or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My Secret to pace of play!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Secret to pace of play!

post #1 of 89
Thread Starter 
Like it's really a secret!
Be ready to tee off when approaching tee box!
Keep practise swings to a minimum! Not 5!
On the tee box, DONT TALK!....DRIVE!
If you must talk on the phone, do this while walking to the ball, not stood over it!
Leave the green immediately after putting!
IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
Do scoring on the next tee box!
For walkers! (Like me)
When approaching ball on fairway, walk to ball and leave cart on right hand side of ball,
NEXT to the ball!! NOT 20 yards away!
When on the green, leave cart on the side of the green nearest next tee box! take putter out and walk to ball! (Prevents lap of honour with push cart after you putt out!)
Lost balls: if there's a chance, look for it!
If there's no chance,... Forget it!!!!
It's just a ball, and you should be using cheap ones anyway because your rubbish!
Before you pull out a sandwich, coffee, beer, phone, cigar or penis, just think and look behind you occasionally!
It's a nice long walk, there's plenty of time for laughs and fun on the fairways!
post #2 of 89

You are correct not really a secret, more like just being attentive to the game you are playing and all good points that help speed up play.  Honestly, I find that lost balls are the worst time killers for a round.  Here in the midwest we've been in a drought for the last 2 or 3 years, rough was down, balls were real easy to find.  We could walk and play 18 holes in right at 3 hours, this spring we've had our normal rain fall if not a little more, rough is up and soft, so you get some buried lies.  We've had to look for a few balls and now our rounds are 3:20, like I should be bitching right!

post #3 of 89
Thread Starter 
Yup, it's just common sense! I think I pretty much nailed it! But feel free to add anything I've missed!
I'm usually first out on a Saturday morning,
If there's 2 of us, we do it in 2.5 hours
3 of us, nearly 3 hours,
4 of us, nearly 3.5 hours,
And we're 18-22 handicaps, which proves you don't have to a good golfer to keep up pace, you just have to be aware of what slows you down!
I take my dad out occasionally, he's the worst! He leaves his bag 20 yards behind his ball, picks out club, walks to ball, hits it, then has to walk back 20 yards back to his bag! Every ****in time! Adds 2000yrds to ya walk!
post #4 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardballs View Post

Like it's really a secret!
Be ready to tee off when approaching tee box!
Keep practise swings to a minimum! Not 5!
On the tee box, DONT TALK!....DRIVE!
If you must talk on the phone, do this while walking to the ball, not stood over it!
Leave the green immediately after putting!
IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
Do scoring on the next tee box!
For walkers! (Like me)
When approaching ball on fairway, walk to ball and leave cart on right hand side of ball,
NEXT to the ball!! NOT 20 yards away!
When on the green, leave cart on the side of the green nearest next tee box! take putter out and walk to ball! (Prevents lap of honour with push cart after you putt out!)
Lost balls: if there's a chance, look for it!
If there's no chance,... Forget it!!!!
It's just a ball, and you should be using cheap ones anyway because your rubbish!
Before you pull out a sandwich, coffee, beer, phone, cigar or penis, just think and look behind you occasionally!
It's a nice long walk, there's plenty of time for laughs and fun on the fairways!

I don't know. I feel like practice swings get a bad rap. My biggest problem in golf is with making contact with the ball when it's on uneven terrain or buried in grass. I take a bunch of practice swing to get the feel of where my swing should bottom out before every shot. We're usually waiting on the group ahead because play is pretty slow on the weekends on Long Island, but I'd do it regardless because I feel like I'd rather get this shot right than have to go hit one or two more because I made a mess of the first one. The way I do my practice swings, at least, don't add more than 10 seconds to my routine. It's not like I'm posing and visualizing ball flight on each practice swing, haha.

 

I think the most important part of maintaining pace is just maintaining awareness of yourself on the course, knowing where you need to take more time so you can make it up elsewhere if need be. Folks who are in their own little world are the ones who get into trouble.

post #5 of 89

Two things I do are take the putter with me along with the wedge when I am greenside and leave the wedge between the hole and the cart when putting. Of  course the cart is parked on the shortest path to the next tee box.

 

I buy cheap but decent balls (Calloway Hex from Costco) and kiss them goodbye if they look problematic to find. If I am shooting a decent score, however, I will look for a ball more intensely. (not that often, but since I have started to improve a little, my sympathy for those looking for lost balls has gone up, if they are any good.) A guy that I play with sometimes seems to think that he has to come out of the woods or the rough or whatever with a bunch of practice balls too. This drives me up a wall.

post #6 of 89
This is the guidance given to members and visitors at my club:

The R & A have issued guidelines in the “Rules of Golf” to combat Slow Play. Extracts from these rules are detailed below:

The Basics

Keep up with the group in front
If you lose a hole, call the group behind you through
Be ready to play your shot when it is your turn
Leave the green promptly

Time a game should take around Brancepeth

For “normal golf” it is important for the Committee to set targets for round times. As we know, there is not a “one size fits all” model for round times but it is important that the targets are achievable without being too soft.

Rounds should take no longer than the following:

Two-Balls 3 hrs 10 mins
Three-Balls 3 hrs 30 mins
Four-Balls 3 hrs 50 mins

How players can help to minimise round times:

Be aware of your position with regard to the group in front.
Do not concern yourself with the group behind; the fact that you are not holding them up is irrelevant as it is your group’s responsibility to keep up with the group in front.
If you feel that your group is falling behind, advise the other players in your group.
If your group is behind, try to catch up quickly.
If you lose a clear hole and are delaying the group behind, or if there is no group in front of you and you are delaying the group behind, invite the group behind to play through.
Do not wait until it is your turn to play before putting your glove on.
Do not wait until it is your turn to play before calculating your yardage and selecting your club.
Look at your own line of putt while the other players in the group look at theirs (within the bounds of normal etiquette).
At the green, position your bags so as to allow quick movement off the green to the next tee.
Move off the green as soon as all players in your group have holed out
Mark score cards at or on the way to the next tee. If you have the honour, consider marking the score card after you have teed off.
Play a provisional ball if your ball may be lost outside a hazard or out of bounds.
If you keep up with the group in front, you cannot be accused of slow play.
post #7 of 89

Yay, another one of these threads.

 

The posted pace of play at my course is 4 hours 15 minutes.  I will play under that.  If they change the POP, I will play under that.  If the course doesn't have a POP, its their fault and I'll play at whatever pace I want until they post a POP (round 4 hours usually).

 

I will not adjust my pace faster because the group in front happen to be speed demons.

I will not adjust my pace faster because the group behind me happen to be speed demons.

I will let anyone through who is significantly faster provided there is room to do so.

I will enjoy the day and my time out, and, as long as I'm playing under the POP, ignore everyone else.

I will play to the POP.

If there is no POP, I will play to about 4 hours, since every course I've ever been on with a POP is w/n 15 minutes of 4 hours.

 

I will do no more, and no less, than that.

 

That is all.

post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclayton1982 View Post
 

Yay, another one of these threads.

 

The posted pace of play at my course is 4 hours 15 minutes.  I will play under that.  If they change the POP, I will play under that.  If the course doesn't have a POP, its their fault and I'll play at whatever pace I want until they post a POP (round 4 hours usually).

 

I will not adjust my pace faster because the group in front happen to be speed demons.

I will not adjust my pace faster because the group behind me happen to be speed demons.

I will let anyone through who is significantly faster provided there is room to do so.

I will enjoy the day and my time out, and, as long as I'm playing under the POP, ignore everyone else.

I will play to the POP.

If there is no POP, I will play to about 4 hours, since every course I've ever been on with a POP is w/n 15 minutes of 4 hours.

 

I will do no more, and no less, than that.

 

That is all.


And all the peoples said AMEN !

post #9 of 89

Can I get an AMEN?

 

I like your point about the cell phones. I HATE PEOPLE THAT TALK ON THEIR CELL PHONES ON THE GOLF COURSE!!!

Seriously, shut the dang things off, leave it in your car, etc.

 

If you are conducting business or work, then go to work and do that, don't bring it to the course. Your girlfriend/wife will have to wait until you finish your round, to find out whats for dinner.

 

I did this once, felt like I was inconsiderate of my playing partners. Now I leave my cell phone in the car during rounds.

post #10 of 89
Quote:
 

I like your point about the cell phones. I HATE PEOPLE THAT TALK ON THEIR CELL PHONES ON THE GOLF COURSE!!!

Seriously, shut the dang things off, leave it in your car, etc.

 

If you are conducting business or work, then go to work and do that, don't bring it to the course. Your girlfriend/wife will have to wait until you finish your round, to find out whats for dinner.

 

I did this once, felt like I was inconsiderate of my playing partners. Now I leave my cell phone in the car during rounds.

 

If they are doing all of this but playing under the POP, don't complain, because who cares.

 

If they are doing all of this and playing above the POP, you should complain, but you should complain that they arn't playing to the POP not that they are on the cell phone or whatever.

 

If your course doesn't have a POP, go complain about that.

 

What people do on the course is irrelevant.  Its my time, not yours. If I want to talk on the phone for a minute then hit all my shots really fast (staying under the POP) you should have nothing to say about it.  What is relevant is whether they are adhering to the posted pace of play.  That's all that matters.  Everything else is just noise and personal preference.

 

I talk on my cell phone on the course all the time, just like I talk on it in the car, at a coffee shop, at the office, or whereever I am.  As long as I play under the POP, its none of your business.

post #11 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclayton1982 View Post



I talk on my cell phone on the course all the time, just like I talk on it in the car, at a coffee shop, at the office, or whereever I am.  As long as I play under the POP, its none of your business.

If you talked on your 'phone at my club you'd be asked to leave the course. They're banned.
post #12 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclayton1982 View Post
 

 

 

I talk on my cell phone on the course all the time, just like I talk on it in the car, at a coffee shop, at the office, or whereever I am.  As long as I play under the POP, its none of your business.

 

Fine, just don't expect people to like it anymore than they like farts on an airplane.

post #13 of 89
Quote:
 Fine, just don't expect people to like it anymore than they like farts on an airplane.

 

I don't get this.  Farts on an airplane are obviously awful.  If I'm up the fairway talking on a cell phone and your on the tee, *And I'm playing to the POP*, what business is it of yours?  Is it better if I read a book for 30 seconds before I hit my ball?

 

If I'm playing to the POP, what I'm doing has nothing to do with you.  Now, if you want to say you don't like hearing someone talk on a cell phone, that's different.  But if your angry because someone could be playing faster w/o the phone (but they are still adhering to the POP) go yell in a wind tunnel.  Its a big sign at the first tee that a round takes 4 hours 15 minutes.  I'm sorry you want it to be faster, but the rules are the rules.

post #14 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclayton1982 View Post
 

 

I don't get this.  Farts on an airplane are obviously awful.  If I'm up the fairway talking on a cell phone and your on the tee, *And I'm playing to the POP*, what business is it of yours?  Is it better if I read a book for 30 seconds before I hit my ball?

 

If I'm playing to the POP, what I'm doing has nothing to do with you.  Now, if you want to say you don't like hearing someone talk on a cell phone, that's different.  But if your angry because someone could be playing faster w/o the phone (but they are still adhering to the POP) go yell in a wind tunnel.  Its a big sign at the first tee that a round takes 4 hours 15 minutes.  I'm sorry you want it to be faster, but the rules are the rules.

I tend to agree, as long as, in addition to keeping with the POP, you are also ackowledging what's ahead of you and what's behind you.  If you are in position with the group in front of you then you're right ... the guys behind you don't really get a say in whether or not you're on your phone while you're waiting. (The guys in your group may have something to say about it if you're talking within earshot during their turn, but that's a different type of etiquette).  But if there is room in front of you and your phone conversations are making the people behind you wait, then to heck with the POP, you need to hang up and move your butt or let them play through.

post #15 of 89

I agree its a jerk move to just sit in front of a faster group on an empty course.  As I said, you should always let people play through if you can, course is empty, single behind you, etc...  but if the course is relatively crowded and your playing to the POP, who cares about anything else.

 

I don't play faster because I happen to be put behind a speed demon group.  I don't play faster because I happen to be put in front of a speed demon group.  Matching your speed to the groups around you lets other dictate your game to you.  If the course is relatively empty, I'll let a group through, but if I can't, I don't speed up.  I play my round 4 hours and 15 minutes.

 

This comes up sometimes, because I am not a fast player on the greens.  I am fast with the full swing, but I am very slow with a putter or a wedge in my hand.  My last round was just over 4 hours and my group got some crap on the 16th tee (which is very close to 15 green) for "taking so long" on the greens from one of the other guys on the course.  He said something like "you gotta speed up on the greens guys.  c'mon." (prolly why I posted so vehemently in this thread lol).

 

No, I don't.  The round is 4 hours and 15 minutes.  I'm under that.  Go cry to the rules committee.  If they lower the POP, I'll play faster.

 

Quote:
 But if there is room in front of you and your phone conversations are making the people behind you wait, then to heck with the POP, you need to hang up and move your butt or let them play through.

 

We disagree.  The posted round time is the posted round time.  I don't have to move my butt.  I have to play the round in 4 hours and 15 minutes.  If I can let you through, I will.  But if I'm on pace, I'm playing my game, I'm ignoring you.  What you are basically saying here is "you have a duty to play as fast as the groups around you, no matter how fast or crazy they might be, match your speed to theirs."  That's silly, IMO.  If that's what I should do, why have a POP?

post #16 of 89
I read somewhere, may have been Golf digest when they wrote about the problem of slow golf and how much its hurting participation.

It went like this. if your clubs utilizes rangers to patrol the course, empty trash, make sure the water containers are full etc. Basically if they have employees on the course through out the day/ round and the average golf rounds are 4:00 hours or greater......



The ownership, management and club pro basically does not give two $hits about pace of play, think about that!
post #17 of 89
Be quick to get to your ball and prepare for your shot then take your time on your shot. Pace of play takes care of itself with that. I watched a lady yesterday who stood behind her ball for 2 minutes looking at the shot, then walked to the cart and got her club, then stood behind her ball for another minute, then took 2 practice swings and then hit the ball. The whole time I thought..well marked course and colored flags for pin position, why in the hell do you need to stand behind your ball to pick a club.

Also the score on the next box is a big one. Was at the beach playing last week. Packed in and waiting. I am an ass and I told my group no less than 10 times over 3 days to drive up and write our scores at the next box while we wait. Told them it won't make it faster for the group behind us but it will make it feel faster.
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclayton1982 View Post

I agree its a jerk move to just sit in front of a faster group on an empty course.  As I said, you should always let people play through if you can, course is empty, single behind you, etc...  but if the course is relatively crowded and your playing to the POP, who cares about anything else.

I don't play faster because I happen to be put behind a speed demon group.  I don't play faster because I happen to be put in front of a speed demon group.  Matching your speed to the groups around you lets other dictate your game to you.  If the course is relatively empty, I'll let a group through, but if I can't, I don't speed up.  I play my round 4 hours and 15 minutes.

This comes up sometimes, because I am not a fast player on the greens.  I am fast with the full swing, but I am very slow with a putter or a wedge in my hand.  My last round was just over 4 hours and my group got some crap on the 16th tee (which is very close to 15 green) for "taking so long" on the greens from one of the other guys on the course.  He said something like "you gotta speed up on the greens guys.  c'mon." (prolly why I posted so vehemently in this thread lol).

No, I don't.  The round is 4 hours and 15 minutes.  I'm under that.  Go cry to the rules committee.  If they lower the POP, I'll play faster.


We disagree.  The posted round time is the posted round time.  I don't have to move my butt.  I have to play the round in 4 hours and 15 minutes.  If I can let you through, I will.  But if I'm on pace, I'm playing my game, I'm ignoring you.  What you are basically saying here is "you have a duty to play as fast as the groups around you, no matter how fast or crazy they might be, match your speed to theirs."  That's silly, IMO.  If that's what I should do, why have a POP?

I think the vast majority would agree that a POP recommendation is a minimum speed, and most everybody would ideally be ahead of that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My Secret to pace of play!