Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iacas

"The Hole Truth" By Bill Felber

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Discuss "The Hole Truth: Determining the Greatest Players in Golf Using Sabermetrics" by Bill Felber here.


This book makes some promises - or at least hints at them - upon which it doesn't deliver.

The book makes it sound like it's going to compare the players across generations, and does absolutely nothing of the sort.

All the book is - well, 95%+ of it - is a brief history of a number of players (men and women), and then a table and a chart showing their Z-scores for major championships played over a number of years. At the end, there are some charts showing the peak five-year performances and the performances for the "career".

Absolutely no attempt is made to consider the fact that Old Tom Morris played against as few as seven other competitors, while Tiger Woods competed against the best 150 or so players out of millions more golfers in the world.

Furthermore, regular PGA Tour events aren't considered at all (or LPGA Tour events): only major championships.

What a snore. What a let-down.

If you see the book in the store, especially you @turtleback, go ahead and pick it up to look through some of the charts. You'll see what a joke it is when many, many players are listed well above, say, Phil Mickelson, including many women players. I think Phil is 17th, despite having won 40+ times with… five majors in the modern era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Who is this guy?  What's his background?  A Google search didn't turn up anything.

Ah, never mind, his name is Bill Felber, not Farber.  Not that a Google search turns up much about him.  Some newspaper guy committing statistical malpractice.  The one Amazon review said he was a local wit, but I think that is only half right.

Seems pretty worthless considering the complete lack of detailed stat breakdowns from the past.  And from what you said and the little bit out there he seems to have no clue about strength of field.

In the unlikely event I find myself in a bookstore I'll glance at it.  I can always use a good laugh.

Edited by turtleback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, turtleback said:

Ah, never mind, his name is Bill Felber, not Farber.

Yeah, I don't know what I was doing there. I saw his name right on the Amazon page, and then typed something else. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yeah, I don't know what I was doing there. I saw his name right on the Amazon page, and then typed something else. 😛

That's only supposed to happen to guys MY age, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, turtleback said:

Who is this guy?  What's his background?  A Google search didn't turn up anything.

Ah, never mind, his name is Bill Felber, not Farber.  Not that a Google search turns up much about him.  Some newspaper guy committing statistical malpractice.  The one Amazon review said he was a local wit, but I think that is only half right.

Seems pretty worthless considering the complete lack of detailed stat breakdowns from the past.  And from what you said and the little bit out there he seems to have no clue about strength of field.

In the unlikely event I find myself in a bookstore I'll glance at it.  I can always use a good laugh.

I know it would be an unnecessary task, but out of pure entertainment I (and others I’m sure) would probably thoroughly enjoy a review from you on this book. I’ve read some very entertaining reviews on the low budget horror films I watch on Amazon Prime and often find some very entertaining reading material. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I know it would be an unnecessary task, but out of pure entertainment I (and others I’m sure) would probably thoroughly enjoy a review from you on this book. I’ve read some very entertaining reviews on the low budget horror films I watch on Amazon Prime and often find some very entertaining reading material. 😀

I appreciate the kind words, but life is too short, and there are too many good books to read for me to waste my time on dreck like this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...