IGNORED

Bombs away

Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How are you long ball guys wrapping your drivers ? I’ve went to the same set up as my baseball bats , using lizard skins .5 wraps 

seems to help the wrist actions swing speed is around 136mph when I really go for it with the long drive shaft 

golfing shaft is like 129mph

453C1462-F6BF-4E19-920D-897D175EA334.jpeg

Dritac will last me like 50 balls on my driver , I used a jumbo golfpride as the base grip and use the lizard skin over top it last about 100 swings but I can wrap it myself for 12 bucks and have control over where it’s fatter anyone who plays baseball or hockey knows how important this is to control and how our hands are all different “feel is everything” for the driver

I used to compeat but am more into playing good rounds so my training is about keeping the swing speed lower and consistant but it’s really hard not to want to rip the driver lol I ended up getting a 2 iron to take that urge away lol

Yeah the dri tacs aren't holding up well at all. Ex baseball player myself so may look into a baseball style grip. I don't compete in long drive but thought it would be fun to enter an event.  I actually just ordered a 2 iron today to see how I will like playing it when my driver or 3 wood goes crazy.

I have the gapr Lo 17 love it only use the driver on a few holes now , the long drive contests are fun pick up a krank driver !!!! Non conforming hahah like an extra 50 yard 

I have a 5 degree Krank with a fujikura 3x shaft but it is a conforming club. Also have a Callaway xr16ld head(4-7*) on a xphlexxx shaft and a brute head(5*) on a house of forged shaft. All eBay specials. Was trying to find a driver that would work for me because I spun the ball so much. Decided to go lower loft which worked well. I actually play with these drivers. However they all are usga conforming clubs.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:34 PM, Casualgolfer said:

Yeah the dri tacs aren't holding up well at all. Ex baseball player myself so may look into a baseball style grip. I don't compete in long drive but thought it would be fun to enter an event.  I actually just ordered a 2 iron today to see how I will like playing it when my driver or 3 wood goes crazy.

You should enter just for the experience. I used to do long drive from 06- 09. Never made tv but would make it pretty deep in districts. It’s a blast. Lots of characters out there that’s for sure. Going to Mesquite with my dad every year were some great trips. Nothin like seeing an entire range full of tour bags with 12-15 drivers...................and a 6 iron😂

First set up was a 7* SMT deep bore 455 with accuflex extreme LD shaft(3x) the head Carl Wolter won with. Shortly after started hitting Bang golf Bang O Matics with accuflex assassin shafts. Last and favorite set ups were BOM with SKFibre lite revolution II shafts.(2X tipped1.5”) Heads ranging from 4.5 to 7.5 depending on conditions. I topped out at 142 mph swing speed. You’d be surprised what’s actually competitive, high 130’s and you’d be fine. You wouldn’t think but accuracy is actually more of a threat than speed. Few guys have both. I still use accuflex shafts in my playing driver. Accuflex Evolution. Hard to find but stull floating around. If you can get in the 130s you’ll breeze through locals and have fun at districts. Put enough in the grid and you could make it through districts. 

Good deal. I was in the low 130's a couple months ago on flight scope but that is my normal swing. I got 3 drivers I could use for long drive but I was wondering what you used on the course? I have a Titleist 913 D2 8.5 degree with and x stiff tipped shaft but I spun that thing like a yo-yo. Was thinking about cutting down the xphlexxx shaft on my Callaway since it goes up to 7 degrees and using it as my player. I actually can do pretty well on the course with my 5 degree drivers but maybe something a little more forgiving wouldn't be bad.

Once I got the “long drive” mentality out of my head I was able to go way up on my driver loft. I probably play a swing speed around 120 or so. I have typically used a 9* driver but have recently moved up to a 10.5* as my swing gets better. Training for long drive and practicing for golf are two completely different worlds. Took me a minute to figure that out. Right now hitting a Cobra F6 10.5* with an Accuflex Exolition X stiff shaft. I play it 45.5”.  Not my favorite driver head but I won it at a scramble on the longest drive hole. Haha. Had to reshaft it because it had a regular flex shaft originally.   Haven’t really ran into your issue with grips so I just a golf pride MCC 

Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!