IGNORED

Lob Wedge... yes or no?

Note: This thread is 5139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Guys,

just curious to hear your opinion on the advantage of having a lob wedge in

the bag...
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

I have a Lob Wedge in the bag and i really like the fact that the ball stops dead where it lands, something i haven't done with my sand wedge yet. The Main Problem is i am not to good at pitching. I always aim to much to the right (I suppose i must have a serious eye problem ) and therefore the "stop dead shots" are only nice to look at but the resulst need to get better.

WitB

R7 Superquad 10.5
R7 Steel 3 Fw
2 Iron Rescue Dual MP 60 3-PW Vokey SM 56.10 Vokey SM 60.08 White Hot XG # 9

I have one.. sometimes two a 60° and a 64° however I only use one when the weather is as wet as it is..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

I have a Cleveland 60 degree wedge and I use it when I have to hit the ball high like if I short side myself. I really don't hit full shots with it. The thought of blading the ball over the green keeps me from trying it

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I love my 60* - Full shots are never a problem, short bunker shots are not so scarey, the occasional flob shot works, and I have honed a perfect 50 yard pitch. Well, perfect for me. I know that most people would say high handicappers just get into trouble with 60* wedges but I get out of it more than I get in.

I carry one, but I could live without it. I think too many high handicappers try to make it work. I also prefer to spin a sand or gap wedge then flop a lob wedge. In fact, the only time I really use it is if I got served up a fried egg and I am short sided to the pin or if I am 80 yards from the pin and it is tucked up tight to the front of the green. Otherwise, I feel better with a sand or gap wedge in my hand. I can keep my turn and swing tighter and hit a much more controlled shot.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

I cant stand the things!!!!! I only carry 13 clubs and could easily find foom for one but i dont want one!!!

Carry a sand wedge for all those tricky little shots but always try to use a lower lofted club around the greens to get the ball on the deck and 75% get up and down. I find it easier to open up a 56 to flop the ball.

I heard a while back that the R and A and the USPGA were considering banning lob wedges to bring more skill into the game. I have not heard any more but the fact that they have not rulled it out and that Tiger has shown his support to the idea that it might happen in the near future.
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

Watch one of Micklesons flop shots and tell me that is not skill. If they want to bring more skill back into the game then they need to quit making the courses so long and bring in more trees and traps. Make shots more risk-reward.

But to answer your question...a lob wedge is a must for me. It is by far the most deadly club in my bag. From 60yds in.....watch out. It is also helpful for short sided sand shots.

Driver FT-5 9.5-neutral-stiff
Wood Fusion 3 wood 15*-neutral-stiff
Irons X-forged irons 4-W
Wedges Vokey spinned milled 54* bent to 52*,56* and 60*
Putter Tour Blue TT3Balls Pro V1x

I use mine a lot. In response to the high handicappers shouldn't post I believe that any handicap level that is willing to practice with one can use them, they are just not that tough. If you are a short hitter like me, and don't hit the ball high with a lot of spin they work great for short shots into the green. I do see a lot of golfers try to do to much with them. Taking the club way outside with the face layed way open takes incredible nerve. If you are that good then you probably have other options. Since a lot of courses are adding rough close to the green, short chips, especially down hill are more consistent for me than with a bellied wedge or 7wd.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Consider the following situation:

Ball sitting in moderately deep rough about 35 yards from the green with a large, tall tree midway between the ball and the green completely blocking your approach. Trying to go under means negotiating more rough and maybe even a sand trap.

I have actually pulled this shot off two of the three times I had to try it. Open the blade on my 60-degree as wide as possible and come straight down behind the ball as hard as I can. The one time I missed, I clipped a few of the upper most branches and came up short. No other club would have given me a chance.

Definitely love my lob wedge.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Great idea. Buy one and first, use it at home and chip on the carpet to a target to get a feel for the club. The fuller shot is really no different than any other wedge. Be careful chipping with it as it is easy to skull the ball. It works great out deep trap shots, you can putt with it from the edge of the fringe, and take a full swing just off the green from deep rough. The list is endless. Keep it handy to chip on the carpet as it hones the chipping motion very well by its unforgiving blade.

Yes, I have a 60degree in my bag mainly because I can get it a little higher and stop it faster than with my 56degree (admittly it could be mental). That said, if i'm in a game/match/tournament where the number of clubs matter, if ground or wind or etc. conditions merit I might leave that one out to keep the hybrid in the bag. The two wedges I can't live without is the 56 and 52.

Currently Playing:
Driver: Custom Bang-O-Matic 460 9*, GD YS6+ Stiff
3Wood: Firesole
Hybrid: Rescue 17*
3 - PW: MX-23Wedges: Vokey: SM60.08 (OC), SM56.10 (OC), 252.08 (TC)Putter: Cameron Circa'62 No.2Ball: HXTourHome Course: MacGregor Downs CC, Cary, NC

I have a 60, but have never used it. I just got it over christmas and aside from chipping onto the couch cushions in my front room, I will have to wait for the snow to melt - but I guarantee it will be in my bag.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

I own a LW, but stopped putting it the bag a while ago. Instead, I learned to play the flop shot with a SW, open up the face, aim left (for a RH person) and give 'er a full, smooth swing with plenty of follow-through. Like Tiger does (OK, not exactly ....). It's a surprisingly reliable shot actually, you just have to commit to it and don't play off of hardpan of course.

I've got nothing against the LW really, but I needed the extra slot in the bag for another club - an extra hybrid in fact. Your experience may vary.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

As quite a few members have said, it's great for short sided shots with not much room to work with... Can work it past the hole and back as opposed to fooling with that short landing area in between a bunker and fringe....

But it all comes to preferance and course... If you're playing a longer course, you might consider as mention an extra hybrid... I've carried a 52 & 58 when I opt for two wedges...helps brige the gap...helped I bent an old one two degrees closed for this purpose..lol

But best to use course management, use full shots into the green for higher handicaps, and work on that short game twice a much as the full swing, you'll see improvement much quicker... I know the 12 footers are easier to make than the 30 footers.....

Best of luck...

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

I guy I play with is a killer with his 60. If I took it out of his bag he would be lost!!! But I never had that much success with one.
I used to have 1 in the bag but I dont carry it anymore. I always found it hard to convince myself that a 75 yard shot would need a full swing, a 3/4 SW is a much more confident shot for me to play..... and we all know what confidence does right!?!?!?!
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Yes! But you can't swing it like a weenie. The lob wedge will make a chump out of you if you let it. Just take your normal swing and let the club do the work. If you make it your BEE-ACH, you won't know how you got along without out. But if you play scared with it (look up, flip your wrists, shorten your follow through) you'll be unloading it on eBay as quick as you can say "SKULL!"
STICKS:

TAYLOR MADE R9 (9.5) (Fuji Motore)
EXOTICS XCG (15.0) (Aldila DVS)
TAYLOR MADE Rescue TP (17, 21) (Fuji Reax)MIZUNO MP-62 (5-PW) (Dynamic Gold SL Sensicore)MIZUNO MP-R (52, 56, 60) (Dynamic Gold SL Sensicore)YES! Natalie (Tiger Shark)TAYLOR MADE Black (#68)

I guess I am just odd, but I use my 60 out of the sand - my 52 is my go to wedge, either full, 3/4 or half... but if I need a good flop over an obstacle/bunker, I will use the 60. I love swinging my wedges. I probably practice more with those than any other club other than my drivers. (I have 2 and I can't decide which one I like more. Decisions, decisions.)

In my above post it should read I have a New 60 - but have yet to use it. My old one was used too much.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!