IGNORED

New Member from DC Metro Area

EngineerGolfer
Note: This thread is 5417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greetings all:

Nice to be part of the forums. I have been playing golf for about 23 years (hard to believe). I was bitten by the bug when I was just shy of 14 years old, and probably have a fairly unique tale about where I cut my teeth. Due to my father's position with the State Department, we moved to Mombasa Kenya in the fall of '86. The local golf course was cheap, relatively well-conditioned, and most importantly, right behind our house. I probably played weekly for almost our entire two years there and went from a complete hack to a 18 handicapper in that time. Here's the link to my original home course:

http://www.nyaligolf.co.ke

Since then, time on the course was frequent still through high school, college, and post-college life, up until having children. Now I play when I can, and have gotten into a weekly 9-hole golf league this summer. I am a fan of all things golf and look forward to taking part in the discussions on this forum. Also if anyone's looking for a game in the DC Metro area, I live in Frederick MD.

Dave

Hey Dave -- I live in Martinsburg...not too far away!

Where do you play in Frederick? I've got friends from Baltimore and whenever we try to find somewhere that is relatively equidistant from ourselves, we come up empty...

Maryland National and (shoot, I'm drawing a blank...the Joe Lee design off of I-70 right there in Middletown?? Grrr....) well, that other one, are nice but a little expensive for me. Hagerstown has a few good munis -- Black Rock is really nice for the price.

- Micah

Greetings all:

Welcome Dave, I also live in Frederick. What course do you play for your league? What courses do you usually play around Frederick? I usually play at the Frederick Golf Course, Glade Valley, Cluster Spires, and try to get to other local courses when I have the time.

Maryland National and (shoot, I'm drawing a blank...the Joe Lee design off of I-70 right there in Middletown?? Grrr....) well, that other one, are nice but a little expensive for me. Hagerstown has a few good munis -- Black Rock is really nice for the price.

Micah, I think your thinking of Hollow Creek, and agree that and Maryland National are a little expensive, but nice courses. Black Rock is also nice, but I hate the greens there, it's like putting on a hard floor. Hope Valley out in New Market is a very short course (Par 63), but is very challenging, a great place to work on your short game, but the course is very tight and every hole is surrounded by trees, you have to hit it straight or your in for a long day.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Dave -- I live in Martinsburg...not too far away!

Micah, you're thinking of Musket Ridge right off of I-70. I have played Musket multiple times including the Solstice Survival in 2005 (54 holes in a single day) and have always loved it although it is a bit too penal for my taste with the tall fescue rough between many of the holes (although the fescue is pretty far off the fairway).

I play at Hollow Creek in Middletown for my weekly Wednesday night league (to answer Gus's question). I'll play Clustered Spires usually once a year (nicely maintained City of Frederick operated course), and get out to Musket, MD National, Worthington Manor on a rotating basis every couple of years. I'll also venture down to Montgomery County or play in Fairfax or Loudoun counties after work too.

welcome engineer.

i am from the baltimore area, not too far. i belong to Towson Golf and Country Club in Phoenix, MD. its a great club and they have some great membership packages if you were looking. Good luck with everything.

also a quick question, what type of engineer are you? i work as a project manager in the construction field and was just curious.

-JT

Thanks JT. I am a mechanical engineer by education (B.S. and M.S. with a specialty in control systems). Now I work as a Chief Systems Engineer on software system development programs for various DOD programs.

Micah, you're thinking of Musket Ridge right off of I-70.

YES!! Thanks for the clarification! That is the one I was thinking of... I knew Mike Ahrnsbrack when he was in northern Virginia (he's back there again I know) and played Musket Ridge a few times right after it opened.

Cheers!

Hey NoGimmies. I live in Inwood. Nice to see someone local

In my Ogio Budlight Bag
Taylormade R11 Driver | Big Bertha Diablo 3W | Tight Lies 5W & 7W |
Big Bertha Diablo 24 degree hybrid | Slingshot 4D 5-PW, AW Irons | SV Tour 56* wedge |
Detour Newport 2 | Noodle Ball | Golf Logix GPS

You guys should check out Rattlewood - one of the Mont County courses. It's off Rt 27 south of 70. Just played it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Paid $25 saturday afternoon - great price and a fun course.

You guys should check out Rattlewood - one of the Mont County courses. It's off Rt 27 south of 70. Just played it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Paid $25 saturday afternoon - great price and a fun course.

I've played Rattlewood many times and I've always liked it. Just haven't gotten over there for a couple of years. Where are you in MD, vr6t?

I've played Rattlewood many times and I've always liked it. Just haven't gotten over there for a couple of years. Where are you in MD, vr6t?

Columbia. Actually playing Fairway Hills in a few hours, right down the street from me. Not sure where you are, but they have been giving away free greens fees @

www.fairwayhillsgolfclub.com . Good till the end of the month, but a got another email from them extending it till mid July if you're interested in signing up. I really like the Mont County courses. Reasonably priced, we're thinking of trying Redgate next.

Note: This thread is 5417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!