IGNORED

My Swing (Mark_k)

Mark_k
Note: This thread is 2012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Started playing golf about 3 months ago with a few guys from work. I've been taking lessons in that 3 months time also. I struggle with hitting my irons the most, but have a bad hook with my driver, but getting that brought in. This video is with a 5 iron.

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 months

My current handicap index or average score is: to high to count
My typical ball flight is: right hook
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: bad right hook and soft iron hit.

Videos:

Welcome to TST, @Mark_k,  You'll need to embed your video here, following these instructions:

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

Edited by DaveP043

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Mark_k said:

It wont let me embed, says that youtube, wont allow it. Let me see if I can upload again.

Make sure that you've opened the video for public viewing, that could be a snag.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• billchao changed the title to My Swing (Mark_k)

Hi @Mark_k, welcome to the site.

Assessment.jpg.d6a55bdb0d274e0212add315dbea92bd.jpg

I'm a high handicapper with a lousy swing who has absolutely no business trying to help others, so take this assessment with a grain of salt.

What I see that needs to be addressed...

1. Head movement. This can make consistent contact very difficult.

2. Hip sway back instead of a centered turn. Turning your hips more instead of sliding them back will likely help a couple other things. It will allow for a better shoulder turn and may even help reduce the head movement. You are shifting your weight back to your front foot on the downswing, but it's a from a position too far back, IMO. I'm not sure if that's contributing to your hooks, but you won't find a lot of videos of good players doing this.

I'm not sure what to suggest would be your priority, but it's best to concentrate on single goal instead of trying to fix everything at once. Fortunately, fixing one flaw can sometimes lead to fixing others.

Hopefully, someone with a bit more knowledge will look over your video. They'll see something I'm missing and be able to give you some direction or a plan. Just take it slow and easy and be patient.

Here are a couple of links that might help...

Good luck Mark.

Jon

@Mark_k. What does your instructor have you working on? Is there a specific area he's having you concentrate on? If you wouldn't mind, please give us a short description of a lesson and the lesson plan he gives you.

Jon

I'm hesitant to give much advice because 1) I don't want to sidetrack what your instructor is having you do. He may have a plan in the near future to address some of the things I see, and 2) Not being very good myself, I could easily cause more damage than good.

At the same time, you seem to really want some help. Also, I'd hate to see some of your faults become habits as has been the case with my swing. So again, take what I'm about to post with a grain of salt.

I think at some point soon, you should address the lateral movement in both your hips and your head on your backswing. It's ok to have a small amount but from what I'm seeing, that might be the biggest reason you're struggling with your irons.

As far as how? Lots of camera work and lots of mirror work. Start off taking very slow, very short swings - I mean very slow, very abbreviated. Once you see what you like, try to get use to the feel and apply it to hitting a ball - but again, very slow and easy swings. Until you can control what you're working on with that type of practice, keep at it until you see some improvement. Every time you're in front of a window or mirror, practice a backswing keeping your head basically in the same lateral position and not allowing your hips to slide back away from the target. Don't let your trail hip slide outside your trail ankle but instead, rotate it back.

Again, put a premium on the move instead of how far or hard or clean you've hit the ball. That will come in time. This is not something most folks can do overnight. Keep your expectations of improvement reasonable.

One more thing @Mark_k...

Spoiler

You have to post on other threads. Tell us about your course, or your best round or your worst round, or ask about a rule, or how you feel about slow play. In other words, join the community.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

It looks like you still sway back quite a bit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Mark_k said:

Talking about that little hip movement at the start? I noticed that and never knew I did that.

Really?

On 9/6/2018 at 10:10 PM, JonMA1 said:

Hi @Mark_k, welcome to the site.

Assessment.jpg.d6a55bdb0d274e0212add315dbea92bd.jpg

@JonMA1 noted it up above.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!