IGNORED

Penalty for adjusting a club during round?

308 Ragin Cajun
Note: This thread is 2078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the penalty for a player pulling out his wrench and changing the loft/lie on his driver during a round? I've tried to google this subject,and get no answers.. I am thinking of playing in my club championship in 3 weeks. I'm new to this club, and having spent some time drinking beer with some of the members, I'm not too impressed with their knowledge of the rules. Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, 308 Ragin Cajun said:

What is the penalty for a player pulling out his wrench and changing the loft/lie on his driver during a round? I've tried to google this subject,and get no answers.. I am thinking of playing in my club championship in 3 weeks. I'm new to this club, and having spent some time drinking beer with some of the members, I'm not too impressed with their knowledge of the rules. Thanks in advance

It's covered under 4-2a. There's a penalty for just carrying clubs in breach, but if the player makes a stroke with a club that's been altered, the penalty is disqualification.

It's perfectly legal to tighten screws during a round, though.

4-2. Playing Characteristics Changed and Foreign Material

a. Playing Characteristics Changed

During a stipulated round, the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means.

b. Foreign Material

Foreign material must not be applied to the club face for the purpose of influencing the movement of the ball.

*Penalty for Carrying, but not Making Stroke with, Club or Clubs in Breach of Rule 4-1 or 4-2:

Match play - At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round - Two holes.

Stroke play - Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round - Four strokes (two strokes at each of the first two holes at which any breach occurred).

Match play or stroke play - If a breach is discovered between the play of two holes, it is deemed to have been discovered during play of the next hole, and the penalty must be applied accordingly.

Bogey and par competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1a.

Stableford competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1b.

*Any club or clubs carried in breach of Rule 4-1 or 4-2 must be declared out of play by the player to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play immediately upon discovery that a breach has occurred. If the player fails to do so, he is disqualified.

Penalty for Making Stroke with Club in Breach of Rule 4-1 or 4-2:

Disqualification.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just in case of any misunderstanding of billchoa's explanation which is of course correct,  the penalty is for carrying a club which you have changed the playing characteristics of during your stipulated round.  You can adjust a club before your round starts, carry it and use it provided it is still conforming.

Maybe that's stating the obvious, but the way the rule is worded is to my mind a bit awkward and  could mislead.

Looking ahead

From January 2019, it will be clearer.  There will be no penalty for carrying but not using a club you have altered during the round. The penalty for using it remains disqualification.  Another welcome simplification!

• There is no penalty under this Rule for merely having (but not making a stroke with) a non-conforming club or a club whose performance characteristics were deliberately changed during the round. [Rule 4.1a(3)]

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Note: This thread is 2078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!