IGNORED

OFFICIAL: 2008 Northern Trust (Nissan) Open Thread

nandoal28
Note: This thread is 5920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

JD is playing on the weekend! It's been a while.

I'll be watching him and Phil.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I learned important things about golf from five pros during my trip to the L.A. Open today.

Side story first: When I had barely begun to play, some of my friends told me that no one of my build - 5'8 - 5'9, not very heavy - would ever be a great golfer. I've since found this to be false, but I still prefer to watch players of my build when I see a tournament in person. My goals today were to see Ryuji Imada, Anthony Kim, and Charles Howell III. I saw Imada's second shot on the 9th until the end of the 9th, which I mistakenly assumed was his last hole. I then walked back to the 9th see and saw Anthony Kim play the hole. Then I hung out for a while and followed Howell's group for 18 holes.

From Ryuji Imada, I saw firsthand just how powerful a player of my size can be with a graceful swing. If he and I had been playing a scramble on hole 9, *I* would have had a seven-iron left to the green from his drive, unless I'm totally remembering it wrong. I remember thinking that. I'll be thinking of him on the long shots next time I play.

I watched Anthony Kim play his last hole, the 9th. Even though he hit it farther than other members of his group, he opted to lay-up instead of going for the green from a bad lie in a fairway bunker. He hit his layup shot while the group ahead was still on the green, leaving it well short of the green. Since he knew the rest of his group would be going for the green, he called out ahead and told them he's laying up before entering his pre-shot routine and hitting the shot, which didn't go quite as he intended. He didn't let it bother him, or so it seemed. When he was waiting near the ball, waiting to hit to the green, he was still smiling. This shows me the importance of a positive attitude. He seemed like someone who might have a conversation with a fan at that point. I have no idea whether I should have tried. Every time I see players talking to folks outside the ropes at events in the past, it turned out to be a family member.

From Charles Howell III, I learned the value of never giving up. There were some points today where it looked like saving par would be impossible and he managed to do it. A great case in point is 18, his 9th. His drive found the trees on the right. He had a shot for his second shot, and it clipped a tree and fell. He managed to get up and down from there. If he hasn't been hanging out with his buddy Tiger, he sure fooled us. I'll be thinking of him on the short shots the next few times I play.

With regards to Luke Donald, I learned that I need to pay close attention to who I'm watching in a tournament. The last time I saw him (TWC), I commented that he and his caddy look alike. This time, I found out halfway through the round that there was apparently an attractive woman following him for the tournament, but I didn't see her until most of the way through their second nine.

In briefly chatting with Ben, I learned that even really good golfers can enjoy watching the PGA Tour. So that's one fewer fear of lower scores on my list.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

64 today for Phil. -10 for the tournament. Birdied 17 and the super difficult 18th coming in.

Holy *&%$! I STAND corrected. . . I left home for work after the bogey, and man did he turn it on!

I'd love to see that. But he had a couple great rounds last season, only to crater shortly afterwards.

its not looking great....but he made the cut.....so i'd love to see him FINISH a tournement

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Huge week for Phil! Most years when Phil plays well, he wins at least ONCE before the Florida swing. He needs to win this week.

Thanks for listening PHIL

Bag: SC-75 (cart) x-58 (stand)

Driver: 9.5* R7 SuperQuad

Fairway woods: ERC Fusion 3 wood and 7 woodHybrid: 16* G2Irons: X-20 4-GW 5.0 Project X shaftsWedges: 54* 58* Spin Milled Oil CanPutter(s): #9 Red XBall: PRO V X

Kudos Phil, Kudos.
Nice Job.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Yeah, this is pretty cool.

Phil looks like he is in his best physical shape in years. Am I wrong?

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Yeah, this is pretty cool.

No Phil lost alot of weight over the off season.

Just think Phil could have two tourneys under is belt If he could of made anything on the back 9 @ the FBR, and Holmes does make that 10 footer back up the hill to forces a Playoff.
Bag: SC-75 (cart) x-58 (stand)

Driver: 9.5* R7 SuperQuad

Fairway woods: ERC Fusion 3 wood and 7 woodHybrid: 16* G2Irons: X-20 4-GW 5.0 Project X shaftsWedges: 54* 58* Spin Milled Oil CanPutter(s): #9 Red XBall: PRO V X

Did anybody notice the course condition at Riviera? It kind of looked a little burned out. Especially around the greens. Maybe I just never paid that much attenion to it.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Did anybody notice the course condition at Riviera? It kind of looked a little burned out. Especially around the greens. Maybe I just never paid that much attenion to it.

i certainly noticed. had a nice raw feel to it. Looked a lot different - colourwise - than the many times i've knocked it round Riv....on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Note: This thread is 5920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!