticism of other peoples' swings? 

On 8/1/2024 at 1:49 PM, iacas said:

@Nick-UK

The face is open and your body immediately pivots rather than doing much else, which moves your hands out to the golf ball.

I'd make some half swing backswings where you rotate your body, do next to nothing with your arms and hands, and learn a good clubface position on the downswing.

I think you (and @Janine05) are right - I clearly just have to take it back to basics and start playing with a half swing until I get it more under control. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "body pivot" (nor what else you're suggesting is missing from my overall body movement).

Please don't take the above as if I don't appreciate your time, by the way. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nick-UK said:

I think you (and @Janine05) are right - I clearly just have to take it back to basics and start playing with a half swing until I get it more under control.

I can't believe I'm actually right for once.  Thank you @Nick-UK I am from the UK too, Gloucester.

33 minutes ago, Nick-UK said:

Whilst I take your point, it feels like a bit of a silly thing to say. Of course most of my posts are in this thread - I make a point of thanking and following up with everyone that has taken the time to reply and try to help me. At the same time, I clearly struggle enough with my own golf swing, so how am I remotely qualified to offer criticism of other peoples' swings? 

I think you're missing the point. There are lots of different topics on this website that you're not participating in. It doesn't feel like you're part of the community and you're just here looking here looking for advice on your swing. People are more willing to offer help to others they know.

Nobody is saying you have to comment on other people's swing threads. There are lots of long time members here who almost never do.

• Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Nick-UK said:

I think you (and @Janine05) are right - I clearly just have to take it back to basics and start playing with a half swing until I get it more under control. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "body pivot" (nor what else you're suggesting is missing from my overall body movement).

Please don't take the above as if I don't appreciate your time, by the way. 

Note, if you make short swings. It is going to feel STUPIDLY short. Your swing goes on for a long time. So, make a rig that will hit your hands or club on the way back. Give yourself instant feed back. Believe me, as someone who has to fight an overawing for 20 years now, you need this. Before you know it, the swing will regress. It will probably regress overtime and something you will need to work on forever. 

It should feel awkward and different. You may hit horrible shots because the timing is off. the goal is not to immediately hit good shots, it's to change the swing. 

As for the pivot thing. Check out this video for a good flow. 

And

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Nick-UK said:

See @billchao's post.

There are a lot of categories outside of the "Member Swings" threads.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/4/2024 at 8:43 PM, saevel25 said:

Note, if you make short swings. It is going to feel STUPIDLY short. Your swing goes on for a long time. So, make a rig that will hit your hands or club on the way back. Give yourself instant feed back. Believe me, as someone who has to fight an overawing for 20 years now, you need this. Before you know it, the swing will regress. It will probably regress overtime and something you will need to work on forever. 

It should feel awkward and different. You may hit horrible shots because the timing is off. the goal is not to immediately hit good shots, it's to change the swing. 

Thanks a lot for this.  It's so strange to watch my swing back on the video and see just how far I continue to rotate with the club (especially when you compare it to my previously posted swing video, that stopped at a far more sensible spot!).  If you look at my face-on swing video, you can see that my shoulder makes contact with my chin at about the 4 second mark, but at this point the swing isn't actually excessively long!  The chin contact continues for another second (at which point you can see the rubbing that causes skin discomfort!).  So my question is: If this shoulder-chin contact is occurring during what is essentially a half-swing, is some other factor not at play here, and not just a consequence of lifting the club too far back?

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Nick-UK said:

Thanks a lot for this.  It's so strange to watch my swing back on the video and see just how far I continue to rotate with the club (especially when you compare it to my previously posted swing video, that stopped at a far more sensible spot!).  If you look at my face-on swing video, you can see that my shoulder makes contact with my chin at about the 4 second mark, but at this point the swing isn't actually excessively long!  The chin contact continues for another second (at which point you can see the rubbing that causes skin discomfort!).  So my question is: If this shoulder-chin contact is occurring during what is essentially a half-swing, is some other factor not at play here, and not just a consequence of lifting the club too far back?

That's not super relevant right now.

You should make swings that literally go back to your chest height or lower (clubhead, not your hands) and learn what a squarer face feels like, and how you have to deliver that.

And also, take a peek at… https://thesandtrap.com/f/. 😄 LOTS of topics out there.