or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › $30 for brand new tour balls.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$30 for brand new tour balls.

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I'm in Myrtle Beach on vacation this week, and yesterday I was playing at the Wicked Stick golf club in Surfside.  At the Pro shop, I bought a brand new box of 20xi's for only $30.  Pro V1's were $58 a box. Penta's and Hex's were at $35 a box.  I have no clue why anyone would pay almost double for the same ball, but that's name recognition for you.  Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone had any idea why this was?

post #2 of 16

Not sure about the Penta but the 20xi and Hex both have different versions, like the prov1 and v1x, could be disparity in those prices? Also, prov1 is just about a household name for balls now, they're way marketed and can charge whatever they want it seems. The others (not penta, dont know anything about them) are newer more gimmick balls imo. 20xi with new rubber core and Hex pattern dimples... reaching for their own market with "newest great technology".

post #3 of 16

Even at 58 bucks, I find lost ProV1s and ProV1x's more often than I find any other ball on the course. I've never found a Bridgestone B330 or B330s, or even a Penta.

post #4 of 16
I think the 20xi usually goes for about $26-30. It's Nike's upper-level ball, but it doesn't have the same brand recognition that the Taylormade's and Titleist's do.

Never played it, so no idea how it performs or compares to other top-level balls.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Con View Post

I think the 20xi usually goes for about $26-30. It's Nike's upper-level ball, but it doesn't have the same brand recognition that the Taylormade's and Titleist's do.
Never played it, so no idea how it performs or compares to other top-level balls.

 

They are usually listed around the same price as the other tour balls ( ~$45), but I've seen them on sale a lot. They must not be selling well.

post #6 of 16

The 20xi is a terrible ball IMHO. There are less then a handful of Nike Staffers even using them.

post #7 of 16

Golf Digest stated that ALL of Nike's staffers are using them.  I didnt think they had a choice if they are contracted to play a certain brand.

 

Here in FL, United States, they are $45-$48 a dozen, the same as Pro V1's and Penta's, however the Nike's and Penta's are constantly having buy 2 get 1 free sales, essesntially knocking the price down to $30 or so per dozen.

 

So for close to half the price, as a 7 handicapper, I have been and will continue to play Nike's.

 

I'm kind of a power player so I usually lose at least one ball per round, maybe 2 or 3, and fortunatly my lost ball count is not definitve on how I score so I dont care, it would just get expensive playing $4 Pro V1's.

 

Also, the Pro V1's dont seem to last for me, after 9 holes they look like they've been sitting at the bottom of a lake for 2 years.

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72ss View Post

 

 

Also, the Pro V1's dont seem to last for me, after 9 holes they look like they've been sitting at the bottom of a lake for 2 years.

 

 

or been ran through a meat grinder in my case. pro v  balls just wear down soooo fast, heaven forbid you catch a cart path, that's another $4....

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shades View Post

The 20xi is a terrible ball IMHO. There are less then a handful of Nike Staffers even using them.

 

I currently play the Nike Tour D ball that 1/2 the Nike players play.  I have a stock pile at home so I can play them for another year for sure.

 

I decided to play 9 holes with the new 20XI-X ball that the other 1/2 of the Nike players play.  The knock on the ball is a clicky feel on some shots.  I did experience it to a certain degree.  My distances were essential unchanged on wedge, iron, and driver.  However, I noticed a significant decrease in spin with my driver.  I'll probably stock up on the 20XI-X's without reservation.

 

I'll play my Tour D balls until they run out, but the new ball will come out early on windy days especially.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shades View Post

The 20xi is a terrible ball IMHO. There are less then a handful of Nike Staffers even using them.

 

The 20XI-X was not a good ball for me, not even close to the Tour/Tour D and no where near the Pro V1 X. I was given 4 dozen from a Nike Staffer and can see why they were given to me (I gave 2 dozen away). They are definitely a hard ball that I had a hard time compressing them with my 105 mph swing speed (driver). They were fine off the driver, hard from the irons, spun fine from the wedges, but just lacked feel. They were clicky and hard off the putter but rolled true. There are a lot of Nike staffers that are not playing this ball and really playing the previous generation. I don't know how hard you have to swing to really feel like you are compressing it, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone that is under 115 mph (driver). 

post #11 of 16

I hated both of the 20XI's. They felt like top flites with weird covers on them. If I'm paying good cash for a tour ball, I'm buying some Callaway tour i(s) or Srixon Z-Stars.

post #12 of 16

Just found a Penta last week up at Crystal Mountain, apparently a sponsor ball as it had a logo on it.  Tried it for a couple of holes but preferred my Z-Star for which I paid $24 bucks this spring. (I think they were the 2010 or 2011 ball) I think the new Zstar came out this year.

post #13 of 16

I refuse to play nike balls and refuse to purchase anything Nike makes.  Just a fetish I have.

post #14 of 16

Hmmm... I got a pretty good deal on some 20XI's a few weeks ago and bought 3 dozen for $75. So far, I actually like them quite a bit, but not enough to justify the extra cash compared to my normal Gamer V2. Golfsmith had the MacGregor premium ball (the VIP, 3 piece urethane cover) on sale for $12/dz so I'm gonna check those out next.

post #15 of 16

I hit the Titleist nxt most of the time.I tried the prov1x but found I lost 5 to10 yds. on shots. I have hit the Penta and liked them too. Hit a few Srixon, but they were to hard to find .......

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post

 

The 20XI-X was not a good ball for me, not even close to the Tour/Tour D and no where near the Pro V1 X. I was given 4 dozen from a Nike Staffer and can see why they were given to me (I gave 2 dozen away). They are definitely a hard ball that I had a hard time compressing them with my 105 mph swing speed (driver). They were fine off the driver, hard from the irons, spun fine from the wedges, but just lacked feel. They were clicky and hard off the putter but rolled true. There are a lot of Nike staffers that are not playing this ball and really playing the previous generation. I don't know how hard you have to swing to really feel like you are compressing it, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone that is under 115 mph (driver). 

 

I guess 9 holes of golf is not sufficient enough to determine if you like a ball or not.  I tried playing with the 20XI-X ball again and I was not impressed.  I was really really disappointed.  I've been playing the Nike One Black and Tour D ball since they came out close to a decade ago.  I don't know why Nike wanted to ruin a good thing by changing their ball so drastically.

 

I have a stock pile of Tour D's at the house (around 12 boxes), but I'll have to search for another ball I can stick with the long haul.  I had already accumulated 9 boxes of the 20XI-X ball, and luckily the local golf shop let me swap them out for 9 boxes of the Bridgestone B330 ball.  I heard they were the ones that actually made the Tour D ball I'm using now anyways.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › $30 for brand new tour balls.