IGNORED

My Swing (Stryde7)

Stryde7
Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 6+ years seriously
My current handicap index or average score is: 14
My typical ball flight is: Wipey fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Skulled chip

Videos: 

6 iron

Driver

Comments:

Hi everybody and happy holidays. Found this forum through NoLayingUp and I'm crazy about golf and trying to get better. Any feedback on my swings is welcome - I'm always tinkering and analyzing (probably too much to my detriment).

Background: I probably first played golf in HS but didn't get serious until my mid 20s (I'm 30 now). I've made a lot of progress in the last two years and my ball striking is good but volatile but my short game is keeping me from improving too much beyond a 13-14 (that's a different story). I hit my 8 iron 150 and my driver 260 when I hit it well. I've had a herniated disc in the lower back many times, which I think has made me less likely to compress into my left side. Therefore, the driver is my favorite club as it allows me to release early and hit up through the ball.

Other thoughts:

- When my swing falls apart it's because I'm rushing and not making a full turn back. When I look at videos of my swing it looks like I barely turn even though I feel like I can't turn any further. 

- The other time my swing falls apart is when I get to the top and then lead with my hands rather than unwinding through my body (I have a handsy swing in general). Therefore, I often do the pump drill to try to start my swing down with my body and arms rather than hands.

- I also have an issue with my arms separating from my body in my backswing. Thinking about getting one of those training aid shirts that forces the triangle

- You can also see that I pop up a bit through impact (might be subconsciously protecting my back)

- With my irons, I think I set up with my shoulders a little open to the target line. Therefore, even when I hit them well, the flight tends to be a "wipey fade" (gets really affected by the NJ wind)

Any comments, tips, links, or analysis would be awesome. 

Thanks!

• Administrator

Do you have a face-on video? Or slow-motion video? The range you're using there looks a little tight for the FO video, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Just from those videos I'd adjust two things:

1. Setup is too close, too hunched, and the arms hang inward a bit too much:

01.jpg

2. You could probably turn more if the knees worked a bit more in these dimensions (right leg extends a bit more, allows the hips to turn more), and then I'd like to see from face-on just why you're still so flat-footed after impact. Key #2 in 5 Simple Keys® is to get your weight forward at impact.

02.jpg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks so much Erik.

I'm definitely too hunched on my irons, I've always been. I've tried to fix it by getting closer to the ball (so that I can stand more upright and still reach the ball with my club). But you mention I look too close to the ball already. Being more hunched over has also helped me take the club back more on plane rather than too low and inside (which was my usual issue, and which was exacerbated when my body was too upright).

Looks like keeping my arms less inward will allow me to get the club closer to the ball without hunching or standing too close, so I'll definitely work on that. 

Do you have any other tips for how to improve that posture?

I think I bend too much with my back rather than at my hips (pushing my butt back in a squat stance). But it doesn't look majorly different than the photo of the pro (is that Duffner?)

• Administrator
On 12/22/2018 at 10:43 AM, Stryde7 said:

I'm definitely too hunched on my irons, I've always been. I've tried to fix it by getting closer to the ball (so that I can stand more upright and still reach the ball with my club).

Just stand up more. The butt of the club is far too close to you, and your arms hang inward a ton. As I said you probably actually have to back up from the ball.

I'd start there, and get comfortable with that, and then post an update.

Stryde 7, here's some things you might try. I was taught that in a correct stance, with your arms hanging straight down from your shoulders, you should be able to take your right hand off the grip and have it maintain the same relationship with the grip. That is, you should be able to simply move your right hand to the left, and it will be right where it's supposed to be. If your right hand moves toward the butt end of the grip, you're standing too far from the ball. If it goes the other way, you're standing too close. 

Another idea is take your right hand off the grip, extend the thumb and pinkie finger, and put your hand between your crotch and the butt end of the grip. Thumb at your crotch, pinkie at the grip. That's about how much space needs to be between your body and the club. 

iacas is right, you're crowding yourself. I have a buddy that deals with this from time to time. One time I caught him with the butt end of the grip about 2" from his zipper. I took a pic w/my phone and showed it to him. "How can you hit the ball from here?" 

Looks like keeping my arms less inward will allow me to get the club closer to the ball without hunching or standing too close, so I'll definitely work on that. 

I went through a similar change not real long ago, as you can see if you look at my swing thread.  When @iacas says to just work on the change to your address position, get comfortable with it, it sounds pretty simple.  And its not!.  I mean, its simple, you're standing there relatively motionless, you should be able to position yourself any way you want to.  But it will feel weird to stand taller in the knees, bend a bit more at the hips, let your hands fall a little further from your hips, possibly feel your weight move a little away from your heels and towards your toes.  You'll think your knees are locked, yet the camera will still show lots of flex.  So give yourself some time to get comfortable with the revised set-up.  One thing at a time is the way to do it.

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!