IGNORED

Does the left arm have to be straight

ANTC
Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does the left arm have to be straight on the up swing, I see a lot of people do it then i see alot of people that don't. At first I didn't do it my left arm bent slightly and my coach forced me to straighten my arm out. I'm always thinking about making sure i do that since it hasn't become natural yet, so now I make a lot more bad swings or top the ball but when I do get a good strike my distance is a bit further then before when i would just take a natural swing

My bag
R7 Draw Driver 9.0
Northwestern 3 wood
Texan 3/4 Hybrid 21 Degrees
Big Bertha 04 5-9 Irons Burner XD Wedges AW,SW,LW DFX 3300 Pro V1 & ProV1x Refurbs

Does the left arm have to be straight on the up swing, I see a lot of people do it then i see alot of people that don't. At first I didn't do it my left arm bent slightly and my coach forced me to straighten my arm out. I'm always thinking about making sure i do that since it hasn't become natural yet, so now I make a lot more bad swings or top the ball but when I do get a good strike my distance is a bit further then before when i would just take a natural swing

Is it possible to upload a video of my swing here to show you my left arm?

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
In my bag:Ball: I always use Pro V1Driver: ...

I'm sure you can upload it to youtube and post it here

My bag
R7 Draw Driver 9.0
Northwestern 3 wood
Big Bertha 04 5-9 Irons Burner XD Wedges AW,SW,LW DFX 3300 Pro V1 & ProV1x Refurbs

Keeping your left arm straight will help with making square contact at impact. Not everyone is able to keep their left arm straight, especially if you aren't used to it. Keep working at it and when it becomes second nature to you, you'll see the benefits.

If you are a right handed player try hitting the ball with just your left arm. When you can hit the ball 150 yards with 1 arm i think this will answer your question.

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda

You should try to keep your left arm as straight as possible. A little bend is OK, but the straighter you can keep your arm, the more power you will create and the more consistent your ballstriking will be.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

At the top of the backswing, it can be a little bent, like Curtis Strange or Paul Casey (I think). but around impact, it should straighten out. Of course, if whatever works for you works, a la Jim Furyk, then don't mess with it.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...gbv=2&aq;=f&oq;=

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think relaxed and fairly straight arm. There should be no forcing your arms to do anything, just nice gentle movements.

Its important to keep your left arm straight this will give you better control and consistency.

When you change your swing it takes awhile for it to kick in, be patience and in the long run it will definitely help your game. Look at all the pro golfers swing and you will see that your coach is helping you get better.

The more you practice the more it will become comfortable and improve your golf swing. I have found that this will keep you from going pass parallal in your backswing and tighten your golf swing.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I think relaxed and fairly straight arm. There should be no forcing your arms to do anything, just nice gentle movements.

You and wrx_junki hit the nail on the head. The left arm should be straight but not tense or rigid. After struggling with trying to stop bending my left arm (without being rigid) what I found helped me keep the arm fairly straight is doing a proper one-piece takeaway. Once I reach the end of the takeaway my right arm folds, which helps guide the left arm upward without bending, as the shoulders turn and the club reaches the top of the backswing.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Glad to help :)

Another thing is, if you keep your tempo at a moderate pace and keep the backswing short then you won't have that much of a bend at the top where a lot of the bending happens.

« Keith »

My left arm stays the same throughout the full back swing. From the starting position to the top with No extra bending.

thanks for all the advice and i checked out a bunch of pros swings so i guess i'll stick with it and keep trying it

My bag
R7 Draw Driver 9.0
Northwestern 3 wood

Yup straight throughout.

Bending it is the recipe for inconsistency because then you have to return it to straight at impact. There are too many other things that have to be perfect in your swing, why add one more?

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!