IGNORED

Taking a day off from practice?

marshallrocks80
Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys and gals,

I had my first golf lesson this past Sunday, and the instructor changed my grip from strong to neutral and had me put less pressure on the grip, which felt really odd, but it's working. I woke up this morning with some muscle fatigue and soreness in my hands from the change. Not pain, but the soreness you would normally feel after a lifting session after some time away from it. I went out this morning and hit a small bucket to see if my hands would hold up, which they did, but I'm still sore. My question is, should I take tomorrow off and let my hands rest, or is this something that I should work through.  My instructor wants me to ideally put 8 hours in this week before the next lesson, which is on Saturday.

Well, if you have an entire week to practice, there's no need to practice tomorrow. If you go out and play 9 holes, there's 3 hours (with a warm-up), 18 could be 5 or 6 hours.

Since it's a grip change, you can always just hold a golf club while watching TV in the evening if that's something you like to do. I keep a club in the house that I'll just hold and use to ingrain the feeling of an impact position whenever I'm bored or doing something else that doesn't require my hands.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Pretzel

Well, if you have an entire week to practice, there's no need to practice tomorrow. If you go out and play 9 holes, there's 3 hours (with a warm-up), 18 could be 5 or 6 hours.

Since it's a grip change, you can always just hold a golf club while watching TV in the evening if that's something you like to do. I keep a club in the house that I'll just hold and use to ingrain the feeling of an impact position whenever I'm bored or doing something else that doesn't require my hands.

me too in a way. i found a broken shaft on the course that extends a couple of inches past the grips.. when i do swings inside at night i use this

No!! Charge forward! Seriously though, only you can listen to what your body is telling you. But I used to have some sort of muscle pain after every lesson as I found new sets of disused ones. Not hard given my sedentary nature. A small bucket probably wouldn't hurt though

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!