IGNORED

What brand manufacture these clubs

craps
Note: This thread is 3108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Trying to find a set of clubs with leading edge of club face directly in line with shaft. No offset at all. Its like every club built the same as a pitching wedge. One reason is for lining up with more ease. Am I again talking more craps?

The manufacturers only seem to kill the offset in their blade style models. We've all been looking for that pretty SGI iron without the offset but nobody seems to make one.

Edited by SavvySwede

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Trying to find a set of clubs with leading edge of club face directly in line with shaft. No offset at all. Its like every club built the same as a pitching wedge. One reason is for lining up with more ease. Am I again talking more craps?

Every club is probably going to have offset. The least offset I've ever seen was on a Miura Iron. Everything from the PW to a 4 iron has 1/10th of an inch of offset. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My uncle useda set of Srixon blades last year that had pretty much no offset (as @saevel25 said they all have some). Now, he is an excellent golfer but even he admitted defeat and got Ping I25's

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My uncle useda set of Srixon blades last year that had pretty much no offset (as @saevel25 said they all have some). Now, he is an excellent golfer but even he admitted defeat and got Ping I25's

What makes them hard to hit?

Most amateurs do not have the club head speed to optimize their distance on clubs designed for better players. Clubs with more offset are designed for players who struggle to get the ball in the air or maximize their carry distance. 

Also, less offset is usually designed into clubs that have less forgiving features. Less perimeter weighting. This means that the ball speed drops off a lot on off center hits. So for a person who struggles in finding the sweet spot of the club they will be penalized a lot more versus a game improvement iron. 

Could a company design a club with little off set and other game improvement iron tech, sure. There has been a few instances were this has happened. A few Taylormade irons have been designed this way. The SLDR irons had less offset and was a more game improvement iron. 

Offset always seems to be something that varies greatly in the game improvement irons. 

Blade style irons just don't have the features needed to help golfers who don't have the club head speed to maximize their distance and the quality of strike to ensure they don't get overly penalized for their mishits. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Blades are usually more difficult to hit because off center hits are much more punishing. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have anything to do with the lack of offset. For instance, my MP-52 have very little offset and are much easier to hit than my either my MP-32 or CG Tour Blades.

Less offset is probably more of a personal preference than anything else?

Mizuno is a decent brand.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If offset is game improvemt, why so little? More offset will make the golfer feel he had the ball trapped.

Blades are usually more difficult to hit because off center hits are much more punishing. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have anything to do with the lack of offset. For instance, my MP-52 have very little offset and are much easier to hit than my either my MP-32 or CG Tour Blades.

Less offset is probably more of a personal preference than anything else?

Mizuno is a decent brand.

If offset do good, why is it so little? Why not more??

It kind of depends upon how you like the look of the club at setup, it's not good or bad.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here you go sir even at your handicap over time they will improve your game. If you got the dough get them in graphite or lite steel don't fall for the game improvement trap it's actually due to the really lite shafts on a ping g25 that helps you thing your smacking the ball. The heads of course are more forgiving but are in no way better on solid hits which is how you should be judging your game not your misses.

http://kzg.com/-zo-blades

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+equipment/5-4172-A_Matter_of_Offset.html

Offset is generally a terrible thing for anything 6 iron and above and for a really good player none at all is preferable.

Edited by Mike Boatright

So far, I got varieties of info. Some say it is a cosmetic thing, some say it helps to get the ball airborne, some says it helps square the club face. Keep them coming. What's next?

771 CSI

I haven't played them but am highly considering getting fitted for a set.

According to the description they have minimal offset, relatively compact head, max game improvement features.  You've got to get it from a custom club builder but that's not a bad thing.

Just curious, why not make oversized blades with muscle backs no offset? Iam sure a lot of low handicappers would buy it. Are the new BEN HOGAN FORT WORTH IRONS heading in this direction?

Offset just helps get the ball in the air. It's not good for everyone. Also it has a tendency to make people aim the club left. 

Just curious, why not make oversized blades with muscle backs no offset? Iam sure a lot of low handicappers would buy it. Are the new BEN HOGAN FORT WORTH IRONS heading in this direction?

First, it's a crap load of material and the club would be very heavy compared to other clubs. The reason you make oversized is because you take away the material so you can improve the forgiveness. Also the more GI tech you get the higher the ball will launch, which benefits low club head speed. 

This is why clubs have become stronger in lofts. For people with higher swing speeds its hard to keep the ball down enough with GI type clubs. I demo'd the SLDR's and I launched those things way too high. That was with KBS Tour X-stiff shafts. It was actually kinda crazy how high those things went. 

Here are some clubs that would be larger than your typical MB style better player irons that have little offset. Still you will not really find clubs that are true MB that are over sized. I just don't think you can make a club like that unless you use a lighter weight material. 

http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Products/JPX-850-FORGED-4-GW-XP115-LH
http://taylormadegolf.com/PSi-Irons/DW-WZ354.html#start=1
http://taylormadegolf.com/SLDR-Irons/DW-WZ114.html#start=10

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Offset just helps get the ball in the air. It's not good for everyone. Also it has a tendency to make people aim the club left. 

First, it's a crap load of material and the club would be very heavy compared to other clubs. The reason you make oversized is because you take away the material so you can improve the forgiveness. Also the more GI tech you get the higher the ball will launch, which benefits low club head speed. 

This is why clubs have become stronger in lofts. For people with higher swing speeds its hard to keep the ball down enough with GI type clubs. I demo'd the SLDR's and I launched those things way too high. That was with KBS Tour X-stiff shafts. It was actually kinda crazy how high those things went. 

Here are some clubs that would be larger than your typical MB style better player irons that have little offset. Still you will not really find clubs that are true MB that are over sized. I just don't think you can make a club like that unless you use a lighter weight material. 

Your thoughts on this subject does make some sense but how can one argue with the great Albert Einstein"s E=MV2. If more mass(weight) + velocity is channeled, more energy will be generated at impact thus producing more distance. Oversize is not far from normal size. Besides those MB clubs that you recommended above are made bigger than normal. The new HOGAN FORTH WORTH 15 irons is like mid-size. So I think MB clubs does move in the direction that I mentioned earlier. I have a single Tommy Aaron MB 7 iron which has a large face. Some old guy gave it to me when I was asking him about golf in his farm in Kentucky 20 yrs ago. That was the club that he asked me to practice with. I did not return the club to him but until today, I still use it. It is so easy to set up to the ball because it has a square sole with a very straight leading edge. Its made by Spalding. Until today I can't find any expensive clubs that was close to it.

Your thoughts on this subject does make some sense but how can one argue with the great Albert Einstein"s E=MV2. If more mass(weight) + velocity is channeled, more energy will be generated at impact thus producing more distance. Oversize is not far from normal size. 

It is for players who can only swing a driver 90 mph. In the end it's all on inertia. Also it's the ability of the player to maximize the two contradictions. The lighter the clubhead the faster it goes, but the less energy is transferred. The heavier the clubhead the slower it goes, and the more energy is transferred. 

An example would be with the driver. This is why club makers have made clubs in the 190-210 gram clubhead weight for a long time now. Studies has shown that there is this sweet spot range that allows the optimization of swing speed to energy transfer. For a driver it's a 20 gram range. 

Could they make MB's larger, maybe. 20 grams of steel is about 7 pennies in volume. 

I didn't recommend MB's. Those are all cavity backs of some sort. Again, you will hardly ever find an MB that has game improvement features. Just the fact that most GI features need the weight to be elsewhere. Also, there just isn't a market for oversized MB's. In the end if you get to the point you want a players iron you are going to go for it. If you want something a bit more forgiving then you end up with a cavity back design. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

Your thoughts on this subject makes sense but oversized clubs are really NOT that big and heavy. Besides, how can one argue with Mr Einstein's E = mc2  More mass and velocity with create more energy with will impact ball ball with more force creating more distance. Unless USGA has a limit on club head weight, I don't  see why not. I noticed the new Ben Hogan Forth Worth 15 irons has a mid-sized club head. Anyway what do you call thisv

So, what do you call these?

cleveland-vas-1.jpg

lil-david-slingers.jpg

Edited by craps

So, what do you call these?

cleveland-vas-1.jpg

The ugliest pieces of crap I  have ever seen. I mean who even thought of that idea. OMG, those are ugly. 

Those are cavity back irons. See below, the Titleist CB "Cavity Back" irons. Notice how there is an recess in the back of the iron.  Same as the ones you posted above. 

bc_titliest_710_back.thumb.jpg.3823253dfce

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!