IGNORED

new driver shaft

vangator
Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a Titleist 910D2 from a friend of mine for $50.  It's a great driver, but I would hit some big hooks every now and then.  The shaft was a Diamana 62 S flex (the blue one).  He had pulled a Diamana 72 S flex (the black one) from another club he has and sold that and an extra adapter to me for $30.  Another great deal.  I epoxied the adapter on and took it to the range today.  I tried a few different settings but the D4 setting (STD lie 0.5* closed) turned out to be a winner.  I was hitting beautiful high draws time after time.  I've never hit a driver so well.  This shaft is slightly heavier and my transition was infinitely better.

I can't wait till this weekend to take it to the course!  I know the golf gods will probably skewer me now.

Right now I'm thinking that the extra weight really helped my swing.  So, I just put some new irons in play that have some lighter shafts than my previous set.  I hit my previous set a little better.  The new set is pretty consistent, but every now and then I hit a bigger draw than what I like and normally hit.  So, I think I may get the old lead tape out and crank up the weight of the irons.  I know the swing speed will go down a little but I'm not worried about distance.  Just accuracy.

Anybody else have a similar experience with heavier shafts?

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My favorite driver shaft of all time was 95g. I'll be going back in that direction next time I upgrade the woods.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

My favorite driver shaft of all time was 95g. I'll be going back in that direction next time I upgrade the woods.

95g is pretty heavy these days.  It might be fun to crank up the weight of the driver as well.  I've read a few threads here that have talked about heavy drivers.

I got out my digital scale and found out 1 inch of tape is 1 gram.  How convenient.  Probably everybody else already knew that. :-)  I'm thinking of simply wrapping 10 inches around the shaft right above the hosel.  Don't know if it will change any dynamics of the club, but it's simpler than putting it on the head itself.  I may put the lead tape low on the heads of the "long" irons to lower the CG and maybe increase the height a little.

My bad shots happen when I get too quick at the top.  Maybe this is a simple solution for that.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Man was I killing it at the range today.  There were people waiting for a spot to open.  I over heard one of the guys say about me, "that guy's played before".

18 minutes ago, vangator said:

Man was I killing it at the range today.  There were people waiting for a spot to open.  I over heard one of the guys say about me, "that guy's played before".

Definitely a good feeling when people take a minute to watch you stripe 'em!

Lead tape is fantastic. I have an XR driver, cut down an inch. It was playing at like C6. I recently put enough lead tape on the sole to bring it back to D2. It feels 100 times better. Eventually I'd like to experiment with a heavier shaft as well.

I put 6 grams of lead on the irons.  I liked the tempo better, but I had a tendency to leave the face open a few times.  I'm playing tomorrow.  I think I will cut he lead down to 3 grams per iron and see what happens.

My range beater had a 60 g R-flex with a high kick point on it, and was a D6. I put a 75 g A-flex low kick and cut an inch off it and dropped the SW to D3. It feels so much better now, and I can get so much more out of the driver.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

4 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

My range beater had a 60 g R-flex with a high kick point on it, and was a D6. I put a 75 g A-flex low kick and cut an inch off it and dropped the SW to D3. It feels so much better now, and I can get so much more out of the driver.

I think I may try to find a cheap heavy graphite shaft for my driver to further experiment.  It may cut down SS but my biggest problem is losing tempo.

What's a "range beater"?  Is that a club you only use at the range?  Or some guy that beats on people a the range?

On 2/12/2016 at 8:56 PM, vangator said:

I got a Titleist 910D2 from a friend of mine for $50.  It's a great driver, but I would hit some big hooks every now and then.  The shaft was a Diamana 62 S flex (the blue one).  He had pulled a Diamana 72 S flex (the black one) from another club he has and sold that and an extra adapter to me for $30.  Another great deal.  I epoxied the adapter on and took it to the range today.  I tried a few different settings but the D4 setting (STD lie 0.5* closed) turned out to be a winner.  I was hitting beautiful high draws time after time.  I've never hit a driver so well.  This shaft is slightly heavier and my transition was infinitely better.

I can't wait till this weekend to take it to the course!  I know the golf gods will probably skewer me now.

Right now I'm thinking that the extra weight really helped my swing.  So, I just put some new irons in play that have some lighter shafts than my previous set.  I hit my previous set a little better.  The new set is pretty consistent, but every now and then I hit a bigger draw than what I like and normally hit.  So, I think I may get the old lead tape out and crank up the weight of the irons.  I know the swing speed will go down a little but I'm not worried about distance.  Just accuracy.

Anybody else have a similar experience with heavier shafts?

@vangator,

I actually played True Temper DG S300 shafts in my Driver, and 3-wood when I was in high school and a little out of high school, I went to Graphite in 2006.

That being said, I got Matrix Black Tie 75g X-Flex coming in my Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tomorrow (well later today its almost 4 am) I went with Stiff in everything else I picked up, but in my experience heavier shafts/clubs tend to make the transition better and the take away not so rushed. I personally have better tempo with heavier clubs/shafts.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I just remembered I have an X Flex graphite shaft in a 7 wood.  I may pull that baby and find out what it weighs.  If it's good, I can put an adapter on that and put an extension on it.  Could be fun.

I went to the range tonight to work on my driving.  Concentrated on a slower takeaway with a pause at the top and a slower start of the downswing.  Hit every driver great.  Can't wait for this weekend to see how bad I screw it up.

Note: This thread is 2991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!