IGNORED

4 Wood???????

Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have driver (which I don't hit very often), 3 Wood, and then go to 3i Hybrid.  Hit 3 wood normally 230, 3i Hybrid about 190.  Would I benefit by having  4 Wood in the bag?  Currently only carry 12 clubs in the bag....Would a 4 Wood fit between the 3 Wood and the 3i Hybrid?

Roy

With a 40 yard gap between 3W and 3H, I suspect a 5W would do more good for you than a 4W. Are your 3W and 3H the same model?
  • Upvote 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A club doesn't help you unless you hit it consistently. 200 yard shots are trouble.  If you hit your 3w ok 2/3s of the time you are doing good.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Having a 3w and a 4w doesn't really make sense. Ditto on possibly a 5w. Personally I don't really worry too much about the gaps from 200+... I rarely hit greens from that distance

Guessing you have a 15ish degree 3 wood, a 18-19 degree 5 wood is a viable choice. Try some out in the store and see what your distance is.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

You might be better exploring a Hybrid with a loft around the 18 deg, plenty of them out there to choose from.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Fairway 16.5 deg

Ping Rapture 2 Iron 18 deg (Alternet 20deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping I 20 Hybrid 20 deg      (Alternet 23 deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Ping Tour Wedge SS 52 deg

Guerin Rife Barbados Putter (Alternet Odyssey White Ice 6 355g)

Preferred Ball Srixon Z Star.

Take the money and get a lesson on how to hit driver. Or have the driver shaft shortened. I would not worry about less than 230. I' d worry about greater than. You are giving up a two club advantage going into a green.

5W would probably do a better job of splitting the distance between 3W and 3H.

Once up on a time, the 3W and 4W often had 4* difference in loft. Now, the 3W and 4W may only have 2* difference or less. In my case, the Tour Edge XRail 3W is 15*, while the 4W is 16.5*. Other offerings:

• TM SLDR: 3W = 15* / 3W.HL = 17* (Same as for RBZ and RBZ, Stage 2)
  • Callaway X2Hot: 3W = 15* / 4W = 17*

These days, in some bags you see 4W + hybrids, or 4W + 7W (replacing 3W + 5W).. maybe with a hybrid or two

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

For most people there isn't a huge difference between a 3w & 4w.    Might go with a long iron for tight fairway tee shots & punch outs from under trees or an ultra lob 64° wedge if you have room in the bag

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

For most people there isn't a huge difference between a 3w & 4w.    Might go with a long iron for tight fairway tee shots & punch outs from under trees or an ultra lob 64° wedge if you have room in the bag

I think the inconsistency of ball striking along with most people are not trying to stick the green but rather hit a lay up shot on par fives. If you are just looking to lay up most of the time, back off the 3 wood and get a 2 hybrid or 5 wood for a 205 shot. It seems like the general max of munis par 3's is around 200. Something in that range that you hit rather accurately would be beneficial.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!