or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What are your loft degrees in the wedges you carry?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your loft degrees in the wedges you carry?

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 

Currently, I have a 60* lob, 56* sand wedge, and standard 46* pitching wedge.  Just curious as to what others are carrying and why they carry the wedges they do.

 

Also, I feel I need a gap wedge to get to yardages in between my pitching and sand wedges.  Any advice on what to get?  Currently, I have Titleist AP1 712 irons and Cleveland wedges.  Would you recommend going with a gap wedge that matches my iron set, or one that matches my wedges?


Thanks

post #2 of 68

That's a pretty big gap between your 46* and 56*. I'd say split the middle and get 51* or bend a 52* to 51*. I like my wedges to all be more or less matched. I currently have a Mizuno MP-T11 60/08, a Nike SV Tour 56/12 and a TNT 52* (no idea what the bounce is, I bought it at a flea market for $8). There all different makes and models but very similar in appearance and feel. Can't stand CBs on a wedgez7_no.gif

post #3 of 68

I have 46* and 50* Cleveland CG14 wedges plus Cally X Forged 56* and 62*.  I really like the setup and it gives me plenty of versatility.

post #4 of 68
Thread Starter 

Is your preference for a wedge without a CB mainly for feel?  I've been playing for around 2 years now and just now getting into different types of equipment.  

post #5 of 68
Thread Starter 

I was looking at the CG14 wedge for my gap choice.  Thanks for the input!

post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith0454 View Post

Is your preference for a wedge without a CB mainly for feel?  I've been playing for around 2 years now and just now getting into different types of equipment.  

Mental.

 

feel like I can be more precise with a muscle back wedge therefor I am.

post #7 of 68
Thread Starter 

I understand that completely.  Lately, I have been dead on with a full swing wedge shot with my 60* and 56* (Generally 75 yards for the lob and ~100 with the sand).  On the other hand, I love the feel of my Titleist PW, which is CB.  Just debating on what I should get that will be best for me if/when I improve.

post #8 of 68

48-52-56-62 in my bag.

post #9 of 68
Thread Starter 

Sounds fairly similar to what's in my bag.  Is your gap wedge matched to your PW or to your other wedges?

post #10 of 68

I have a 45.5 PW, 50 UW, 54.5 SW and 59 LW.  The P and U are part of the iron set and the P came stock at 46.  The S and L are not part of the set (but are also Ping so not drastically different) and were stock at 54 and 58.  My fitter thought I should have even gaps so he bent the P, S and L.  (my 9 iron is 41, so all gaps from there down are 4.5 degrees)

 

Keep in mind though, that doesn't necessarily equate to even yardage gaps.  There is definitely a bigger gap between the U and the S for me.  Possibly attributable to not usually taking hard swings with the S, but regardless I have been considering making the S stronger or the U weaker ... maybe 51.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

That's a pretty big gap between your 46* and 56*. I'd say split the middle and get 51* or bend a 52* to 51*.

I agree with Ernest that you might want to consider something in between those 2.  Until I got my new clubs in August, I had almost the exact same gap (47-56 actually).  It's nice to not have to stress over a 30 yard hole at the bottom of my set anymore.  Now I get to stress over not being able to hit them correctly. :)

 

However, if you get something and know you're going to bend it, I'd go the other way.  If you need 51, then bend a 50, because bounce is your friend and you want more of it, not less. :)

post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith0454 View Post

Sounds fairly similar to what's in my bag.  Is your gap wedge matched to your PW or to your other wedges?

Assuming you are talking to me since it was the post directly below mine, all the wedges are Cleveland CG15. My irons are matched 6-9i, recently ditched my 5i for a 5 hybrid.

post #12 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

I agree with Ernest that you might want to consider something in between those 2.  Until I got my new clubs in August, I had almost the exact same gap (47-56 actually).  It's nice to not have to stress over a 30 yard hole at the bottom of my set anymore.  Now I get to stress over not being able to hit them correctly. :)

 

That's exactly what I'm dealing with now.  Choking down on my PW or trying to blast my 56* normally results in a less than stellar shot.  I believe I've settled on the degree (around 52*), but am now just deciding whether to go with a Titleist AP1 712 gap, or go with a newer Cleveland with zip grooves.  Any input?  And thanks for the reply.

post #13 of 68

52* 56* 60* callaway jaws cc wedges and a standard pitching wedge

post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I have a 45.5 PW, 50 UW, 54.5 SW and 59 LW.  The P and U are part of the iron set and the P came stock at 46.  The S and L are not part of the set (but are also Ping so not drastically different) and were stock at 54 and 58.  My fitter thought I should have even gaps so he bent the P, S and L.  (my 9 iron is 41, so all gaps from there down are 4.5 degrees)

 

Keep in mind though, that doesn't necessarily equate to even yardage gaps.  There is definitely a bigger gap between the U and the S for me.  Possibly attributable to not usually taking hard swings with the S, but regardless I have been considering making the S stronger or the U weaker ... maybe 51.

 

I agree with Ernest that you might want to consider something in between those 2.  Until I got my new clubs in August, I had almost the exact same gap (47-56 actually).  It's nice to not have to stress over a 30 yard hole at the bottom of my set anymore.  Now I get to stress over not being able to hit them correctly. :)

 

However, if you get something and know you're going to bend it, I'd go the other way.  If you need 51, then bend a 50, because bounce is your friend and you want more of it, not less. :)

Excellent point, amazing how much I learn on here!

post #15 of 68

PW from both of the sets I carry is 46°. Then I use a 50°, 54°, and 58°.

post #16 of 68

44* PW, 49* GW, 54* SW and 58* LW.  As far as matching vs blade, I think its more a matter of personal preference.  Some people like the forgiveness of a CB wedge, others prefer the feel of a blade wedge.  Personally, I prefer a CB wedge because I feel its more forgiving of mishits and gives me more of a margin of error.

post #17 of 68

900x900px-LL-3ca2e364_IMG02.jpeg

48 - 125 yds

54 - 105 yds

60 - 85 yds

 

I have blades for wedges because I have blades for 8-pw. There is nothing wrong with cavity back but once I got to a certain skill level, I could appreciate the muscle backs more. In my case there is about a 20 yard distance between PW, SW, and LW. In my regular clubs I have about 12-13 yard spacing. If I grip down on the PW it goes 120, shorten the backswing and I get 115. A firmer swing with the SW can get 110 and 115 if I stand on it, but I don't do that too often because it will spin like crazy. Same with the 54 and 60.  My irons are Titleist 735 cms with the S300 and my wedges are Titleist Vokey TVDs with S200. 

post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post

900x900px-LL-3ca2e364_IMG02.jpeg

48 - 125 yds

54 - 105 yds

60 - 85 yds

 

I have blades for wedges because I have blades for 8-pw. There is nothing wrong with cavity back but once I got to a certain skill level, I could appreciate the muscle backs more. In my case there is about a 20 yard distance between PW, SW, and LW. In my regular clubs I have about 12-13 yard spacing. If I grip down on the PW it goes 120, shorten the backswing and I get 115. A firmer swing with the SW can get 110 and 115 if I stand on it, but I don't do that too often because it will spin like crazy. Same with the 54 and 60.  My irons are Titleist 735 cms with the S300 and my wedges are Titleist Vokey TVDs with S200. 

z8_offtopic.gif but I want those irons badly! Carry on...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What are your loft degrees in the wedges you carry?