IGNORED

3 wood use

Note: This thread is 4701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New to this site. looking for a forum community akin to what I have with other hobby. Hopefully this is it.

Anyway, question: Took up golf five years ago--am an old guy and have gotten to about 16 handicap. Through bad experience I have learned that I cannot hit my 3-wood, at least predictably (an otherwise critical club for me) if lie is even moderately sidehill, uphill or downhill or if rough is more than minimal. Instead, I rely on my 18 degree hybrid, and the difference in result is enormous, albeit with loss of distance. Is there any skill level or tips involved in using 3 wood in those situations? (My equipment insofar as relevat here is is Cobra 3 wood, and Cobra hybrids.)

Welcome !

The 3W is certaintly the hardest club to hit of the fairway. The problem with a 3W that from the fairway it is mostly used for that ultimate distance shot of 200 yds plus, with a head that is as small as you hybrid, but with a shaft that is about 2 inches longer.

It is hard to tell why you can't hit it, but I can tell you even at hc. 5 it can be a nightmare.

Maybe it is the ball position, to far to the front foot, or maybe you read somewhere you have to sweep it, hit down on it.... less forward than the driver.

Stiil for most midcappers a 5W is a better choice or even a hybrid with less loft.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

The 3 wood is probably one of the best clubs in my bag off the deck or tee though it took me a little time working with it in different situations. At first I actually had to choke down on the club about an inch which allowed me to hit it really well and as I got more used to the club I was able to grip it in a standard location. What do you tend to do when you hit the ball, do you stub it into the group, top the ball, off the toe/heel, etc..?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3W is a problem club for most mid to high handicappers. Would seriously look at replacing with a 4W (16-17 degrees). I'm still iffy with my 3 wood of the deck but can hit the snot out of my 4 wood.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Thanks. It may be that on those uneven lies, I need to move it moreback to center from its 2" or so off left heel position. I The tip you and another made re going to 4 or 5W is one great idea, but because the 3W is the alternative on short trcky holes to the drver off tee, I don't want to lose that one if possible. So I will toy with the shortened grip and more to center. On flat ground, so long as keeping slow in mind, I get good results, although margin off error on 3 seems very small relative to other clubs.

In rough (light-medium or worse), I am pretty convinced that at least for me, I shouldn't even THINK about using the 3W. But when it's bad, it generally goes down as one of my 0-3 chunks per round, evoking the classic "what the - - - - - -?" response. The slam into the ground scenario has me thinking ball position.

I have a matching 5 wood to my 3 wood and I actually have more trouble hitting the 5 wood.   I usually reserve hitting my 3 wood for off the tee for short par 4's and long par 3's.   If I have a good lie in the fairway or the ball is sitting up in the rough on a par 5, ill hit it.   I do hit it quite a bit farther than my 3 hybrid, my next longest club in the bag, probably 20-25 yards sometimes even farther on a good shot but the 3 hybrid is the higher percentage club for me.  I find if i dont try to overswing(easier said than done) and simply concentrate on making good contact, ill get better results.   Its still a crap shoot at my skill level though to hit a good shot with the 3 wood off the deck.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

I've been using a 3 wood (cobra) for a long time, basically since I started. I don't like it out of the rough because if the grass is thick it can hold the club back a bit and leave the face open.

When playing off of an odd place on the fairway many times I'll club down to a 4 hybrid. If you have a lie where a flight path may be right or left it can be hard to control a 3 wood because it's a lot of club.

So long story short I like the approach of clubbing down and going for a bit more control.

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

I find that swinging easy is the best approach with the 3W.  Let the club do the work.  If the lie is funky focus on ball position and set up, but still swing smooth and easy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!