or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What to wear as a spectator?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What to wear as a spectator?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm heading to the AT&T National, and it will be my first tournament to watch. I just want to get an idea on what to wear as a spectator. I don't want to be that Deuch bag that is dressed like tiger woods, following tiger woods. Or like a guy at a capitals vs flyers hockey game wearing a rangers jersey.

Do country club rules apply, collared shirt, bermuda shorts, etc. Or can you rock t-shirts? just wanted to get an idea.
post #2 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

I went to the '03 US Open at Oak Hill in Rochester, NY. You can wear pretty much anything. I wore what I usually wear when I go do stuff which is a Polo and cargo shorts, you know, generally presentable.

They did have a rule of no Golf Shoes. I wondered who the hell would wear golf shoes as a spectator. I thought it would be like wearing a helmet to watch a race. Evidently people do it though.

I wouldn't mind seeing more girls wearing an outfit like your avatar.
post #3 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

I always just wear what I would wear to the course. Dri-fit shirt, shorts and comfortable sneakers. Not because I want to look like the players, just because I know that stuff is comfortable if it gets hot. If you want to wear a tee shirt there is no problem with that either. Two things to keep in mind: it will probably be hot, and you will be walking...a lot.
post #4 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Lets see....I wore shorts and a polo to the 06 pga championship and wore sport shorts and a sleeveless shirt to the 07 when it was 100 degrees!!
post #5 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Originally Posted by goblue107501 View Post

I always just wear what I would wear to the course. Dri-fit shirt, shorts and comfortable sneakers. Not because I want to look like the players, just because I know that stuff is comfortable if it gets hot.
Perfect, me too.

Don't forget the hat and sunscreen either!
post #6 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Originally Posted by n8ron View Post
They did have a rule of no Golf Shoes. I wondered who the hell would wear golf shoes as a spectator. I thought it would be like wearing a helmet to watch a race. Evidently people do it though.
You'd be surprised... seriously. Some people dress like they think they're playing in the tournament.

Here are my tips.

Bring removable sunglasses. Bring some binoculars (or your range finder, since it magnifies). It helps for identifying players.

Sunscreen. Always.

Comfortable shorts. Polo shirt is fine, perhaps with a windbreaker over top for the mornings...

WATERPROOF SHOES. The rough in the shade around the golf course - where you walk (shade is beneath trees) is surprisingly wet, usually. Last thing you want is wet feet/socks.

The windbreaker can serve double duty as a place to sit. That wet grass I was talking about? Perhaps the only thing worse than wet feet/socks is a wet butt. If you don't want to take a windbreaker, take a small garbage bag or something to put on the ground so you don't absorb a bunch of water and prune up your cheeks.

Wear a hat.

And again, sunscreen. Worth saying twice.
post #7 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Anything but this:

post #8 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Id say a polo and some shorts.But it will get hot out so maybe a tshirt and shorts. Dont forget your suncreen.
post #9 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

I think I've seen it all, but iacas hit it on the head. Just don't bring the hat with the can holder / straws built in. And for the love of Pete, DO NOT scream, "Get in the HOLE!". Bring plenty of cash too if you don't have access to a corporate villa. The concessions can be pretty pricey.
post #10 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

There's no dress code. Wear whatever you want.
post #11 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Originally Posted by brotekind269 View Post
... Or can you rock t-shirts?
Rock t-shirts are better than country&western t-shirts (IMHO).
post #12 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Bring rain gear, it's gonna be a wet open.

Sorry, in my post-hockey game delirium, I assumed you meant what to wear at the US Open this year.

-catfell
post #13 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Originally Posted by catfell View Post
Bring rain gear, it's gonna be a wet open.

Sorry, in my post-hockey game delirium, I assumed you meant what to wear at the US Open this year.

-catfell
The fifth and sixth words of his post are "AT&T" and "National."
post #14 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

This reminds of the time that I went to the old Kemper Open at Avenel back in '90. I went with a high school buddy and when I showed up at his house to pick him up, he was dressed in dark blue jeans and a dark shirt (this was early June in DC so it was going to be at least 85 deg. that day IIRC). I laughed and said he should put a pair of shorts on; he said he thought it was more formal than that. I guess if it's your first time going, you don't know, although the web site might give some info about dress code for spectators.

Speaking of dress code for spectators, you can catch some pretty good scenery of the female kind if you follow the groups of some of the younger players (Adam Scott, Aaron Baddeley, etc.). While not scantily-clad, their clothes will fit well in the right places.
post #15 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Originally Posted by EngineerGolfer View Post
Speaking of dress code for spectators, you can catch some pretty good scenery of the female kind if you follow the groups of some of the younger players (Adam Scott, Aaron Baddeley, etc.). While not scantily-clad, their clothes will fit well in the right places.
That's what I do.
post #16 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

Originally Posted by EngineerGolfer View Post
he was dressed in dark blue jeans and a dark shirt (this was early June in DC so it was going to be at least 85 deg. that day IIRC). I laughed and said he should put a pair of shorts on; he said he thought it was more formal than that.
He thought it was more formal so he wore jeans?
post #17 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

How about a pair of John Daley's pants, a "JOHN 3:16" t-shirt, and a rainbow colored afro wig,,,lol


Just kidding, I would just wear what ever you would normally wear to the golf course, can't ever go wrong with khaki's and a polo!

Have fun and like other have said, better take your rain gear!
post #18 of 18

Re: What to wear as a spectator?

A rain coat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What to wear as a spectator?