hoselpalooza

My Swing (hoselpalooza)

33 posts / 1771 viewsLast Reply

On 3/18/2019 at 7:06 PM, hoselpalooza said:

@iacas, thanks for your feedback. i've thought a bit about the pros and cons of chin up vs. down and i'm not sure why down would be better.

Your head and neck tilt down the entire downswing, So your  body seems to know what the better position is, as it's trying to get there the whole backswing.

if i lower the chin while maintaining the same posture it's going to restrict the turn and increase tension.

No, it doesn't have to.

i just fixed this problem and don't want to go backwards. there could be some other ways around this though i can only think of one right now: move farther away from the ball, lean forward/decrease spine angle, move the hands farther away from the body, and perhaps shallow out the swing. those are a lot of changes to introduce just to lower the chin! 

Or… just lower your chin?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Your head and neck tilt down the entire downswing, So your  body seems to know what the better position is, as it's trying to get there the whole backswing.

No, it doesn't have to.

Or… just lower your chin?

@iacas, thanks for your feedback. i'm going to try lowering the chin to the point where i can still pass my lead shoulder underneath. 

Just now, hoselpalooza said:

@iacas, thanks for your feedback. i'm going to try lowering the chin to the point where i can still pass my lead shoulder underneath. 

You can always make the shoulders steeper.

I'm not saying you should make them too steep, just… that you can almost stick your chin in your chest and still turn the shoulder under the chin.

8 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

i don't mean to be dense but what do you mean by steeper?

The opposite of flatter.

17 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

i don't mean to be dense but what do you mean by steeper?

I think he means the plane on which the shoulder turns? More red, not black.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 9.37.39 PM.png

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I think he means the plane on which the shoulder turns? More red, not black.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 9.37.39 PM.png

this is what i was asking. there's more than one plane.

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

The opposite of flatter.

Image result for eyeroll

13 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

Image result for eyeroll

Dude, it's not like I'm using cryptical language. You have some responsibility, as the person getting free help with his golf swing, to do a little work. Like Googling "Steeper shoulder turn" or something.

And how do I see you're not looking out of the center of your eyes? Because I can see it.

01.jpg

I can also see that your chin goes DOWN quite a bit, and your head moves forward quite a bit, during the backswing. Fortunately, your shoulders and "spine angle" are pretty good. Steep enough. That's why you can turn the left shoulder under your chin, even after it's dropped a few inches.

02.jpg

Then you get even closer to the ball with your head and your chin goes down even MORE.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Dude, it's not like I'm using cryptical language. You have some responsibility, as the person getting free help with his golf swing, to do a little work. Like Googling "Steeper shoulder turn" or something.

two things come to mind when i think of steeper shoulders. the first i've seen commonly referred to as "shoulder tilt", and usually describes the height of the lead shoulder compared to the rear shoulder. the other one was shared by  @nevets88.

so which one were you referring to?

15 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

two things come to mind when i think of steeper shoulders. the first i've seen commonly referred to as "shoulder tilt", and usually describes the height of the lead shoulder compared to the rear shoulder. the other one was shared by  @nevets88.

I'm not saying you need your shoulders to be steeper, I'm saying that if you made your chin lower, you could always turn more just by turning your shoulders on a steeper plane.

And… your chin drops the whole backswing AND half of your downswing. So big whoop that you're setting up with it up. It's lower the rest of the time.

had first lesson in a long time today. worked on getting the center of mass to work properly in the backswing and transition. focusing on keeping the right arm higher or palm facing downward until p2. working on long irons to really feel the center of mass. 

here is a low-resolution video of this with a 16.5* driving iron:

once the new backswing is ingrained into muscle memory i'll focus on engaging the right foot and allowing some external rotation to happen to trigger the rotation of my body. 

10 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

had first lesson in a long time today. worked on getting the center of mass to work properly in the backswing and transition. focusing on keeping the right arm higher or palm facing downward until p2. working on long irons to really feel the center of mass. 

here is a low-resolution video of this with a 16.5* driving iron:

once the new backswing is ingrained into muscle memory i'll focus on engaging the right foot and allowing some external rotation to happen to trigger the rotation of my body. 

The swing is looking good. Shift the camera a few inches to the left to get it right on the toe line for a better DTL view. This helps with seeing where the club head is at A6 and tells you whether your swing is on plane, over the top or lagging slightly.

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The swing is looking good. Shift the camera a few inches to the left to get it right on the toe line for a better DTL view. This helps with seeing where the club head is at A6 and tells you whether your swing is on plane, over the top or lagging slightly.

thanks for your feedback, @boogielicious. will mention this next time i'm at the studio. 👍