IGNORED

Nicklaus Infraction

muskegman
Note: This thread is 6392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

SI Golf reports that Nicklaus worries about a possible rules infraction at the 1974 British Open at Royal Lytham.

Apparently something hit him in the back following an ugly bunker shot. Nicklaus feels it may have been the ball which would have cost him two strokes. A rules official assured him that it was not the ball.

I think Nicklaus is worrying over nothing, especially with an official standing by. Thoughts?

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, part of me says, "you have to trust the official." But another part of me knows that if I had doubts, I would probably worry about it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Jack probably was hit by a clump of flying debris. This official knew Jack, and knew Jack would want to score this properly. There is no doubt in my mind that the official would have told him it was the ball that hit him, not debris if that was the case.

Jack has an no scoring irregularities in his career - something he should be very proud of.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

OT:

Did you guys see the picture in Golf Digest w/ Nicklaus taking Arnie's money? It was a pretty cool article too!
Jack & Arnie: The forgotten bet A previously unpublished photo captures their fierce yet friendly rivalry. By Dave Kindred

Current bag:
Driver: TaylorMade 9.5* R-510
3-wood: TaylorMade 15* r7 TP
Hybrid: Nickent 3DX Ironwood
Irons: Hogan FTXWedges: 52* Hogan Riviera | 56* Cleveland TA 588 | 60* Hogan CarnoustiePutter: Cameron Detour 2Ball:NXT

I think most pros have the same integrity. Thankfully, golf has retained the value of honesty and self-accountability. Too bad other sports don't do the same.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Nicklaus only brought this incident up so people would go, "Look at all that integrity that man has, to be bothered by something so long ago where he clearly did nothing wrong as an official was right there..."

Why is he bringing this up now? Did it really happen? If this has been weighing on him so long why did he wait to say anything? Sorry, just a shameless act of self promotion by Jack so readers will see one more reason why he is the greatest.

Also, shame on anyone who still reads Bamberger after his 'classy' display of integrity last year.

Somehow, I doubt that a possible misinterpretation by an official a half century in a tournament he didn't win is bothering Jack in the least. This hits me as a hype piece.

That said, I have tons of respect for guys like DLIII and Kurt Triplet who have lost tournaments after penalizing themselves in situations that only they were aware of.

While we're on the subject: how does everyone see rules being respected in local groups and friendly matches? The fast and loose interpretation of rules at my club has left me uninterested in the weekly competitive rounds. I am surprised at how many people will suffer the reputation of a cheat for the sake of winning a hole or shaving a stroke.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

• 2 weeks later...
is it just me, or worrying about a rule infraction 22 years after the fact is quite stupid? What's going on, did he not get enough headlines lately ? I don't get it.

• Administrator
Bingo Rafi, he has been out of the spotlight for a while and is missing it.

That's what I said. Jeff tries to give him the benefit of the doubt in the podcast (episode 40). Give it a listen.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!