IGNORED

Slice Help/my first post here

drave199
Note: This thread is 3821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so im 21 and have only seriously been golfing for about 7 months. i have played a few times here and there for a few years but never really made the effort to really play and get better. but this year i have. i have no pro help or instruction (not yet anyway) and frankly am still learning about things as i go (rules terminology etc.) i mean i know what a birdie, and bogey are though.

anyway, i have a mean slice with my driver. it seems to have really gotten worse the more i have played. maybe its because my swing speed has increased? my irons on the other hand seem to be ok. i will occasionally hit a slight fade but 4/5 times it will be straight (i do need to work on my consistency though, sometimes will blade or hit it fat) my drives on the other hand, 4/5 shots will slice, or sometimes all 5 haha.

any advice that may help? i know it hard without seeing the swing and its a bit of a shot in the dark but anything will help. i will try to get a video or pictures up soon.

thanks for any help.

The best advise I got when first starting out was to get my tempo. Distance off the tee will follow providing you make a good connection with the ball. Take your time with your swing and even take a 3/4 back swing to start.

The weapons of course descruction:

Driver:  :callaway:  RAZR 9.5 STIFF

3W     : :callaway:  RAZR STIFF

3H      : :callaway:  X HOT  STIFF

4-SW  :  CI11

GW     ::cleve: 588  50/8

P         : :odyssey:  White Hot Pro

Ball     : :callaway:  HEX BLACK TOUR

Howdy - what helped me to stop slicing was when I finally started delivering the clubhead into the ball from INSIDE the target line, instead of crossing over the target line on the downswing.  A good visual, and something you can practice is to grab a club and face a wall.  When you swing, the clubhead should never hit the wall - it should come into the ball from inside the wall.  Let me know if this helps.

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2013/05/from-slicer-to-bomber/

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

so im 21 and have only seriously been golfing for about 7 months. i have played a few times here and there for a few years but never really made the effort to really play and get better. but this year i have. i have no pro help or instruction (not yet anyway) and frankly am still learning about things as i go (rules terminology etc.) i mean i know what a birdie, and bogey are though.

anyway, i have a mean slice with my driver. it seems to have really gotten worse the more i have played. maybe its because my swing speed has increased? my irons on the other hand seem to be ok. i will occasionally hit a slight fade but 4/5 times it will be straight (i do need to work on my consistency though, sometimes will blade or hit it fat) my drives on the other hand, 4/5 shots will slice, or sometimes all 5 haha.

any advice that may help? i know it hard without seeing the swing and its a bit of a shot in the dark but anything will help. i will try to get a video or pictures up soon.

thanks for any help.

Check out these videos, will help the path be less across the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For what its worth, the way I cured my driver slice was to leave it in the bag. I finally took the advice I read somewhere that a beginner should never use a club with a loft lower than his handicap!

Seriously though, my enjoyment of the game grew in leaps and bounds when I finally came to terms with the fact that I am not a scratch golfer, and so I should stop trying to play the course like one. I had no business expecting to hit the green of a 400 yard par 4 in 2 shots. That is what a scratch golfer should expect to do. Not a relative beginner.

So I binned the driver and 3 wood, and started following the the common strategy of allowing myself an extra stroke to reach that green. Now I no longer feel that I  need a 250 yard miracle drive, followed by a 150 yard pin-point 5-iron. Three easy 8 irons will do the trick.

Suddenly I was enjoying my golf much more. I stopped trying to hit the ball too hard. My swing became much more reliable. A year later I added a hybrid, and a year later a 3 wood. I now score in the low 80's on my home course, and break 90 just about every time I play "away." I hardly ever lose a ball, and hardly ever hold anyone up while I search for my ball.

I only started playing in my late 40's. You have a 20 year head start, and you already hit your irons decently! Forget about distance (for now), build a reliable iron swing, and you will enjoy the game much more.

Get the "hammer driver" heard it works. And u can always talk to a slice..but can't talk to a hook

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

For what its worth, the way I cured my driver slice was to leave it in the bag. I finally took the advice I read somewhere that a beginner should never use a club with a loft lower than his handicap!

Seriously though, my enjoyment of the game grew in leaps and bounds when I finally came to terms with the fact that I am not a scratch golfer, and so I should stop trying to play the course like one. I had no business expecting to hit the green of a 400 yard par 4 in 2 shots. That is what a scratch golfer should expect to do. Not a relative beginner.

So I binned the driver and 3 wood, and started following the the common strategy of allowing myself an extra stroke to reach that green. Now I no longer feel that I  need a 250 yard miracle drive, followed by a 150 yard pin-point 5-iron. Three easy 8 irons will do the trick.

Suddenly I was enjoying my golf much more. I stopped trying to hit the ball too hard. My swing became much more reliable. A year later I added a hybrid, and a year later a 3 wood. I now score in the low 80's on my home course, and break 90 just about every time I play "away." I hardly ever lose a ball, and hardly ever hold anyone up while I search for my ball.

I only started playing in my late 40's. You have a 20 year head start, and you already hit your irons decently! Forget about distance (for now), build a reliable iron swing, and you will enjoy the game much more.

thanks for the advice! at this point, im not worried about hitting it 400 yards. id be happy with a 250 yard STRAIGHT drive and land in the middle of the fairway haha

Note: This thread is 3821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!