IGNORED

Gary McCord................

MSDOGS1976
Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know about you guys, but I have to turn the volumn off when he is on the air. He was on today, dominating the entire broadcast with his silly comments. What's the deal with this guy? He can not comment without silly nonsense coming out of his mouth.

Thank God for the mute button.
  • Upvote 1

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Yeah, McCord needs to talk less about birds and cacti and talk more about golf.
For a while there I almost thought I was watching National Geographic instead of a golf tourney.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Yeah, he went through a stage like this last season too. I suppose he's trying to bring a new style to golf commentary?! It's new alright. Good though? Eh. I found myself thinking I could do without it during today's broadcast.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

McCord is certainly tangential. He is effective in small doses. Let him off the leash and he'll try to take over the broadcast. He can't help himself, he can't shake his manic tendencies.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I would take 10 Gary McCord's over Rich Lerner in a nanosecond! I now turn the GC off when Rich is on the mic. He drives me crazy trying to prove he's buddy buddy with players and talking about all their favorite football and basketball teams. I used to think he was a good writer and witty with words, but in big doses like we get now, he is nausiating. I now turn the GC sound off and listen to music watching golf. I just can't listen to him.

Give me more of David Feherty any day!! And if not David, then Renton, Warren and Julian. And if not my fave Euro trio, then Frank and Brandel. But puleeze...no more Rich [can I find another cutzy metaphor] Lerner!

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

I've never commented on a thread dedicated to liking/disliking a golf personality. So maybe this post will be a testament to just how annoying I think Gary McCord can be. He is not funny and he is not interesting. I think it was evident that Peter Oosterhuis was also annoyed by McCord's senseless comments about the bird life on the course.

This is the reason that European commentators are so much easier to listen to. Just straight, to-the-point golf comments. No talking just to hear their own voices.

Gary McCord is a joke and I, too, turn down the volume when he speaks.

I love Gary McCord, but I can't remember the last time I watched a broadcast with him on it... I think the last two televised broadcasts I watched that weren't on the Golf Channel were the U.S. Open (Miller) and Masters (not McCord). I'd have to see this something new to comment effectively on it.

From the posts, it seems he goes everywhere. Then again, so do I.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've usually enjoyed McCord, but like somebody said, he's better in smaller doses as he doesn't really know when or how to rein it in. Like Feherty, he's effective as an accent piece, thugh Feherty can carry off a main commentary role a little better, IMO.

My wife played a corporate outing with McCord last year - said he is very strange in person.

McCord seemed over the line with Peter O, who was gracious but a bit stoney in his replies. I don't blame him. I might have suggested McCord could do his thing and I would excuse myself to go watch the coots (or mud ducks) as they seemed a bit more interesting.

RC

With what the GC currently has, I'd go with the following.

Nobilo and Peter O doing most of the talking. With Nobilo doing slightly more.
Faldo (used to really annoy me, but seems to be more tolerable this year) and Vince Cellini next in line.
Inga Hammond, Jerry Foltz, Dottie Pepper, and Tillman doing on course reporting.
Tiger's not doing much, I want 5 minutes per tournament broadcast of him video blogging his recovery or whatever. Pay him lots of money for these snippets.

I want new equipment (clubs and balls) comparisons of the players leading the tournaments.

Give brief spotlights of the ten best public courses or "you can play" in the area that the tournament is being played.

More ideas, but will hold out for consulting fee.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Show some difficult shots from the previous day. Go out on the course and have all the commentators attempt the same difficult shot. Give them one try each. Then have Leadbetter or Pelz or Haney show us how its done technically, etc. They could do this from the convenience of their current practice facility or wherever.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

I knew there was a reason that everytime I come across someone's lost Maxfli Noodle in the rough I just leave it there...

And I don't really like coffee.

(sorry)

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

McCord is an odd bird, no doubt.

Perhaps it's best if they limit his coverage to one or two holes only.

I do enjoy some of his stuff....but find if I'm getting to the point where he or any commentator irritates me then I may be watching too much golf.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I knew there was a reason that everytime I come across someone's lost Maxfli Noodle in the rough I just leave it there...

Those Noodle+ balls aren't bad, plus I like regular coffee (Maxwell House $6.95 per bucket)

.....but I can't stand Gary McCord (even my 12 yr old son thought he was annoying yesterday on the telecast), I could stomach him a lot more as a roving reporter like Dottie Pepper.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

When people quite down to nonsense questions like Oosthuizen did on Thursday, you can most certainly assume, they had a little talk afterwards...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Show some difficult shots from the previous day. Go out on the course and have all the commentators attempt the same difficult shot. Give them one try each. Then have Leadbetter or Pelz or Haney show us how its done technically, etc. They could do this from the convenience of their current practice facility or wherever.

This is a GREAT suggestion - please send it to the GC. I'm sure they can't do it exactly as you suggested, but they can do somethign along these lines.

Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!