IGNORED

To get certified or not.

advancinggolfer
Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I decided that I want to become a golf instructor. I feel strongly this is the year to do so. I've seen a class that would allow me to get my certification and a summer class to get fully certified to get myself a pro instructor title. My main question is; is it worth it? Do you need this to be a golf instructor? Would it make me more reputable?

Certifications are good and can open doors to areas you may not have access to otherwise, BUT your game had better be on point, otherwise the certifications mean nothing. This applies to most things. Good-luck with becoming an instructor.

1 hour ago, advancinggolfer said:

I decided that I want to become a golf instructor. I feel strongly this is the year to do so. I've seen a class that would allow me to get my certification and a summer class to get fully certified to get myself a pro instructor title. My main question is; is it worth it? Do you need this to be a golf instructor? Would it make me more reputable?

Anyone can become a golf instructor simply by declaring themselves as such, but you will lose your amateur status the moment you receive money for it. That being said, this seems like a premature move. Looking at your previous posts you have very little experience playing golf. (Claiming only about 40 career rounds only a few months ago). I suggest you enjoy your amateur status, play in some tournaments, and explore further what the game has to offer you as a hobby before you decide to go into the business. 

Some follow up questions? Age? Current occupation? Would you plan on doing it full or part time?, etc

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, advancinggolfer said:

My main question is; is it worth it? Do you need this to be a golf instructor? Would it make me more reputable?

You don't need it to be a golf instructor but it can help. With your clients and with your own knowledge. I'd highly recommend getting certified in the 5 Simple Keys and Lowest Score Wins.

http://lowestscorewins.com/news/instructors-now-teaching-lowest-score-wins-clinics

@iacas is the owner of this site and Director of Instructor development for 5SK and co-author of LSW.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!