IGNORED

Palm Springs advice

gogolfing
Note: This thread is 4032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone, I am off to Palm Springs in a week and a half with 6 hockey buddies. We are staying in La Quinta and will be there from Thursday to Monday. The organizer of the trip has us booked for Tahquitz Creek, Enscena and Terra Lago... on the Saturday, some guys are playing, others not. We are looking at playing Silver Rock or Desert Dunes on the Saturday as a foursome.

Any reviews on any of these courses, or others we may want to consider for the Saturday?

This is my first trip, so your comments will be appreciated.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Can you provide some budget restraints on your trip and if the purpose is just to enjoy the weather and drink beer, or play some serious golf. Tahquitz Creek, Escena, and Terra Lago are better price conscious options but not that great in terms of the quality of the golf. Although I have not played Terra Lago in a long time. Silver Rock is a really good course, it is on the pricier side, but a good course. I played Desert Dunes like 10 years ago and I have heard they made some improvements.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

terra lago is a great course and resonable!!! i am a csc member there i prefer the noth course  much better taquitz is good on the resort course , desert dunes is good but always windy especially this time of year pm me any further questions as well as possibly joining you guys let me know!!!

Originally Posted by mchepp

Can you provide some budget restraints on your trip and if the purpose is just to enjoy the weather and drink beer, or play some serious golf. Tahquitz Creek, Escena, and Terra Lago are better price conscious options but not that great in terms of the quality of the golf. Although I have not played Terra Lago in a long time.

Silver Rock is a really good course, it is on the pricier side, but a good course. I played Desert Dunes like 10 years ago and I have heard they made some improvements.

There are 7 of us going down; 4 of us are into the golf more than the other 3. That is why we have chosen the 3 we have so far; better deal, and we don't want anything too tough for some of the guys. On the Saturday, it will be just the 4 of us more into golf, so looking for something a little better, and price wise would go up to probably $120 for the round.

As for the beer and the weather......check and check.

Originally Posted by gogolfing

There are 7 of us going down; 4 of us are into the golf more than the other 3. That is why we have chosen the 3 we have so far; better deal, and we don't want anything too tough for some of the guys. On the Saturday, it will be just the 4 of us more into golf, so looking for something a little better, and price wise would go up to probably $120 for the round.

As for the beer and the weather......check and check.

For something nicer check out SilverRock, the courses at La Quinta Resort and PGA West, the Classic Club, Desert Willow, Indian Wells Golf Resort and Shadow Ridge. All are excellent and can be had at around $120 each on GolfNow (the PGA west courses are a bit more than that, but the most expensive was the Stadium course at $150). My personal pick from the above would be Shadow Ridge or SilverRock, but not by much. All are great.

As for Terra Lago, great layout and good prices there but just not maintained to the level as the ones I listed above... I played Encena once last year (the day before the shut down for overseeding) and really liked it and imagine that in season it is well maintatined. Desert Dunes is one of my favorites but can be VERY windy (same with Classic Club and Terra Lago). If you want to get away from the wind try to get by the mountain in La Quinta (that'd be the La Quinta Resort courses, SilverRock, and PGA West). Indian Canyons in Palm Spring is also against the Mountain and is much less windy but I haven't played there myself so I can't say how good it is.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Tristan, do you know anything about Rancho Las Palmas?  Looks like they have 27 holes but I can't find much other information.  We're going there in July and I'm in charge of booking a couple of rounds of golf and am wondering if that place is nice enough that we should play there, or if I should consider the other courses you've mentioned.  Desert Willow is pretty close by, I think.

Thanks!

From what I've heard it's on the shorter side and is pretty well maintained but nothing that'd blow you away. Decently priced. I've never played there though.[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/66079/palm-springs-advice#post_829335"]Tristan, do you know anything about Rancho Las Palmas?  Looks like they have 27 holes but I can't find much other information.  We're going there in July and I'm in charge of booking a couple of rounds of golf and am wondering if that place is nice enough that we should play there, or if I should consider the other courses you've mentioned.  Desert Willow is pretty close by, I think. Thanks! [/quote]

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

It's been a while since I've been to Palm Springs but my personal favorite is Firecreek at Desert Willow in Palm Springs.  Desert Willow was on the cover of Smithsonian when it was under construction due to the conservation measures incorporated by Mike Hurdzan in his design.  The Mountain course is a little more open but nearly as difficult.

Thanks for the suggestions...any other thoughts?

Note: This thread is 4032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!