Thought since the new year is just days away, and we all know the new years revolution will probably be loosing weight for many people, i thought i throw out some information i learned.
Weight loss is complicated. I know many will say that its calorie surplus or calorie deficit, that is true, but calculating this is insanity.
I found a website that had a simple method,
Weight gain: 18-20 cal/lb of body weight
maintenance: 14-16 cal/lb of body weight
Weight loss: 10-12 cal/lb of body weight
Now, these are not exact, going to gaurantee you weight loss equations here. These are starting points. So many times people get way to specific and give up on it all. If after a month you are not loosing weight, then drop down 2 cal/lb and see what the next month gives you. But be warned, the equation changes drastically. You start working out more for example, or you suddenly get injured and can't work out at all for a month. The equations do change.
But to truly loose weight, you need to really keep track of what your eating. In a world full of convenience, attention to detail is key. You don't need to go all crazy, but some great resources are available, like, Myfitnesspal.com for those with smart phones, or Calorieking.com
Key's to weight loss
1) keep track of what you eat, don't be so precise that you feel like your punishing yourself. Its alright to let up once in a while, indulge a bit
2) Be more active
3) If your not loosing weight then cut back on what you eat. If your sure your keeping track of everything, your more active and your not getting leaner, go see a doctor. Hormone inbalance can kill weight loss
5) eat a slight surplus for the week, just to reset the body's metabolism
4) get your whole family to join in on changing the lifestyle, support groups are great
5) make it fun, not all exercise has to be hours on a tredmill.
7) SLEEP, get rid of the TV in the bedroom. Get really good drapes or blinds. Don't interact with the TV or computer before bed. Dedicate some down time right before bed. I set my TV for a 40 minute sleep, to shut off. I cover up my alarm clock, and i don't use the computer before bed. I sleep so much better now. Artificial light will kill your sleep. Inadequate sleep will kill weight loss
8) don't be obsessed with the scale. Your body weight can shift depending on your carb loading and how much water you drink, and other factors
9) The best way to see your loosing weight, use a multitude of methods. Take a picture from the same spot. Measure the cirumferance of the waist, arms, thighs, chest, neck. Typically people loose body fat form outward in. Meaning from the hands, arms, feat, legs, neck. Last to go is the abdominal region. So start by measuring the wrist, neck, calves, thighs, ect.. When those become stable, work on the waist. That's not saying the waist will shrink as well, its just last to go.
10) When you make a change, stick to it for at least 1-2 months. Habits form after 27 days.
11) In the words of nike, "JUST DO IT", take an action, stop thinking, stop saying, "I'll make this grand plan, study all this stuff, get ready to make this change". MAKE THE CHANGE!!!