IGNORED

Being a good Samaritan ...

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was driving to a range for golf practice.   In opposite direction, a pick-up truck was stopped in the middle of a street, and a man lying down next to it.  My immediate thought/impression was that the truck just hit a pedestrian.    I stopped my car, waited for oncoming traffic to pass, and walked across, taking a mental note of the truck's license plate in case they drive away.  It turns out, the couple from the pick-up truck were being a good Samaritans.   They saw a man flat on his back in the middle of the street, stopped, and were tending to him.   I joined in and moved him to a sidewalk.   The man was incoherent, didn't appear to have external injuries but barely can move.   We asked him what happened but he could not say.   He kept wanting to call his family member nearby but can't give us a valid phone number.   He didn't want us to call paramedics but given his condition, we called 911 for paramedics.   We tended to him until the paramedics and a police car came by.   It wasn't a big deal but I have never been in this situation before - being at the right place at the right time to help another person in trouble.  I felt I did something worthwhile instead of going about my selfish ways.   I felt good.

I am sure you have similar stories you'd like to share? 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

I felt good.

To all the good people on this planet......  :beer:

My wife and I were traveling home one evening and as a car passed us a deer jumped in front of their car. I step on the brakes as the other car did likewise.

I pulled off to the right side shoulder and turned my flashers on, grabbed my phone and went over to the other car. There were four women who had been out shopping in the vehicle, they were startled and ok. The driver was already on her phone calling her husband. I told the woman to pull her car off of the highway to the shoulder for safety.

I waited until a state trooper arrived to asset them then continued on our travel. They deer did a number on the Ford Explorers front grill, crushed the ac radiator, anti-freeze leaked out and I told the woman she shouldn't drive the car. They were only a few miles from home, so at least they wouldn't be waiting long for a ride home.

I was relieved the incident was minor with no injuries.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator

This is as good a time as any to remind people to set their emergency contact info on their iPhones, Androids, etc. Mine lists my blood type and allows for calls to my two ICE contacts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

This is as good a time as any to remind people to set their emergency contact info on their iPhones, Androids, etc. Mine lists my blood type and allows for calls to my two ICE contacts.

How do you have it listed, under ICE as the contact?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
Just now, boogielicious said:

How do you have it listed, under ICE as the contact?

No. Fill out your Emergency settings and they can get to it without even being able to unlock your phone.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/24/how-to-set-up-your-emergency-medical-id-with-ios-8s-new-health-app

In addition to your blood type, allergies, etc. you can specify your ICE(s) there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
On December 19, 2015 at 8:55 AM, iacas said:

Can u pls tell me how to do it. Maybe in a pm or something if its not appropriate here. I have iphone six and low tech skills. Lol

Oops. Page failed to load remaining posts. I see ur included instructions. Thanks for that!

That is a good link @iacas.  Thanks, just updated mine and sent link to my wife to make sure she can do the same

I like to help people when I can and have a few times that I can remember doing something.  Better than that though have been the times when someone has done the same to me.

One day my wife was running late and called to tell me to leave work right away and pick up our daughter from after day care.  Any parents with kids in it know they charge you a ton for every minute you are late.  So, knowing I was low on gas and time I decided to gamble.  I got to the off-ramp and when the light turned green car died.  Major suck.  Opened door to start pushing and just as I did some guy came up and got behind and helped me push it into a bank parking lot that was right there.  It was nice.  Had to walk to gas station buy a gas can, fill it.  Take it back, put it in and then went home because by that time my wife went and picked her up.  I had never in my life ran out of gas before and I felt like a heel.  Thank you to that gentleman for being a good Samaritan!

Edited by Gator Hazard

On 12/19/2015 at 10:12 PM, rkim291968 said:

I was driving to a range for golf practice.   In opposite direction, a pick-up truck was stopped in the middle of a street, and a man lying down next to it.  My immediate thought/impression was that the truck just hit a pedestrian.    I stopped my car, waited for oncoming traffic to pass, and walked across, taking a mental note of the truck's license plate in case they drive away.  It turns out, the couple from the pick-up truck were being a good Samaritans.   They saw a man flat on his back in the middle of the street, stopped, and were tending to him.   I joined in and moved him to a sidewalk.   The man was incoherent, didn't appear to have external injuries but barely can move.   We asked him what happened but he could not say.   He kept wanting to call his family member nearby but can't give us a valid phone number.   He didn't want us to call paramedics but given his condition, we called 911 for paramedics.   We tended to him until the paramedics and a police car came by.   It wasn't a big deal but I have never been in this situation before - being at the right place at the right time to help another person in trouble.  I felt I did something worthwhile instead of going about my selfish ways.   I felt good.

I am sure you have similar stories you'd like to share? 

Well done. Right choice.

Driving southbound on the Interstate I saw someone spin out and hit the center guiderail from northbound lanes with hood buckling and glass flying. Pulled over immediately and crossed to offer help. Called 911 immediately. Girl was shaken up so I checked to make sure she didn't have any neck injuries then helped her get out of the car and encouraged her to just sit down a safe distance on the grass while we waited for a Trooper to come.

Another time I saw a woman trying to change a tire by the side of the road and offered to help. It was a good thing too, because at least one of the lug nuts was on so tight that I think I lifted the corner of the small car off the ground trying to break it free. This was when I was still in rowing shape and could squat multiple sets of 20 with 300+ pounds. She probably would have been there for a while - or until someone with a long bar tire iron came along or she called for a tow.

One time I saw an elderly person trying to push one of those get-around carts down the sidewalk. Ran out of juice. Pushed it home for him(?) a couple of blocks to his residence.

Have stopped multiple times to jump start dead batteries, push cars out of snow, and otherwise ask if folks are okay (& offer to call 911) if they look stuck.

I've been fortunate to get help in similar situations so always glad to pay it forward or then some when I can or it looks serious.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!