IGNORED

Are you really good enough to play your equipment

Note: This thread is 5535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would say that it's only justified by feel. Although they may be geared towards better players, if you hit much better with them and feel a connection, I think that would justify a purchase.

Sasquatch 460 10.5
X 3 wood
X 4H
X-22's 5-PW
X Forged 52, 58 Black Series #1 Tour i X Series stand bag

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I WAS, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm too good for my equipment, but now I've got Nike CCi forged irons on the way, so we'll see how that goes.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

For years I thought that I was not nearly good enough to buy "new technology" clubs. In fact, when I started playing seriously three years ago, I went on eBay and put together a set of Taylor Made Ti Bubble II's figuring that that technology would be more than enough! Then I used my buddies TM Super Quad driver and after a number of expletives, realized that I really COULD take advantage of new age clubs. Last year I sold my Bubble II's and bought Taylor Made CGB Max irons and my own SuperQuad. I improved tremendously, and will do better this year with a potential R9 driver which I'm getting fitted for in a few weeks. At 59 I'll never be a scratch golfer, but I think I can get into single digits!!

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

I've always played equipment about to my handicap. Except when I was in a rough patch one summer. I bought used Callaway x-14s, big ass irons with a huge forgiving clubface, while i was a 5 handicap. Make the game as easy as possible for you, a lot of it is confidence and that's exactly what the x-14s gave me. I was back at my hogans quickly, which are cavity-esque long irons and forged blade short irons. The cavity/blade mix makes all the sense in the world in my opinion.

I think most double digit handicappers that play blades are tricking themselves a little bit, but confidence and results are what it's about.

Remember to practice from inside 100 yards more than any other part of your game!

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

I am........................

Ping S58 irons green dot
Ping Tour wedges 52, 56, 60 deg.
Ping G10 Driver and 3 Wood
Ping Redwoood Anser putter

SteveG.

Callaway RAZRX  4- PW Lefty
Callaway forged wedges 52 deg. 56 deg. and 60 deg. LH
Nike Covert 2.0. Driver Stiff LH set neutral 10.5 deg.
Titleist 3 Wood 15 deg.Stiff LH
Titleist 5  wood 18.5 deg. Stiff LH 
Odyssey  35", LH
Titleist Pro V1

A good friend of mine who plays the same irons I do says the same thing. He's said he'd play hot pink balls if they dropped his score by an average of 1 stroke a round.

I play hot pink balls, but only cauise they make me look hella sexy.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

Nope, but they love me anyway?

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

(Be Forewarned - The following may be overly saccharin for the uninitiated!!)

Hit the clubs you dream about.

Anything else is a compromise to things that aren't really that important. What other people think is irrelevant. They have made their choices. Make yours.

Be prepared to be frustrated, to hit a few bad shots, and have most of the world cluck their collective tongues. I'm sure they are well-meaning. Their motives are pure, I'm sure. They are probably even correct - in a empirical, Vulcan way.

But they don't know what you know. They don't hear the small voice that speaks to you when to grip "the club" that you can't hear when you grip anything else.

Who knows, you may grow into those clubs that "you are not ready to own". You wouldn't be the first. You may find that they are always too much club for you. But the real question is "what club makes you smile?"

I think you know the answer to your own question. Do what you know you want to do and don't look back for a moment. Good luck.

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

My equipment consists of a shepherd's crook and a rock, so I'm going to have to say no.

This new golf technology is really goofy to my eyes. I see driver heads the size of pumpkins, ugly irons with soles wider than the ones on my shoes and putters that look like they've been beamed in from Deep Space 9. It must work for a lot of people, but I think I'm looking for something a bit more traditional as I re-enter the game.

I may come around on the giant drivers, but I'm really afraid of hitting two feet behind the ball and snapping that graphite shaft in two. I'm sticking with my old Bullseye putter for this year at least. The irons? After a few practice sessions I have to ask, do they make game improvement irons that correct a hook?

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Yes i am good enough to play my own equipment. I dont buy into that forcing yourself to concentrate bullshit by buying blades when you are a 20 handicap. This is garbage, and a waste of anyone's time. If you cant hit the club consistantly than it will not help you. With all of this technology these days...why not take advantage of it?

Some great advice I got on this topic was:

"Can & Can't are both right...only you decide"

I was using Callaway Big Bertha irons when I decided to take lessons to improve my game. Right out of the gate the instructor pointed out I was using the wrong clubs for my swing. See a pro and get the truth rather than thinking or feeling you are using the right/wrong clubs...

Yes i am good enough to play my own equipment. I dont buy into that forcing yourself to concentrate bullshit by buying blades when you are a 20 handicap. This is garbage, and a waste of anyone's time. If you cant hit the club consistantly than it will not help you. With all of this technology these days...why not take advantage of it?

Spoken like someone with a long way to go in life.... At least wait until you're 20 before giving out such sage advice. I'm 62 and I've been playing more or less serious golf for more than 30 years.... are you trying to tell me that you know more about my game than I do? That's rich....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, I'm good enough to play my own equipment... in fact, even if I was a professional, I doubt I would play anything much different. It works for me, and I really like every piece of equipment in the bag.

I don't have a problem with people playing blades, but I don't buy into the theory that they will make someone practice better. I don't think someone should be playing blades until they can at least consistently make solid contact with the ball.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

no, I suck. I want to go back to hickory and persimmons........
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

The clubs are just tools. You swing them, not the other way around. You should play anything that excites you about using them to play and that maximizes the game you already have. With solid fundementals you should be able to play and style of clubhead that you want.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!