IGNORED

Sway in backswing - Good or Bad?

foxhole88
Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you have a sway as part of your take-away, is this a good thing or bad thing?  I am sure most people would say it's a bad thing because its too much movement, but does it help or make it easier to load up or time things up for your downswing?

It makes everything harder, I've never seen a golfer sway his hips and consistently make good shots.

It screws your timing up

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

I'm sure someone out there would say that it makes it easier for them, but not me. Sway makes the shot harder for me every time. How much harder is proportional to the length of the club. (Sway with the driver? Forget it.)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I'll echo what my pro told me when I first went to him.  I had some serious issues with sway.  Almost every good golfer makes a turn around a posted right leg with no sway.  He showed me clip after clip of touring pros and marked their hip positions.  Most didn't move an inch from the line.  Some are able to make a small sway work, Paul Casey is one he told me of.  I've made an effort to remove my sway and all I can say is my shots are definately more consistent, so I vote for sway=bad.

I had a really bad sway problem for a while. I couldn't turn my hips and I couldn't get my weight back up to the ball. I vote bad.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to sway BAD only with my driver. It was more powerful than it is now, but less accurate.

Happy compromise to make though

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

You don't have to sway to make your core turn.  You don't even have to really turn your core that very much just enough to make your swing consistent.  Me, not as flexible as I used to be and I catch myself over-swinging or taking an exceptionally long swing.  No need.  Less is more.

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

I went from a 20 to a 13 in one year by reducing my sway. It still not gone, it creeps into my driver shot all the time, but it's much better than before I got lessons.

When I went to get my clubs lengthened, after the first shot the pro told me about my sway (never knew about it before then). My best score before then was a 96. I'm down to an 87 this year.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!