IGNORED

I Thought I Would Be Shooting in the 90s by Now...

Weirdgolf
Note: This thread is 2041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Man this game is a real struggle.  Two weeks ago I played a course with a couple of guys who were awful and without fear of looking like an idiot I played great (for my game). My shots were going in the air, I had about 4 or 5 really solid drives, I hit the green on two par 3's, and even got my first birdie!  I made a mess out of a hole with water, but  I didn't really care about that.  All I cared about was the confidence i had in my game!  A week later I played with a friend who is a tremendous player, single digit handicap, who has these towering drives that go high and out of sight. Cutting through doglegs, and just...wow.  That day I couldn't get a single drive off the tee box, I seemed to be topping everything. I was trying so hard and the ball just went no where.  It was fairly depressing. 

Now I question my drive.  Why was I hitting it so well two weeks ago?  Will I even be able to hit those big thundering drives?  Is it even possible?  Have any of you guys experience a complete 180 in your game?  You think you have it figured out then it falls apart?

PS, the "Great" day I shot 52 on a 9 hole.  It was fairly challenging with some water on a few holes but distance wise I wasn't intimidated.  The course I butchered was long as heck.

I have been playing 7 months or so.  I play at least one game a week and try to practice at a range once also.  I usually get in at least one to two additional buckets during lunch breaks at work. Man I love the game but I sure wonder sometimes...

Edited by Weirdgolf

1 minute ago, Weirdgolf said:

Man this game is a real struggle.  Two weeks ago I played a course with a couple of guys who were awful and without fear of looking like an idiot I played great (for my game). My shots were going in the air, I had about 4 or 5 really solid drives, I hit the green on two par 3's, and even got my first birdie!  I made a mess out of a hole with water, but what I didn't really care about that.  All I cared about was the confidence i had in my game!  A week later I played with a friend who is a tremendous player, single digit handicap, who has these towering drives that go high and out of sight. Cutting through doglegs, and just...wow.  That day I couldn't get a single drive off the tee box, I seemed to be topping everything. I was trying so hard and the ball just went no where.  It was fairly depressing. 

Now I question my drive.  Why was I hitting it so well two weeks ago?  Will I even be able to hit those big thundering drives?  Is it even possible?  Have any of you guys experience a complete 180 in your game?  You think you have it figured out then it falls apart?

PS, the "Great" day I shot 52 on a 9 hole.  It was fairly challenging with some water on a few holes but distance wise I wasn't intimidated.  The course I butchered was long as heck.

I have been playing 7 months or so.  I play at least one game a week and try to practice at a range once also.  I usually get in at least one to two additional buckets during lunch breaks at work. Man I love the game but I sure wonder sometimes...

Welcome to TST. This game is a struggle. Thankfully though that within reason there is almost always a technical explanation behind what is occurring in your golf swing that is causing the results you do not want to see on the golf course. We all struggle with our games...though the struggle looks different for each person. I recommend you posting a member swing thread so that people can help you. Its free! I recommend you listen closely to anything recommended by @iacas and/or @mvmac. Check out the forum here: 

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Also, you mention that you practice....but do you practice properly?? What do you practices look like? See these threads for some great practice tips...especially if you are changing something specific in your swing:

Enjoy your time here and our great game!

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Happens to everyone. I shot 76 on my monthly medal two weeks ago and got cut from 11 to 10 and then went to gleneagles kings course the next day and drove the ball incredibly well but putted like I was visually challenged. 3 putted the first 6 holes. Ended with an 89 (19 over par) thanks to a solid back 9. 

I took 26 putts in my 76 and was over that for 9 holes the next day almost. I felt like I couldn’t miss the day before.m on my courses greens that aren’t necessarily as good but still very good greens  

Stupid game. 

It happens and it's never going away.

The better you get, the higher your "highs" will be and they will occur more often.

The worse you are. the lower your "lows" are and they occur more often until you improve.

^^^^ I hope that makes sense ^^^^

My experience has been that the improvement in my game comes very gradually. Sometimes it's hard to spot unless you are really paying attention. Scores are usually the last thing to come around and improve.

I struggle on longer courses as well from time-to-time. Like you said, it's magnified when I play with a bomber. I feel like I have to crush the ball just to keep up. It helps me to ignore the pin in the distance. Just pick your club, pick your direction, and focus on making solid & square impact. If you strike it right, the ball will fly plenty far enough.

Edited by SPJr

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

39 minutes ago, Weirdgolf said:

I have been playing 7 months or so.

1) Nothing's going to come easy when you are in your first year and relatively good and awful can happen in the blink of an eye even for experienced players. 

2) Playing long courses as a beginner sucks. I did it way too many times as a starter and I think it actually hurt me in the long run. Stick to short courses and play the shorter tees. It'll keep you sane until you are ready for the big boys.

3) I went a year before I cracked 100. I'd say you are doing just fine.

Edited by mcanadiens

1 hour ago, Weirdgolf said:

Why was I hitting it so well two weeks ago?

My friend shot a 76 one week and a 92 the next.  It happens.  I'd recommend lessons if you haven't taken any.  If you've got a home grown swing, it's possible to play some solid golf when you're rhythm is on, but if it's not, expect it all to go to hell quick.  Much harder to strike the ball decently when your swing is a bunch of internet tips and compensations patched together...I would know.  If you improve your fundamentals, your 'bad' swings will be much better and so will your 'good' swings.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Some good suggestions on  here so far for ya.

For someone who has been playing for 7 months or so you are setting some extremely high goals to be wanting to be shooting in the 90's.
A good goal is trying to break 100 for your first season.  That was my goal my first season as my first outing was 114 and with lots of practice and many rounds I was able to break 100 before the end of the season.
You say your great day was 52 for 9.  That would 104 for 18... on a great day.  Just dont set your goals so high you cant meet them.  It can be frustrating and lead to you not playing anymore.  Many have quit this great game for similar reasons.

Another thing, from your story, you were carefree and with some awful golfers, as you said, that day of the great round so you were way more comfy and your rhythm was a lot better I can guarantee you.  Next you go out and play with an awesome, low capper and you are trying too hard, hitting bad shots, duffing it, picking up your head, etc.... guaranteed your rhythm was way off.  You were probably trying to swing out of your shoes to hit it long like your friend.

Be patient, practice, play, set reasonable goals and have fun.  Not every day is a great day of golf but it is always better than working!!!

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

1 hour ago, Weirdgolf said:

Well, be prepared for much more heartbreak. It can take years to get to some level of ease and competence.

What are you practicing? Be realistic and get instruction. It will cut through a lot of misconception, wrong application and hunting in abject darkness.  

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Years ago I would golf with a business associate. He was a competitive long drive participant up in Mesquite Nevada. 

At the the time, I was playing pretty good golf, breaking 80 most days. Thing is, when he and I played, I was thinking too much about his obscene long drives, and miserably trying to keep up with him. That, or at least a little closer. I played poorly, and he won most of our friendley matches. 

I read an article that said players play their best golf when they ignore the other players on the course. Especially those in their own group.That a player will play their best golf when they they play with in themselves. When they play their own game. 

Once I got that into my brain, I started winning more matches against this long driving phenom. It mattered little he was out driving me by 60-80 yards. I was shooting lower scores than him. 

My point is, that sometimes golfers with decent games, let better golfers take them out of those decent games. They are beaten mentally, trying to keep up, which ruins the physical part of their games. . 

What's worse is the decent golfer might think their game has gone south, and starts trying to fix a swing flaw that might not exist in the first place. All the decent golfer needs to do is just go back to playing with in themselves. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Man that is so true. I have been messing with my drive all freaking week!  Trying to see what I was doing wrong!

I sometimes think playing with a friend is also bad for my game because if they are more talented they are comfortable chit chatting and honestly I just can't.  I can either play golf, or chit chat.  I really can't do both!

Yeah, this is definitely the case for most , maybe all golfers. You get better,  worse, better again and so on. 

May/June of this year I was playing really good golf, and almost out of nowhere I was shooting mid 80's , having gained some accuracy off the tee. Game went completely south during August, and had some terrible rounds, including a 109(!) in a competition - wasn't even bad luck, I really just couldn't keep the ball in play. Made some changes to ward off the snap hook tendency, and I'm starting to get better again, would have probably gone low-mid 80's had I completed my round today (56 from 12). 

What I've found when you have a bad spell is to keep your head up and take heart in whatever you are doing better, because those little incremental gains will make you a better player in the long run. You might see big variations in your score as you drive the ball better, worse & better again, but in the meantime you'll be getting better at chipping, or recovery shots or something. 

6 hours ago, Weirdgolf said:

Man I love the game but I sure wonder sometimes...

You're right on track.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to I Thought I Would Be Shooting in the 90s by Now...
On 9/11/2018 at 1:45 PM, Weirdgolf said:

I have been playing 7 months

I've been playing for a few years now and a good round for me is sub 100 (I shoot anywhere from 100 to 120) so don't sweat it much.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Hi, gang. It's been a long while. From one hack to another - you're trying too hard. I've been playing for a few years now and I'm shooting in the low 90s. Occasionally an 89. I hate to practice. I also have two bum knees, a bad shoulder and a bad back. My swing looks like a spaghetti bowl so I won't post it. 

1) Know your game and take what it gives you. Have fun while playing. Be relaxed. Everyone gets double bogeys. Everyone slices drives into the woods. Everyone. Driver is still my best club in the bag.

2) Learn how to hit a knockdown shot with your pitching wedge. - 100  yds carry as low as you can hit it without hitting it thin and hit it on target. This is singly the most valuable shot I've ever learned how to hit. Works well with 8 irons, too.

3) If you're struggling with your 3W on the fairway, use your 6 iron during your round. It's better to hit a 160 - 170 yd shot with your 6 iron than top one with the 3W. Work with the 3W at the driving range. 

4) Practice approach shots at the driving range. Shots 140 - 150 yds and in. You'll hit more of these than you do a driver. Hit to a target. And hit about 20 shots with wedges to a target.

5) Putting practice: Take 4 balls onto the practice green. Work on 3 foot putts until you can make about 90% of them. Work on lag putting. Start with trying to get 10 footers to within 2 feet of the hole for a tap in. Then move out to 15 feet and try to get them within 2 feet. Then out to 20 feet and try to get them within 2 feet. Then out to 30 feet and try to get them within 3 feet. Finish out your lags. Do this about twice a month.

6) Spend about 30 minutes in the practice bunker at the driving range with your lob wedge hitting bunker shots about once every month. Once you have about 3 hrs in the bunker you will be fine with this.

7) Spend some time on the chipping green. Learn the hinge and hold method. I use my SW exclusively. You can do this about once a month too once you learn it. 

Edited by DrvFrShow
  • Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Golf is very much like Vegas. Right when you've hit your last crappy shot and you're ready to throw your clubs in the lake, golf sucks you right back in with a shot that could be on a PGA tour highlight reel.  Like mentioned before don't over play. I'm notorious for playing down to my groups abilities. I've started taking my game more serious because I want to be good. I regularly shoot in the 80s, good round is 81- 82. But damn if I don't lose all skill when I play with two of my buddies. I shot an 85 and seven days later shot a 106 on the same damn course!!!!!  Drives me crazy.  But a couple tips I give friends or people playing early in their golf life

1- we won't be hitting the same club. Just because I pull a 9 doesn't mean you should hit a 9. Hit what you normally hit. As long as its straight its playable. Even if its a worm burner straight way better then lost left or right. We won't be hitting the same club very often. 

2- don't try pga chips. Grab a 7 or 8 and use a putting stroke, not as cool looking but way easier and way more effective for high handicappers. 

3- know why you're golfing. Are you golfing just to chill with the boys or are you golfing to be a good golfer. Can't have it both ways. I know some people will disagree but the mindset is completely different and so is the atmosphere. 

4- if you only golf a couple times a month and don't practice then don't trip on your scores. Flipside if you're a range warrior but hardly play then don't trip on your scores either. 

5- 3 or more putts. Those will kill new golfers. If you practice putting and can get half way decent at putting and are not 3 or more putting you are looking at 18- 30 strokes gained. Tee to green will come with playing more.

Lastly- ask your group to watch your ball. This is a way overlooked problem with amateur golfers, we don't have marshals and cameras watching our shots so what do we all do?  Pick our freaking heads up and top the crap out of the ball. Ask your buddies to watch your shot so you can concentrate on keeping your head down and watching the ball. 

One last thing on chips. If it's at all possible to use your putter, putt it. If you're in rough, that's another story.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

22 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

One last thing on chips. If it's at all possible to use your putter, putt it. If you're in rough, that's another story.

It’s nice to hear from you again!

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!