IGNORED

I Thought I Would Be Shooting in the 90s by Now...

Weirdgolf
Note: This thread is 2052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to play a lot of golf prior to my having to not play for about 20 years. When I came back, with many changes due to equipment, I made a decision to NOT play a round on a course for 1 year as I had to relearn everything.  It may seem I was disciplined, but I am usually not that focused.  Still, I went to the DR 5-6 times a week and often more (some were two-a-days). When I did play my first round, I was happy with a 118.  Went back to the drawing room for a month and a half, worked lessons to keep head down, left wrist not losing position, foot position, you name it I reworked it.  After that time I played rounds more often, and I broke 100!  Very happy. Kept adjusting and, to my great shock, broke 90 a few weeks later.  Now I range between 88-100 and I am very happy with this for a year and a half of back at it.  My goal for next year is to be consistently around 85-90.  Though, I know a 120 may be lurking around the next dogleg.

However, I am already a successful for this time.  I have a basic mastery of the weapons in my bag, I know how to focus to learn more, and I have a lot of fun, even when all goes to hell, as it did last week.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Vinny Cap said:

Some good suggestions on  here so far for ya.

For someone who has been playing for 7 months or so you are setting some extremely high goals to be wanting to be shooting in the 90's.
A good goal is trying to break 100 for your first season.  That was my goal my first season as my first outing was 114 and with lots of practice and many rounds I was able to break 100 before the end of the season.
You say your great day was 52 for 9.  That would 104 for 18... on a great day.  Just dont set your goals so high you cant meet them.  It can be frustrating and lead to you not playing anymore.  Many have quit this great game for similar reasons.

Another thing, from your story, you were carefree and with some awful golfers, as you said, that day of the great round so you were way more comfy and your rhythm was a lot better I can guarantee you.  Next you go out and play with an awesome, low capper and you are trying too hard, hitting bad shots, duffing it, picking up your head, etc.... guaranteed your rhythm was way off.  You were probably trying to swing out of your shoes to hit it long like your friend.

Be patient, practice, play, set reasonable goals and have fun.  Not every day is a great day of golf but it is always better than working!!!

All he said, especially the part about you swinging out of your shoes to keep up with your friend. This likely caused a lunge and head bob which produced the tops. It happens to all of us.

1. Get a lesson Yeah, Bubba says he is self taught, but you aren't Bubba. What you think you are doing is not what you are doing. The ball flight always tells the truth.

2. Small successes.

3. Patience, perseverance, and reasonable expectations. We all have bad days. I have been playing almost 50 years and I have days where the club just feels weird in my hands.

4. Buy "Lowest Score Wins"

5. Make sure you have fresh grips on your clubs.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Agreed!  

13 minutes ago, dbuck said:

All he said, especially the part about you swinging out of your shoes to keep up with your friend. This likely caused a lunge and head bob which produced the tops. It happens to all of us.

1. Get a lesson Yeah, Bubba says he is self taught, but you aren't Bubba. What you think you are doing is not what you are doing. The ball flight always tells the truth.

2. Small successes.

3. Patience, perseverance, and reasonable expectations. We all have bad days. I have been playing almost 50 years and I have days where the club just feels weird in my hands.

4. Buy "Lowest Score Wins"

5. Make sure you have fresh grips on your clubs.

It took me about 7--8 months of almost daily DR  work to be able to understand what my goals could be.  As a retired old fart, I had the time to really focus on golf (and my other hobby of brewing my own beer!). So my timeline may have been much faster.  I took lessons, videoed my shots, used Trackman, almost ANYTHING I could get my hands on. LSW helped me develop my plans for practice and rounds.  

But more importantly, I never allowed anyone to set the standards or goals for me (unless they are come from my professional coach; mine only tells me how to improve and says I set the goals).  

There is a regular at the DR I go to; often he is to my left when I practice.  He can CRUSH his drives, straight, long, very slight draw. My drives are 40-50 or even more yards shorter than his.  All he does at the range is crush drives 80% of the time. I do not attempt to try to match his.  The other day he asked me why my Hybrids were di good (100-120 yards.)  My only secret is practice so I known what t do. So he lies to show off at the DR, I work on what went crappy last time out.

Don't practice to impress; practice to improve. Ad, if yo have a bad day, take a deep breath and even an adult beverage.  And patiently get back at it.  Why do you thinK I need to keep so much fermented malt beverage at my house!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 9/11/2018 at 1:45 PM, Weirdgolf said:

Man this game is a real struggle.  Two weeks ago I played a course with a couple of guys who were awful and without fear of looking like an idiot I played great (for my game). My shots were going in the air, I had about 4 or 5 really solid drives, I hit the green on two par 3's, and even got my first birdie!  I made a mess out of a hole with water, but  I didn't really care about that.  All I cared about was the confidence i had in my game!  A week later I played with a friend who is a tremendous player, single digit handicap, who has these towering drives that go high and out of sight. Cutting through doglegs, and just...wow.  That day I couldn't get a single drive off the tee box, I seemed to be topping everything. I was trying so hard and the ball just went no where.  It was fairly depressing. 

Now I question my drive.  Why was I hitting it so well two weeks ago?  Will I even be able to hit those big thundering drives?  Is it even possible?  Have any of you guys experience a complete 180 in your game?  You think you have it figured out then it falls apart?

PS, the "Great" day I shot 52 on a 9 hole.  It was fairly challenging with some water on a few holes but distance wise I wasn't intimidated.  The course I butchered was long as heck.

I have been playing 7 months or so.  I play at least one game a week and try to practice at a range once also.  I usually get in at least one to two additional buckets during lunch breaks at work. Man I love the game but I sure wonder sometimes...

One thing that may have happened is the pressure to play well in front of your friend as well as the longer course may have affected your game.

Its important to keep in mind that one round, either good or bad, may not be a good indicator of progress and improvement. Just because you played a bad round doesn't mean you're not getting better, and the reverse is also true. Just because you played a good round doesn't necessarily mean you're improving.

You'll get highs and you'll get lows. Your real game is somewhere in between.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This past May I shot 105 😫 and considered just quitting the game. The very next day I shot 78 😃 same course. Neither score is typical of my usual game.  Pretty much everyone who plays has these inexplicable experiences 😎

Welcome to golf.  Everyone goes through up and downs (just ask any touring pro) and for us non-professionals, those peaks and valley are more pronounced.  Last week I shot 74 on Tuesday and 84 on Thursday.  What changed?  Beats the hell outta me, but it happens.  Look at it this way:  only a few things really separate us from the pros.....ability, skill, and consistency.  

This is my seventh year. There are a few things I try to remember.

#1.Enjoy the walk

#2. Ignore the other folks-they are thinking the same way you are

#3. Ignore your own expectations, they lie to  you. It's a humbling game.

#4. Forget the last shot

As some famous golfer said: hit the ball, go find it, hit it again.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!