IGNORED

Trying to play after a long drive

O.B. Right
Note: This thread is 5000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A few weeks ago I had occassion to drive a few hundred miles for a business trip and, since I was going to be going past a really cool course, I decided to stop and play 9 holes on the way. It was a 4 hour drive and I got there right before they stopped letting golfers out for the day so I ran right to the tee, took a few practice swings and tee'd off.

I mishit my first 20 or so shots - either fat or thin. After about the 3rd hole I started to play a little better and by hole 7 I was swinging OK. I actually made a par on 9, my only decent hole of the day.

Yesterday, I did the same thing again only this time I got to spend 20 minutes stretching before I tee'd off. Same result or even worse! I was hitting them all over the place - even for me. I couldn't settle down at all and barely hit a decent shot the whole round.

My question is . . .have you tried to do this? Can it be done? Any advice for me if I decide to try it again? I really like this course but this is probably the only way I'll ever get a chance to stop there.

My full swing actually starts out better if I don't hit the practice green (but obviously my short game suffers, so I still putt a bit if I can).

The thing that has helped me recently though is that for the first couple holes I decide that I really don't care how far I hit it. Just by thinking that, I can slow down and make sure that everything feels right for my swing. I tend to slow everything down a bit and I do lose a bit of distance, but less than 5% total distance and more accuracy is just fine with me. Starting slow and building up to my normal swing lets me get into the groove again and helps me keep my first 3 hole scores down.

Hope this helps!

The thread title tripped me up, I thought the discussion was going to be on how to take advantage of a long drive off the tee (last three rounds I have not been taking complete advantange of some very nice opening drives).

Anyway, I have driven a couple of hours to play a nice course, and all I do is some light stretching and maybe some putting to warm up. Swing smoothly, and focus on feeling the shots (to keep your focus).

The thread title tripped me up, I thought the discussion was going to be on how to take advantage of a long drive off the tee (last three rounds I have not been taking complete advantange of some very nice opening drives).

I usually "lay up" short of the green with a fat wedge after a really good drive.

As for the OP's question, I've had the same problem. I think it has something to do with being all keyed up and over-excited.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i have played numerous times where i get out of the car, put my shoes on go hit a couple putts and go to the first tee. except maybe for the first hole, it has almost no effect on my game. I believe that when someone goes to hit balls before a round, alot of ppl turn what is supposed to be a warm up session into a practice session which is not good IMO. before a round if i go to the range i hit 15-20 balls maximum just to loosen muscles, i do no thinking about mechanics or anything like that, just swings. thats if I hit balls at all. my advice would be to just take some swings like you did.. stretch the core muscles and your legs. Also, swing both righty and lefty. I find this loosens me up quicker.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

If I drive more than 2 hrs I want at least a hour before teeing off so I can hit balls, chip, putt and just in general loosen up. If I have to go off right away I just try and hit the ball with a decent swing with clubs I know I can hit. This means teeing off with my 3 wood and remembering course management. The last thing I want to think about is distance; just do a nice full swing and call that good.

As for the OP's question, I've had the same problem. I think it has something to do with being all keyed up and over-excited.

I think what you said about "over-excited" is the main reason someone would have a problem after a long drive.

I'm more of a morning golfer and always played worse in the afternoon/evening after I left the office (much like sitting in a car for a long time). I never understood why. Then I realized that during afternoon rounds I was more "jumpy" in the way I walked up the ball, the way I lined up shots, and the way I basically did everything on the course. Once I saw that, I realized I was doing the exact same thing during my swing; I was gripping the club way too tight, taking the club back way too quickly, transitioning to my downswing very abruptly, and "whipping" at the ball instead of making an even-tempo strike on the ball. Once I fixed all this, I was able to play very well.

Note: This thread is 5000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!