IGNORED

New Irons and Custom Fittings

Note: This thread is 3342 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all!

My first post here so I will explain my background and what I am looking to achieve. First of all I am 26 and have played golf on and off since I was a kid, it has always come sort of natural to me. Not saying I am a good golfer but usually for the amount of times Ive played/practiced shows in my score (more I play the lower the score and vice versa). I seem to usually shoot about 90 or there about depending on the course difficulty. I plan to finally nail my handicap this year as I have never really cared enough to figure it out. About 6-7 years ago my dad bought me a Top Flite all in one, everything you need in a box type thing. The only thing I have done to those is had them re-gripped, which for the amount of time I play has been working well enough but now that I am getting more serious it is time for an upgrade. Anyway here are my questions.

1) My dad has a set of TM Rocketbladez HL irons that I don't think he has even used yet, he said he would be more than happy to give them to me. I plan on going into a shop this week to figure out exactly what my club head speed but I am sure I usually have a high club head speed, my guess is around 90-100. So i know these clubs have the regular flex so just kind of guessing with this info but do i take the clubs with regular flex or buy new ones with a stiff flex?

2) Obviously club fitting is beneficial and I have never had it done but I figure if I plan on playing a lot why not? So I guess my second question is do I really need to do this or should I see where a new set of clubs off the shelf gets me?

I am not trying to be a pro but any help is better than none. So what are your opinions on this?

Thanks in advance for the help, it is appreciated

Hello all! 1) My dad has a set of TM Rocketbladez HL irons that I don't think he has even used yet, he said he would be more than happy to give them to me. I plan on going into a shop this week to figure out exactly what my club head speed but I am sure I usually have a high club head speed, my guess is around 90-100. So i know these clubs have the regular flex so just kind of guessing with this info but do i take the clubs with regular flex or buy new ones with a stiff flex?

If he bought them, they're probably clubs he wants. What would he do if you take them? I'd say don't take them -- go and select your own. If he wants to help you pay for them, great. But I wouldn't take a likely ill-fit set just because they're free (see next point) [quote name="th3godf4th3r" url="/t/80529/new-irons-and-custom-fittings#post_1111308"] 2) Obviously club fitting is beneficial and I have never had it done but I figure if I plan on playing a lot why not? So I guess my second question is do I really need to do this or should I see where a new set of clubs off the shelf gets me? [/quote] I think the right fit is more important at your level than it is as one gets better. Getting the right fit for shaft length and flex is huge. I'm sure a few of the pros around here could break 80 with my mom's clubs. Also, the simple fits - length, lie, flex - are generally free. If the store wants to charge you for the fitting, go elsewhere. Find a demo or fitting day - every major OEM does them regularly. Then order from them, instead of looking for the item in stock. If your fit in stiff flex, soft stepped, at +.5" shaft length, any major OEM won't charge you more for that set. You just have to wait a week. And if the store wants to charge you more for that set, order it online (from somewhere reputable) and have it shipped to you. If you want a super complex fitting, with the "perfect" shaft in every club after going through a hundred combinations, that's going to cost you, sure. But a basic fit should never be something you pay for.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello all!

My first post here so I will explain my background and what I am looking to achieve. First of all I am 26 and have played golf on and off since I was a kid, it has always come sort of natural to me. Not saying I am a good golfer but usually for the amount of times Ive played/practiced shows in my score (more I play the lower the score and vice versa). I seem to usually shoot about 90 or there about depending on the course difficulty. I plan to finally nail my handicap this year as I have never really cared enough to figure it out. About 6-7 years ago my dad bought me a Top Flite all in one, everything you need in a box type thing. The only thing I have done to those is had them re-gripped, which for the amount of time I play has been working well enough but now that I am getting more serious it is time for an upgrade. Anyway here are my questions.

1) My dad has a set of TM Rocketbladez HL irons that I don't think he has even used yet, he said he would be more than happy to give them to me. I plan on going into a shop this week to figure out exactly what my club head speed but I am sure I usually have a high club head speed, my guess is around 90-100. So i know these clubs have the regular flex so just kind of guessing with this info but do i take the clubs with regular flex or buy new ones with a stiff flex?

2) Obviously club fitting is beneficial and I have never had it done but I figure if I plan on playing a lot why not? So I guess my second question is do I really need to do this or should I see where a new set of clubs off the shelf gets me?

I am not trying to be a pro but any help is better than none. So what are your opinions on this?

Thanks in advance for the help, it is appreciated

Play the Rocketbladez until you know what you need from a new set of clubs. It's entirely conceivable that they're a good fit for you. They're really good clubs. The HLs launch a bit higher than the regular model but see how it goes. That's probably not a bad thing.

Don't worry about the shaft flex thing. A driver swing speed in that range would mean you're likely to be fine in either a regular or stiff flex iron. My driver is about 97-102 depending on the day, and I play regular flex irons. If I were to buy a new set today, all else being equal, I'd probably get stiff flex because I like the feel better if I compare the two side by side, but it's not something I notice day to day, especially since I'm using these irons all the time. You would be unlikely to see any performance difference.

Honestly, I think the performance difference you'd find going from the Top Flite set you game now to the Rocketbladez would be substantially greater than the difference going from Rocketbladez to 2015 equipment.

All of this assumes you're average height. If you're within a few inches either way of 6', you're likely to be OK with stock clubs. This should be instructive:

http://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/custom/clubfitting.aspx

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Thanks for the opinions, my dad just bought them a year or two ago but has started having back problems and maybe plays 1-2 times a year now so he could just use my old ones.

I will just plan on going into a shop today and hit a few different types. I am 5'11 so I would think there should not be a problem, and thats what I figured that even with just a little better club I could improve enough to be where I want.

I am looking to stay at or under $400, so what are some other clubs you guys would recommend?

It appears you just want to go out and buy a shiney new set of clubs, even though there is a perfectly good newish set available for free? I don't blame you, going to buy and get fitted for a new set of clubs is like Christmas for adults! But I would suggest you wait, because as you play more your swing will evolve (hopefully for the better) work on your swing and technique for a bit, then when your swing becomes more consistent, get a fitting! I'm not referring to you, but, I believe too many beginners rush out and get clubs fitted to crappy swings, myself included, and should actually learn to swing a club before potentially wasting money! But hey, if money wasn't a problem I'd be getting fitted every year lol!

Gaz Lee

It appears you just want to go out and buy a shiney new set of clubs, even though there is a perfectly good newish set available for free?

I don't blame you, going to buy and get fitted for a new set of clubs is like Christmas for adults! But I would suggest you wait, because as you play more your swing will evolve (hopefully for the better) work on your swing and technique for a bit, then when your swing becomes more consistent, get a fitting!

I'm not referring to you, but, I believe too many beginners rush out and get clubs fitted to crappy swings, myself included, and should actually learn to swing a club before potentially wasting money!

But hey, if money wasn't a problem I'd be getting fitted every year lol!

lol obviously I would take the clubs, I was just exploring my options/seeking opinions. I definitely need to get my swing figured out but I seem to have more problems using my driver rather than my irons.

I'd play these clubs for this year and take lessons! Even if the shafts are a little soft right now, it won't make that much difference until you get your swing in order. Find a good pro in your area, and there are a few of them in Seattle.

Yeah, and the driver is the most difficult club in the bag. For now while you're learning, tee it forward, use what you can hit, and work your way up to your driver.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3342 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!