or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Key #2 - Shanks a lot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Key #2 - Shanks a lot

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

All,

 

Been trying to work on the 5SK system and watch the videos as much as possible. I'm buying the book next month and will try to get on Evolvr ASAP. Can't wait!!!

 

Something I've noticed that happens to me when I work on the drill where you set up to the ball, and then push your front hip/hands forward before taking a backswing in order to help with the front weight shift concept (key 2). When I do this, I end up shanking the ball often, which I honestly NEVER did with my irons (only my wedges for a while). I think the reason is obvious - In trying to keep my hands/weight forward, I'm actually pushing outward as well, causing a shank, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anyone can advise how to avoid/fix it.

 

Thanks

post #2 of 5

I think you are correct, I am guessing it is probably because you are keeping the hips there and forcing the hands/club outward.  Don't forget to rotate your usual amount through the shot.

post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post
 

Been trying to work on the 5SK system and watch the videos as much as possible. I'm buying the book next month and will try to get on Evolvr ASAP. Can't wait!!!

 

Please don't buy the book. We didn't write it, and aren't sure who did. Feel free to buy LSW, if you haven't already, though. I know who wrote that book. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post
 

Something I've noticed that happens to me when I work on the drill where you set up to the ball, and then push your front hip/hands forward before taking a backswing in order to help with the front weight shift concept (key 2). When I do this, I end up shanking the ball often, which I honestly NEVER did with my irons (only my wedges for a while). I think the reason is obvious - In trying to keep my hands/weight forward, I'm actually pushing outward as well, causing a shank, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anyone can advise how to avoid/fix it.

 

If you are good at swinging left and finding the center of the clubface, anything which alters your path to be more outward will increase the likelihood of a shank.

 

That's why my very own "My Swing" thread starts includes a shank video in it (fairly early along IIRC).

post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Please don't buy the book. We didn't write it, and aren't sure who did. Feel free to buy LSW, if you haven't already, though. I know who wrote that book. :)

 

 

 

 

LSW is the one I was referring to, sorry! I guess I was a little unclear, but as we all know there's only one "the book" when it comes to this website, right ;-)

post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post
 

LSW is the one I was referring to, sorry! I guess I was a little unclear, but as we all know there's only one "the book" when it comes to this website, right ;-)

 

There's a 5SK book out there, that we didn't write. That's what I thought you were talking about. :) Understandable I think since it came right after the 5SK mention! :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Key #2 - Shanks a lot