HJJ003

Memorial Park Renovation by Tom Doak (Future Home of Houston Open)

23 posts / 5929 viewsLast Reply

Listening to Tom Doak on the Fried Egg golf podcast, I seem to remember him saying something along the lines of not wanting to put too much out there to advertise your course.  Put out enough to get people there, but then keep some gems "hidden" so that anybody that goes there gets another wonderful experience beyond what you could see from pictures.

This is likely for more high end, vacation style courses compared to one that will be played on the PGA tour, but it could be that they're keeping some of the best for last.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Well they haven't covered the 16th yet (though we have seen a good deal of it in other vids), and we haven't seen the 18th at all but we have otherwise seen the back nine and nothing on the front. 

This hole will be a good one, but nothing overcomplicated here for the Pros. Should play under par as a par 5 typically does for them. May play a bit tougher for the high handicapper as a hook player has the stream to worry about and the slicer will make the hole considerably longer. It is feasible that a tour player will finish the stretch of 13-17 at 5 under par or more if they are on their game. 

Tom Doak! This looks like an exciting hole for sure. A lot of people are going to enjoy watching it in the tournament, but I am looking forward to playing this hole. I am sure I will lay up more often than not, but in the right wind after a good drive...I may be tempted. This par 5 was pretty dull before and I only looked forward to it in the round because I usually made Par. That will be much harder to do now!

I wondered what he would do with #18 here. I was thinking maybe a centerline bunker because the corridor was so wide, but looks like a fairway ridge instead. This is the second green I have seen on the back nine that runs way from the golfer. The shaved edges will repel those golf shots for sure, and make up and downs interesting. 

Ah the first hole. One of my favorite opening tee shots (probably my favorite actually) in all of Houston with some of the skyline in the background. The playing corridor looks the same for the most part, but the hole bends more left than it used to. I am glad they drained that stupid lake that seemed to never been in play unless you bombed the ball or hit a worm burner on your second shot. I like the contouring of the hole instead. Really glad they moved the green site a little more to the left, and brought the ravine into play. I don't agree with Kibbe that it will come into play on long second shots for the weekend guys...I think it will come into play more with bladed wedge shots on the third shot into greens. Ready to see more of those ravines!

Wow this is one of my favorite holes thus far. #2 was a fairly simple short par 3 before, but now geez what a great short par 3! That makes one short par 3 on the front as well as the back. This larger ravine is supposed to be in play on holes 2-7, so I am very excited to see the other holes and how they utilize it.