IGNORED

Mickelson's FT-9

Tom
Note: This thread is 5230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

in the "In the Bag" video

Phil talks about his new "FT-9" driver and essentially says that "...Callaway techies helped reduce or eliminate his slice", yet he doesn't say what they did.

Here is a photo I snapped from the video, then mirrored it so it looks like what a righty's driver would look like, which shows the driver

Is this just simply the "Draw" version of the FT-9, or did he have something else altered? Face it, we can all "lose it" when we're coming down the stretch... just like Phil. It'd be nice if someone knows precisely what his FT-9 had done.

Help??

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

in the "In the Bag" video found at

just found this...

http://www.golf.com/golf/video/artic...905195,00.html . Boy these Callaway people make me kind of angry. I just dropped serious coin on Callaway gear and come to find out the driver I would like to play, I can't buy... The "Tour Authentic..."

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

Basically they took out Callaway's signature S2H2 hosel and gave him a regular hosel. I've heard him say it makes the club more appealing to look at for him, so he doesn't slice is as much. More of a mental thing i guess.
There may have been more adjustments but i'm not sure.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The "Tour Authentic" model has a different hosel than the standard offering and is a much smaller head than the retail version. I've heard rumblings on some other sites that they may release it to us mortals but I wouldn't hold your breath. You can try and find one on ebay for about $1000 if you're that interested. Nike did something similar with the Dymos that Tiger, AK and others played last year which had a much smaller head so the pros could work the ball easier.

The tour players equipment these days is so far from the standard offering (except maybe Titleist) that it's getting nearly impossible to keep track of. The manufacturers build those guys whatever they want which is pretty sweet.

Funny how all the pros are trending back to smaller heads to get back to working the ball. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2010 with the groove change and more of an importance being put on finding fairways.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

The "Tour Authentic" model has a different hosel than the standard offering and is a much smaller head than the retail version. I've heard rumblings on some other sites that they may release it to us mortals but I wouldn't hold your breath. ...

The club component and design company Hireko has a fun golf blog. One of their threads was about "help us design a driver from the ground up." Hokie, I think you can find kindred spirits there. Everyday golfers are suggesting... * 460CC head is just too big. Maybe some of the 2001 Callaways / Taylormades were more solid drivers than current stuff. * Push for Thrivers. (A driver shaft with more of a 3-wood head on it.)... Somebody already makes a 13° HT driver (or something like that). * More drivers made with 43-inch shafts to improve control. * Raw distance is highly overrated for 10+ handicappers. http://blog.hirekogolf.com/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

He plays the FT-9 Tour Authentic. I think it's something to do with the hosel which is like the other normal drivers and unlike the latest Callaway drivers.
The FT-9 TA has a smaller head (i believe it's something like 400cc)

Happy bidding:

If things like that are Tour only, how does someone get one new in plastic?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The FT-9 TA or TH (for tour hosel) is only 430cc's - it has REALLY low spin and it's not something that non-pro's should really be hitting; it would be difficult to get into the air with lower swing speeds.

As stated above you could definitely get one on ebay - the reason why they're not selling like hot cakes anymore at $1000 is because Callaway is coming out with the FT Tour in March which will be the exact same thing as the FT-9 TH/TA except some weight will be moved around to increase the spin a little so that low handicap players will have an easier time getting the ball up in the air.

It's gonna retail for $500 when it comes out and will have the tour hosel as well.

This is the FT Tour that's coming out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

One of these sold (head only) for about $1200 a month ago... it's gonna be out soon so just wait it out..
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

I was able to find and talk to the FT-9 Product Manager about the availability of this club. His response was " The company is not providing more samples until two weeks prior to launch date 3/15/2010. "

Also, yesterday I called Callaway customer service about this club and this issue where a) the club is not available for purchase yet b) this club is available on Ebay. The person urged me not to buy, saying "Ebay is notorious for the source of 99% of Callaway counterfeits." So that has me worried... For example, the posting above by verse214 has a link, and at that auction page, it says "Tour Issue Only -- no serials Extremely rare." Well, of course there are no serials...

This means the clubs out there are FT-9 TA samples. Samples can be counterfeit.... I'm going to wait... Also I sent an email to the Ebay'r selling "RARE Tour Issue Callaway FT9 Tour Authentic RARE." I want one and when asked to prove it's authentic he replied " I work at a prestigous country club in Orlando and one of the touring pros gave it to me as a tip. Name is Jim Thorpe ."

Take it for what it's worth... I'm waiting...

Phil talks about his new "FT-9" driver and essentially says that "...

They need to go back to the drawing board then.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• Administrator
Phil talks about his new "FT-9" driver and essentially says that "...Callaway techies helped reduce or eliminate his slice", yet he doesn't say what they did.

They probably just told him it did that hoping that the left shot is all in Phil's head.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was able to find and talk to the FT-9 Product Manager about the availability of this club. His response was "

I don't believe that these were "samples". They were made available to Callaway staff members for purchase in 2009. Also, it's quite likely he did receive the club as a tip. The majority of all clubs sold on ebay are either taken from tour vans or received from caddies or players who don't need/use the clubs. It's also pretty easy to tell what's fake and what isn't. Just make sure you use credit card when buying on ebay so you can always charge back in case of fakes.

I actually went back to that guy asking if he'd take something lower than his reserve to pick that club up.. it's going to be a sick sick driver. (probably all hype but oh well... call me a sucker )
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Note: This thread is 5230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!