Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DoubleEagle

4 Wood???????

10 posts in this topic

I have driver (which I don't hit very often), 3 Wood, and then go to 3i Hybrid.  Hit 3 wood normally 230, 3i Hybrid about 190.  Would I benefit by having  4 Wood in the bag?  Currently only carry 12 clubs in the bag....Would a 4 Wood fit between the 3 Wood and the 3i Hybrid?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

With a 40 yard gap between 3W and 3H, I suspect a 5W would do more good for you than a 4W. Are your 3W and 3H the same model?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A club doesn't help you unless you hit it consistently. 200 yard shots are trouble.  If you hit your 3w ok 2/3s of the time you are doing good.

Having a 3w and a 4w doesn't really make sense. Ditto on possibly a 5w. Personally I don't really worry too much about the gaps from 200+... I rarely hit greens from that distance

Guessing you have a 15ish degree 3 wood, a 18-19 degree 5 wood is a viable choice. Try some out in the store and see what your distance is.

You might be better exploring a Hybrid with a loft around the 18 deg, plenty of them out there to choose from.

Take the money and get a lesson on how to hit driver. Or have the driver shaft shortened. I would not worry about less than 230. I' d worry about greater than. You are giving up a two club advantage going into a green.

5W would probably do a better job of splitting the distance between 3W and 3H.

Once up on a time, the 3W and 4W often had 4* difference in loft. Now, the 3W and 4W may only have 2* difference or less. In my case, the Tour Edge XRail 3W is 15*, while the 4W is 16.5*. Other offerings:

• TM SLDR: 3W = 15* / 3W.HL = 17* (Same as for RBZ and RBZ, Stage 2)
  • Callaway X2Hot: 3W = 15* / 4W = 17*

These days, in some bags you see 4W + hybrids, or 4W + 7W (replacing 3W + 5W).. maybe with a hybrid or two

For most people there isn't a huge difference between a 3w & 4w.    Might go with a long iron for tight fairway tee shots & punch outs from under trees or an ultra lob 64° wedge if you have room in the bag

For most people there isn't a huge difference between a 3w & 4w.    Might go with a long iron for tight fairway tee shots & punch outs from under trees or an ultra lob 64° wedge if you have room in the bag

I think the inconsistency of ball striking along with most people are not trying to stick the green but rather hit a lay up shot on par fives. If you are just looking to lay up most of the time, back off the 3 wood and get a 2 hybrid or 5 wood for a 205 shot. It seems like the general max of munis par 3's is around 200. Something in that range that you hit rather accurately would be beneficial.