Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tbailes

Looking for help with a high push and a snap hook miss

23 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, recently I have been struggling with a high push to the right and a snap hook that goes hard left.  I have been striking the ball dead center on most of my shots but where it is going is my biggest concern.

I am currently playing around a 10 handicap, but my scores can vary since I used to be a 3 handicap about 4 years ago before I went to college.  One day I can shoot 74 then next 94 and the inconsistencies are driving me nuts!!

Below are a couple of videos of my swing, any help or suggested drills would be greatly appreciated.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am relatively new to the game (about a year or so) but it looks like you're coming OTT. That could explain both of those misses. Try to pause the video and you can see it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a very good swing to me. The only thing I could see in the top one was if I quick paused it, it looks at the very top of the swing you start leaning forward (towards your toe line) on the way down i.e. your upper body gets lower.   In the 2nd one, not so much. Even so, really nice looking swings.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by LI Hacker

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am relatively new to the game (about a year or so) but it looks like you're coming OTT. That could explain both of those misses. Try to pause the video and you can see it.

A push is a path well to the right and a face that matches.

A snap hook is almost always a path to the right with a face well to the left (often generally pointing at the target).

Neither of those things are "over the top." Both are in fact closer to the opposite.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

A push is a path well to the right and a face that matches.

A snap hook is almost always a path to the right with a face well to the left (often generally pointing at the target).

Neither of those things are "over the top." Both are in fact closer to the opposite.

Sounds a little like either a timing issue or ball placement issue then? Same swing path but club face in different directions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It looks like at the top of the swing that the OP is going to come over the top and then it looks like he tucks the right arm and comes from the inside.

To the OP I struggle with these misses from time to time as well.  The path is consistently coming from the inside, but the face angle changes for some reason.  I had troubles this morning.  I lined up to play my fade and twice hit pull hooks and once a big push fade.  I am finding that a couple things are often not right when I am doing this.  I have strayed away from my tempo, and I also start adding tension into the swing.  I think those might be some of the things that cause it for me.  Maybe just try and focus in and make mental notes on your tempo, and the amount of tension when you swing it well so you can try and go back to it when you start struggling.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the bottom swing you hit it way off the toe! If you are hitting low hooks I would address your grip and or make sure you are not forcing your hands to turn over through impact.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am pretty sure, and I have gone through it, both of those misses are symptoms of getting the club stuck behind you. But I am not trained to diagnose or anything so maybe someone can tell you exactly why that is happening.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you need to close the face 2.4 degrees in relation to the swing path. By doing this you will develop a nice baby shank draw

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by kw purp

you need to close the face 2.4 degrees in relation to the swing path. By doing this you will develop a nice baby shank draw

Um, what?

First of all, that makes no sense and you have no stats to go off of in terms of stating a number like that.

Secondly, the OP stated two problems.. one of which is a snap hook. How is closing the face more , when a closed face is causing this problem, going to fix that problem?

Last, but certainly not least, the OP needs to read this because someone that is qualified to offer advice has already stated what is most likely causing the 2 undesired results:

Originally Posted by iacas

A push is a path well to the right and a face that matches.

A snap hook is almost always a path to the right with a face well to the left (often generally pointing at the target).

Neither of those things are "over the top." Both are in fact closer to the opposite.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by kw purp

By doing this you will develop a nice baby shank draw

He said s***k. BAN HIM

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

A push is a path well to the right and a face that matches.

A snap hook is almost always a path to the right with a face well to the left (often generally pointing at the target).

Neither of those things are "over the top." Both are in fact closer to the opposite.

I prefaced with the grain of salt comment. Also, I was just judging from the video as we can't see the ball flight. As someone else noticed it certainly looks like he is about to come OTT but may end up dropping to the inside, without a lower frame rate its hard to really tell exactly whats happening. At least in my eyes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Spyder

Um, what?

First of all, that makes no sense and you have no stats to go off of in terms of stating a number like that.

Secondly, the OP stated two problems.. one of which is a snap hook. How is closing the face more, when a closed face is causing this problem, going to fix that problem?

Last, but certainly not least, the OP needs to read this because someone that is qualified to offer advice has already stated what is most likely causing the 2 undesired results:

By closing the face 2.4 degrees with the toe pointing at his left knee cap, he will invert his swing plane causing a 360 degree club face rotation during the swing and hit a straight ball.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By closing the face 2.4 degrees with the toe pointing at his left knee cap, he will invert his swing plane causing a 360 degree club face rotation during the swing and hit a straight ball.

Please tell us that you have a prescription for those drugs you're taking...... :-\

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by kw purp

you need to close the face 2.4 degrees in relation to the swing path. By doing this you will develop a nice baby shank draw

Nothing wrong with hitting a shank, it is the good player's miss.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by kw purp

By closing the face 2.4 degrees with the toe pointing at his left knee cap, he will invert his swing plane causing a 360 degree club face rotation during the swing and hit a straight ball.

Um... again, where do you get the 2.4 from? You have no data to go off of to back your illogical attempt at "helping" the OP.

This is like David in FL saying "Hey Spyder, I can't dunk..." and me saying "Yeah, you need to flex your knee approximately 2.4° prior to launch and you will dunk", without knowing any other data.

In school, you completed multiple choice tests without reading the questions didn't you? Either that or you have some type of NSA software which allowed you to enhance the OPs video, zoom in on the club face and see exact degrees.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Spyder

Um... again, where do you get the 2.4 from? You have no data to go off of to back your illogical attempt at "helping" the OP.

This is like David in FL saying "Hey Spyder, I can't dunk..." and me saying "Yeah, you need to flex your knee approximately 2.4° prior to launch and you will dunk", without knowing any other data.

In school, you completed multiple choice tests without reading the questions didn't you?

I think he may be being sarcastic.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

I think he may be being sarcastic.

So am I, but I can have fun with him nonetheless. Slow day...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0