IGNORED

Driver's loft

Note: This thread is 5683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's the loft of your driver?

• < 8.5°
    • 8.5°
    • 9.5°
    • 10°
    • 10.5°
    • 11°
    • 11.5°
    • 12°
    • 13°
    • other

I'm curious, what's the loft of your driver?
If you were going to buy a new one, would you change to another loft? If so, why?

Thanks,

KN
Gear
Driver: G10 10,5° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20°/3, 23°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9.5 now, but I am thinking of going back to a 10.5.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

loft on the driverhead is only half he battle - you really should be looking at launch angle (the shaft will be a determining factor here too)

i have 10.5* in a R7 425 - less dispersion though I hit the ball (too) high. Looking at changing the shaft this year (have changed weights - has effect, but not enough). My club pro wants me to buy his 9.5 TP model (with stiffer shaft) but I hit it too low.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Interesting... just today I was hitting some new drivers. My swing speed is around 105mph with the big stick, so I look for 12-13* launch angle. My current driver, a 10.5, gives me about 13-14 average, not too bad. Depending on the drivers (i hit about 7-8 models), I needed between a 10.5 and an 8.5 loft. Obviously the shaft makes a huge difference here as well. Funny thing was, I was getting the best carry distance with my current driver, and I would say only one of the in store drivers truly out performed mine, and it was a Maltby component driver Funny how the least expensive equipment seems to be the best fit sometimes. Anyway, my conclusion was that I don't need a new driver this year.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Swingspeed (107mph) + Aldila NV65 Stiff shaft + Ping G5 10.5* head = launch angle of 12.5* which gives me my maximum carry distance.

Driver loft is only part of the equation.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

i have a 9.5 stiff superquad. pretty happy with the club and its ball flight. not to high not to low. i recently switched from the titleist 905R which had a low ball flight, might have been because of the shaft. but i think its the best switch ive made. right now im not really looking to change driver or loft. i feel if i did switch to a 10.5 i might lose a little distance because it would go alot higher.

In my Ogio bag I have:
Ball: Prov1 or Prov1x One Platinum
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54 58
Irons: 690CB 2-PW
Putter: Newport 1.5Woods: R7 (15deg) launcher comp (19deg)Driver: R7 SuperquadShoes: Sp8 TW Tour"Out here on tour its not how you mark your golf ball, its how you mark your...

10.5 is mine. I used to have a 9.5, but when I switched to the 10.5, I found more fairways and found the ball farther from the tees. I would entertain moving up more loft if I could make the same "tradeoff" but I don't view that as happening. it's worth a shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a 9.5 but if anything I would move up to 10 degrees just to get a higher launch angle.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I have a 983 K 9.5°, I think I would stick with the same loft if I got a knew one.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Yes, I recently switched drivers in the quest for lowering my launch angle and thus more yardage off the tee. I did that going from a 10.5 degree head (TM r580XD) to another 10.5 degree head (Mizuno MX-500). There are some technology differences between the heads with TM being only 440cc vs 460cc and some weight distributing graphite inserts in the Mizuno but I don't think that was the main difference as to why I have gained the yardage. The shaft differences are what I think made the increased distance possible.

Former shaft in the TM was the stock TM stiff compared to an Aldila NV65 stiff in my current driver. Much stiffer and lower launching due to higher kickpoint.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

IMHO, 80% of golfers use a loft that is too low.

Go outside with a garden hose, turn it on full blast, and try to make it shoot water as far as it can (no holding your finger over the end!) You'll find that a lower angle does not make the water go farther (and neither will aiming it too high). There is a correct angle somewhere in between that will make it go the farthest. Lowering the loft on your driver does not gurantee the ball will go farther, in fact it may do the opposite (just like lowering the hose angle below optimum will make the water go a shorter distance.)

Lowering the loft also reduces backspin, which is just as important to ball distance as how hard you swing.

I know long drivers champions use low lofted clubs, but look at how and where they tee up the ball. Way forward in their stance, and extremely high. Why?

1. It allows them to lengthen their swing arc just a little, which allows them time to generate a little more swing speed.

2. It allows them to catch the ball ON THE UPSWING.

Think about what that means as far as the clubface angle at the time of impact. If the club has started its upward arc, then that 7.5 degree clubface angle is probably closer to 10 degrees at the time of impact.

Why do you think so many people recommend you tee the ball high, and strike the ball slightly above center on your driver's clubface? Because the front of a driver is curved, so the loft on a driver is HIGHER above the center of the face. Unfortunatly, the sweet-spot on a driver is usually around the center of the clubface. Hitting the ball above center on your driver means you have a smaller sweet spot (and less room for error) to work with.

I beleive Wishon said in his book that the typical male golfer should be using at least a 13-14 degree driver, and said it was ironic that most major golf manufacturers don't even make men's drivers that high.

There's an easy way to determine if your loft is too low. Put some impact tape on your driver. If your best drives come from balls that strike above the center line, then your loft is too low. Increase the loft until your best drives come from balls struck dead center on your driver. That way you will have the largest sweet spot (and most room for error) to work with.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

i have a borrowed cleveland launcher ti460 10.5
my ball flight seems low.
when i have a more consistant driver swing, i'll go get fitted
they will tell me what loft and shaft i need

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I use 10. I like the launch angle.
In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

Im currently on an 8.5 degree.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I use a 9.5 degree driver. For me, the shaft is more important. Having made the change in late 2007, I immediately noticed the difference. I switched from an Aldila NV-65 to an Accra SC 75. My launch angle is between 11-12. Being fitted for a ball that spun less, helped, too. When I'm on, I'm usually between 250-265.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I've had a 9.5 forever, but plan on getting fitted for the first time in a couple of weeks. Will change in a heartbeat if need be.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I like my 9.5, but if I wanted the ball to go higher or lower I would just change the shaft because of course the loft has a little to do with the ball height, but the lower the loft the more sidespin you are going to have and the higher the loft the less sidespin.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Note: This thread is 5683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!