(apologies if this is in the wrong forum, mods please move as necessary)
a buddy and i just registered for an NCGA event in a couple of weeks in NorCal. we both have established indexes, and neither of us has played in a "real" tournament before. our combined experiences have been in scramble/shamble formats, with pre-paid mulligans, no accounting for handicaps, and general drunken buffonery taking a higher priority than the actual competition.
the format for our event is FourBall, and i've got a couple of questions regarding etiquette and procedure, specifically:
- is "ready golf" acceptable, or should we be following tradition and have the person "away" play first?
- regarding "honors" on the tee: is it the person with the lowest score and ascending, or the team with the lowest score on the hole?
- is it permissible to change the "batting order" between me and my partner on each hole?
- since i've got a partner in this format, am i allowed to solicit/offer advice regarding club selection, wind direction, putting line, etc.?
- when recording scores, do we apply ECS or raw score for the hole for tournament purposes (e.g. if i put up an 8 on a par 3, do i record the 8 on the card or the max 6 i can take with ECS in place?)
- am i required to play the same brand of ball for the entire round?
finally, if anyone has any general advice, or can highlight common pitfalls in this type of format, i'd appreciate it.
thanks in advance -