IGNORED

1st time visitor to the Masters Tournament

scottinkc
Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You and your Dad are in for a real golf treat. Assuming you have seen the tournament on TV, the thing you will be amazed by will be the contours of the greens -- TV does not do it justice, even high def. Also, a hole like 6, which few talk about, may seem like an interesting par 3 on TV, but when you see it for real, you will be amazed. When the pin is back right, it is magical that any golfer can hit one in close.

No matter how excited you are and what you may be thinking, what you are about to see is going to exceed your expectations. It is hallowed ground.

Have a great time.

RC

You and your Dad are in for a real golf treat. Assuming you have seen the tournament on TV, the thing you will be amazed by will be the contours of the greens -- TV does not do it justice, even high def. Also, a hole like 6, which few talk about, may seem like an interesting par 3 on TV, but when you see it for real, you will be amazed. When the pin is back right, it is magical that any golfer can hit one in close.

Amen. Like I said earlier, every golfer should attend at least once in his life.

I agree with you... the Old Course, Pebble, Pine Valley, etc., are all special places but Augusta National is (in my opinion) one more step up the spiritual ladder of golf magic. Imagine playing it. The first time, I stood on that first tee box and thought I cannot remember even how to hold my grip or take the club back. It was OK at the practice area, and the practice green... I was fine. Actually hitting pretty pure. But then your heart rate jumps by double when you put the tee in the ground on one and think... I don't have the first clue what to do next. I was shaking. Mercifully, I managed to push it in the bunker on the right side of the fairway, and by an act of kindness, the golf gods permitted the sand shot to stay on the green. By forces unknown, I managed to two putt and walk off number one even par on God's golf course. It is moments like those that you never forget. I wanted to go off into the trees and giggle, cry, shout, and dance.... Augusta is like no other place in the world. You can barely breathe that first time, especially after hearing stories about some truly gifted golfers and how the tension of the first swing has produced some weird first shots, tops, shanks, whifs, etc.

RC

I agree with you... the Old Course, Pebble, Pine Valley, etc., are all special places but Augusta National is (in my opinion) one more step up the spiritual ladder of golf magic. Imagine playing it. The first time, I stood on that first tee box and thought I cannot remember even how to hold my grip or take the club back. It was OK at the practice area, and the practice green... I was fine. Actually hitting pretty pure. But then your heart rate jumps by double when you put the tee in the ground on one and think... I don't have the first clue what to do next. I was shaking. Mercifully, I managed to push it in the bunker on the right side of the fairway, and by an act of kindness, the golf gods permitted the sand shot to stay on the green. By forces unknown, I managed to two putt and walk off number one even par on God's golf course. It is moments like those that you never forget. I wanted to go off into the trees and giggle, cry, shout, and dance.... Augusta is like no other place in the world. You can barely breathe that first time, especially after hearing stories about some truly gifted golfers and how the tension of the first swing has produced some weird first shots, tops, shanks, whifs, etc.

Great post!!

• 2 weeks later...
As previous posts have stated, you are going to have the time of your life... I got to attend The Masters last year on Tuesday's practice round... We left Atlanta at 5:00 AM and got to Augusta at 7:45... Parked in the lot to the left of #5 (for free I might add) and walked right in the gate at 8:00 AM... After completely blowing my budget in the Golf Shop and going to the shipping stand to get all of my souvenirs shipped home we walked onto the course... A sign pointing to the right said Amen Corner... My friend and I walk to the stands just left of 14 tee... Perfect spot to watch shots into 13 green... A marshal says to us "you boys are in the perfect place"... I'm thinking to myself "yeah, I'm at the freaking Masters!" when I realize what he means... Walking around the dogleg of 13 is a caddie by himself... Then I see the orange headcover... Stevie is carrying the clubs and Tiger is a few steps behind him... So the first golf shots I ever see in person at The Masters are from Tiger... Granted it's only a practice round but it was awesome... Tiger putted to every conceivable location on that green... Watched him tee off on 14 then we walked the course... The undulations are unreal... The efficiency of how the tournament is run is amazing... Concessions are ridiculously low priced, even the restroom facilities are nicer than most clubs I've played... Everyone there is polite and courteous... I think I took over 300 pictures that day... By far the coolest thing I have ever experienced as far as golf is concerned... Sorry for the long post but just thinking about it brings back great memories... Have fun and take it all in... You and your dad will love it!

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

One of the neatest things I ever saw.....

Tom Lehman is a class act!!!!!

I really enjoy sitting on the 16 tee. You can watch 'em hit into 15 green. You will be able to feel, taste, touch and smell the tension they face putting off 15 and setting up for the winds on 16. It is a magical place to be...anywhere on the course. I hope that the weather is perfect for you on Master's Sunday!!!! One thing to strongly....strongly consider and take action for: It can be very....very....VERY slippery walking around the course. You may be in for a huge awakening when you see how hilly the terrain actually is in places. Don't wear dress shoes or casual shoes that are slick or even close to slick. My advice is to wear the most comfortable athetic shoes or even golf shoes that are comfortable to walk and wear but offer superior wet traction. I've seen adults of all ages slip and fall every single time I've been on the course. You don't want to spend Master's Sunday back in the hotel icing down a wound and having to watch it on television. An early start to the day is advisable. I don't think you'll encounter too much traffic on Sunday morning two hours before gate opening. Should be a nice cool drive into a parking space and a short walk through the gates of paradise. The food is super....don't pass on the chicken sandwiches....or pimento cheese sandwiches. Ya gotta eat at least a dozen between you two. Hats and most other items are super reasonable. Make sure you remember your buddies who couldn't make it with you....the golf towels and 2009 hats will be much appreciated. I suspect that you'll have to transition your father early afternoon over to 18 if you want to be in position when the final grouping holes out. Take it all in and enjoy yourselves. If you get the chance to go to French Market Grille on Berkman's Rd or French Market Grille West on Fury's Ferry Road then please....please....Palease treat yourselves to a couple of Cajun Martinis and a bowl of oyster and artichoke soup followed by whatever entree you pick. I could think of no better way to end a perfect day. A Gamin Nuvi travel computer will come in super handy for this trip and can be had all day long for less than $125. Takes the stress right out of it.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Tom Lehman is a class act!!!!!

Trust Dub, some good shoes are a MUST at the National. Whether they are trail or golf shoes, they have to be light, comfortable, good traction, and somewhat waterproof. Pinestraw from the Georgia Pines can be brutal for the most nimble person!

Also, if you get into town Saturday nite, I would suggest trying out T-Bones (for steak) or Rhineharts (for seafood) to eat dinner. Restaurants will be pretty crowded but everyone is in town to enjoy the Masters and will have a good time socializing at either place. Also, they are right down Washington Road from the National, you can take a quick ride by the course (you won't see much of it except the front gate and the logo of pansies at the end of Magnolia Lane) but it will get you familar to your surroundings for the next day!
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

Longhorn Steakhouse is also a good place to eat! It is located a little further down Washington Rd, on the right.

My bag:

Bag: TaylorMade

Driver: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S)

3W: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S),

Hy: 3 (18*) Rescue, Irons: 4-9, PW, AW TM Burner 2.0, Wedges: Rumar 56 and 60 degree, Putter: TM Ghost Blade

Ball: TM RBZ

Shoes: FootJoy DryJoys

Longhorn Steakhouse is also a good place to eat! It is located a little further down Washington Rd, on the right.

Yes it is.....ate there last night! Prime rib is excellent!

What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

• 4 years later...

Thanks to a good friend who is giving us tickets my dad and I are headed to The Masters this year!  We will only be at the tournament on Thursday and I'm looking for advice on any must do's/must see's while out there from anyone who has been or may live in there area???  We are flying in to Columbia, SC on Tuesday morning and playing golf on Wednesday so we actually don't have a ton of free time but is there anything we absolutely have to check out while in the area or at the course it self????  Thank you very much for any advice you can provide!

I always enjoy sitting in the grandstands behind the 12th tee. You get to see the approach shots into the 11th, everything on the 12th, and the tee shots on 13th (so basically all of Amen Corner from one spot). Plus Arnold Palmers and pimento and cheese sandwiches are only steps away.

Watching groups come up 9 and tee off on 10 is fun as well. The last time we went, we pretty much stayed off of the front side, except what we could see from the clubhouse area.

Also go over to the practice range/greens if you get time. Watching pros warm up is very interesting, just to see their method and watch some awesome ball-striking.

Have fun, and I hate you. ;-)

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 tee is a great place too. You see the green on 15, one of the most exciting par 5's on the course, and the great par 3 16th. If you're only there the one day, you really need to walk the course though. It's an amazing place and you'll want to at least have seen the whole thing as a reference for watching the tournament in future years..... A couple of blocks down Washington Rd is a Hooters. For that week it's the busiest Hooters in the world. They import girls from all over the country. Well worth stopping by for a cold one....:-) ......just don't bring your wife a tee shirt. For some reason they just don't seem to appreciate the sentiment. Who knew?! :~(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 tee is a great place too. You see the green on 15, one of the most exciting par 5's on the course, and the great par 3 16th.

Also a great suggestion. Too bad you won't be there for a practice round to watch the players skip balls across the pond at the 16th. KJ Choi nearly holed one out when we were there last year, and I remember Vijay holing one out several years ago.

Tyler Martin

My friend and I are attending the Practice Round and Par 3 Contest this April. I am BLESS to win the Lottery to attend the Practice round. The other news I will be having my first born a month before I will be heading out. Wife is cool and excited about me going and don't mind me heading to Augusta cause she know this is a once in a life time dream come true. I would like all of the advices like parking(how early I need to be there), etc.........

:-)

Thanks for the info guys!  I was thinking about trying to get practice round tickets when we get out there because it would be a blast to watch some of these things!

Thanks for the info guys!  I was thinking about trying to get practice round tickets when we get out there because it would be a blast to watch some of these things!

When we were there last year, we saw several people selling tickets outside the grounds. All I can say is bring a bankroll if you have any plans of buying some.

Tyler Martin

Note: This thread is 2960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!