or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NIKE VR_S

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

So I had some time to kill today and what better way than to troll at the local golf superstore. Plus Im kinda looking for a new 3 wood. Anyways, I hit just about everything new that I thought was worth hitting. One of which was the new Nike VRS line. I loved the fairway woods! It just felt powerful, and hot off the face. Just for kicks I pulled a a few drivers. A 9* stiff Fubuki shaft Nike VRS driver, an R11S with an RIP, and the new Callaway Razer Hawk fit with the NV_S shaft. Ive never been a fan of the Callaway drivers, and the Razer Hawk fit was no different for me, ill pass on it. The R11S was very nice. Had a nice crack to it and felt solid. Then I tried the new Nike VR_S, and I gotta be honest... That thing felt wicked good! I mean solid, forgiving, and whatever they claim to have done to the face of the driver, I could definitely feel it! I was quite impressed. IF I were going to buy a new driver, which Im really not, I would 100% honest put this in my top 3 choices. And ive never been a fan of Nike drivers before. I would also definitely have to put it on a launch monitor and see how Im hitting it. I wasn't paying attention to any of that today. Just strictly based on feel. 

 

Anyone else tried it? 

post #2 of 11

Earlier this month I was in the market for a new 3W. Walked into my local Pro Shop / Range convinced I was going to buy a R11 3W (I have two TM Burner Superfast 2.0 hybrids I love). They gave me the R11 3W, a bucket and off I went to hit balls. The R11 felt really nice but before I was going to pull the trigger I decided to hit other manufacturers. I also hit the Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15*, Titleist 910F, Ping G20 & TM RBZ.

 

For me, it came down to the R11 & Nike as the contenders. After a few dozen more shots I decided on the Nike. I was surprised since I never considered owning a Nike club. The weight of the club, ball trajectory & ball striking all narrowly favored the Nike. Also, the Nike's face is slightly deeper than the R11 (the R11 is shallower but wider)...I only intend to use this 3W off the tee...my hybrids have plenty of distance off the deck.

 

The Taylormade Rocket Ballz was my least liked club out of the group.

 

 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar76 View Post

Earlier this month I was in the market for a new 3W. Walked into my local Pro Shop / Range convinced I was going to buy a R11 3W (I have two TM Burner Superfast 2.0 hybrids I love). They gave me the R11 3W, a bucket and off I went to hit balls. The R11 felt really nice but before I was going to pull the trigger I decided to hit other manufacturers. I also hit the Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15*, Titleist 910F, Ping G20 & TM RBZ.

 

For me, it came down to the R11 & Nike as the contenders. After a few dozen more shots I decided on the Nike. I was surprised since I never considered owning a Nike club. The weight of the club, ball trajectory & ball striking all narrowly favored the Nike. Also, the Nike's face is slightly deeper than the R11 (the R11 is shallower but wider)...I only intend to use this 3W off the tee...my hybrids have plenty of distance off the deck.

 

The Taylormade Rocket Ballz was my least liked club out of the group.

 

 



Its funny you mentioned all that, becasue I thought the same things! That RBZ 3 wood is all hype! It feels terrible to me. Plus I still hate the white head design. 

 

Like I said ive never really been a fan of Nike products. I mean when I first started playing golf a few years ago I had a few Nike clubs, but I quickly switched them out for much better products. IMO the Nike Sasquatch2 line was the last good product they produced… UNTIL NOW! I was really impressed with both last years VR line of woods and this years new VR_S line of woods. Ive been thinking about it for the last couple of days and I really think I might be trading in my PING i15 woods for the new Nike VR_S stuff… 

People need to rethink Nike products these days. I think its gotten extremely better. 

post #4 of 11

I demo'd the Nike 3W this weekend and I agree. It felt so hot and pure when hit solid. It was confidence inspiring.

post #5 of 11

Are you guys finding that the stock made for Fubuki shaft plays a little weak?

 

In my driver, fairway woods and hybrids I always play Senior flex as my swing speed with driver is about 84mph.  I hit all the 2012 hybrids and the VR_S 4 hybrid won out on the monitor.

However when I got to the course I do nothing but spray this thing all over the place.  I make solid contact but one hit will be a major push, next ball a major hook, next a major slice.   I'm not the best ball striker in the world but my other 2 longer clubs in the bag (Giga Golf Reva 21* hybrid and TM 2.0 7w) I do not have as much problem getting consistent shots.

I shortened the nike an inch without adding any lead which normally firms up the shaft a bit it still feels ultra whippy like a ladies flex.

So bummed that a $169 club is not even in the bag any more after buying it last month.

Before I ditch it for good I will probably re shaft it and hope that helps me out.  

otherwise its off to the used bin 

 

 

 

 

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock9174 View Post

Are you guys finding that the stock made for Fubuki shaft plays a little weak?

 

In my driver, fairway woods and hybrids I always play Senior flex as my swing speed with driver is about 84mph.  I hit all the 2012 hybrids and the VR_S 4 hybrid won out on the monitor.

However when I got to the course I do nothing but spray this thing all over the place.  I make solid contact but one hit will be a major push, next ball a major hook, next a major slice.   I'm not the best ball striker in the world but my other 2 longer clubs in the bag (Giga Golf Reva 21* hybrid and TM 2.0 7w) I do not have as much problem getting consistent shots.

I shortened the nike an inch without adding any lead which normally firms up the shaft a bit it still feels ultra whippy like a ladies flex.

So bummed that a $169 club is not even in the bag any more after buying it last month.

Before I ditch it for good I will probably re shaft it and hope that helps me out.  

otherwise its off to the used bin 

 

 

 

 


There is absolutely nothing different between the "stock" Fubuki and the off the rack Fubuki. Well except for the Nike logo on it.
If you ask me, I think you're playing the wrong shaft. You should get fitted first. The shaft can make or break the club. Especially if you are making solid contact on the face, like you say.
I had a similar problem with my old PING G15. The stock Aldila Serrano worked fine when I first purchased it, but then as I started to get lessons and improve I guess I outgrew it. It had the wrong kick point for my swing & I had to change the shaft.
post #7 of 11

question: how is the sound at impact with the VRS woods ?

 

I heard Nike woods were loud and high pitched which I hate

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-league View Post

question: how is the sound at impact with the VRS woods ?

 

I heard Nike woods were loud and high pitched which I hate


The new face technology that they have been pushing right now is in fact, just a thinner face. Which in turn makes it a little louder and more specifically higher pitched. Personally, I like the way they sound. The driver has an awesome powerful sound to it. Reminds me a lot of the Taylormade R9 TP I had a while back. The Nike fairway woods were not as loud I thought. The driver is loud, but the fairway woods sound like any other fairway metal does.
post #9 of 11

i got the vrs driver 10.5 regular its awesome

post #10 of 11

I also have demoed the VR s and was very impressed with driver as well as the fairway woods and hybrids.  Although I definitley agree with shaft playing a bit weak.  I swing around 110 on a the launch monitor and the stiff feels pretty whippy.   I will definitley get fit for a custom shaft when I buy.    I also disagree about the stock shaft being the same as the off the rack shaft.  Some times its the same like the project x in titleists, but when it says on the shaft *exclusivley for nike  or *exclusivley for taylormade....it aint the same thing

post #11 of 11

As for me i didn't like the Nike, the loud sound it makes is just not it for me. 

It's scares the crap out of me!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting