IGNORED

Shaft Adapters

Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, seekingone said:

I am looking at the TaylorMade RBZ adapter and wanting to know this: Can you use this adapter to turn your regular driver into one like the RBZ drivers? It seems like it should be possible.

The head and adapter have to match.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, seekingone said:

I am not fully following your comment. The driver heads are usually .335 and the irons are mostly

.37. Are you saying, if the adapters are this size, I can convert my driver to one like the RBZ? 

Are you just wanting to put your shaft on the RBZ? 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

U can't turn a non adjustable driver into an adjustable driver.  So u can't take for example a  Taylormade 540 driver head where the shaft is glued into the hosel and put a shaft with the adapter on it in that Taylormade 540 head.

1 hour ago, seekingone said:

Thank you for that info. I have been wondering about it for sometime. It seems strange that someone has not found a way to do that. I wish they would. Surely it can't be that hard.

You would have to completely change the club head. Non-adjustable clubs have shafts epoxied into the head. Adjustable clubs have differently design heads. The shaft goes through the head basically, and attaches underneath with a screw. 

I think it would be a very difficult, nigh on impossible, conversion

6 hours ago, FrivolouslyWasted said:

You would have to completely change the club head. Non-adjustable clubs have shafts epoxied into the head. Adjustable clubs have differently design heads. The shaft goes through the head basically, and attaches underneath with a screw. 

I think it would be a very difficult, nigh on impossible, conversion

Not as impossible as you think, and here's why.

Realistically you only would need to design 2 parts. One is a socket that is epoxied into the clubhead and the second is the adapter that goes onto the shaft. The adapter could be held into the clubhead by way of a set screw (or 2 or 3) on the collar of the socket that fits into indents on the adapter, allowing for set positions of rotation within the socket and providing the desired adjustments.

The reason they don't do this is because it wouldn't be profitable. You'd get a few people who would buy them here or there, but overall it would be too small a number to justify the development, marketing, and manufacturing costs. The entire reason clubs now are all adjustable is not, in fact, because it's meant to be a feature for users but because it's meant to be adjustable for fitters and retailers.

The fitter or retailer doesn't need to stock a 9.5* clubhead, a 10.5* clubhead, and a 11.5* clubhead now because those lofts can be achieved with a single clubhead now. It reduces the number of variants of a single club that need to be manufactured and greatly simplifies the whole process since you don't even need all the parts in one place to manufacture a golf club anymore, you can just send the shaft (with an adapter on it) to the distributor separately from the clubheads. You only have to design and manufacture one clubhead, providing greater optimization of manufacturing, that will fill all the roles that different clubheads previously would. 

It's a benefit to the customer because they can change their driver specs if they desire, but that's secondary to the effect the adjustable clubs have on the cost of manufacturing and distribution of new product releases. It's not even a marketing point anymore when selling new clubs because everybody does it, and everybody does it because it reduces manufacturing costs.

Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!