or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (andwilk)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (andwilk)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I've been Playing Golf for:​ ~7 years 

My current handicap index or average score is: 25 (hdcp) / 100 (average score)

My typical ball flight is: usually a small slice

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I have a tendency with my 6-9 iron to hit the ball to the left and short about 20-30 yards.

 


 

Videos:

 

This video contains 9 shots:

 

- 2x 7 iron (rear view)

- 2x 7 iron (side view)

- 3x 3 hybrid (rear view)

- 2x driver (rear view)

 

 

Thank you in advance for providing input on my swing.  I know there is a lot to work on!!

post #2 of 14

Take a look at this photo

 

 

Look at how your front leg is straight, your back leg is bent, and you're standing flat-footed. That is usually a strong indicator of the weight not getting forward. That would be my first step.

 

Take a look at this thread: The Biggest Secret? SLIDE Your Hips

 

And this video: Key #2 Weight Forward - Hips Preset Drill

 

Hope this helps. 

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
I had a feeling after reading about the 5 keys that transferring my weight forward would be one of the main things I will need to practice. I didn't realize how bad it was but that screenshot makes it pretty clear that I still have a lot of weight on my back foot at impact. I think my main concern is how do I know when to start shifting my weight forward.

Thanks for the advice.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwilk View Post

I had a feeling after reading about the 5 keys that transferring my weight forward would be one of the main things I will need to practice. I didn't realize how bad it was but that screenshot makes it pretty clear that I still have a lot of weight on my back foot at impact. I think my main concern is how do I know when to start shifting my weight forward.

Thanks for the advice.

Top of the backswing. When you finish swinging the club back, start shifting the hips forward. 

 

A good feel to help with this is to keep that front knee bent. It'll help stop the hips from spinning out.

post #5 of 14
I agree with jbishop.

what wouldmost say about the club face being so open at the top?

I have allways had trouble transferring my weight forward. after sometime with a teacher and a lot of range balls i found that my club face being to open on the back swing was causing my body to stop moving to let the club head catch up to sqaure at impact (subconscious taking over). I also suffered a big time struggle with shanks, and flipping,

once I got the glub face good or close to (I will call it square) at the top, I started getting forward, i do not get as forward as the pro wants me to but I do have more center to toe strikes, and sometimes I feel like I can get down on the ball. my score has dropped 10 strokes I think I could shoot in the 70's if I could putt.

I am just a student to the game, but after years of having the weight transfer drills put on me and really trying to make those drills work, then all of the sudden changing my face angle at the top made it 100 times easyer for me to transfer my weight and lower my scores. I would say anybody that sticks back should work on face angle first.

???
Tom
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post

I agree with jbishop.

what wouldmost say about the club face being so open at the top?

I have allways had trouble transferring my weight forward. after sometime with a teacher and a lot of range balls i found that my club face being to open on the back swing was causing my body to stop moving to let the club head catch up to sqaure at impact (subconscious taking over). I also suffered a big time struggle with shanks, and flipping,

once I got the glub face good or close to (I will call it square) at the top, I started getting forward, i do not get as forward as the pro wants me to but I do have more center to toe strikes, and sometimes I feel like I can get down on the ball. my score has dropped 10 strokes I think I could shoot in the 70's if I could putt.

I am just a student to the game, but after years of having the weight transfer drills put on me and really trying to make those drills work, then all of the sudden changing my face angle at the top made it 100 times easyer for me to transfer my weight and lower my scores. I would say anybody that sticks back should work on face angle first.

???
Tom

Its hard to say, because its different for everyone. Personally, I got the weight forward thing right away; all it took for me was 'slide the hips' and I did it. 

 

For others, it's more difficult. For a buddy of mine, it took him a few months to get it down. Just depends on the person. The above drill, though, works really, really well for most. 

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post

Its hard to say, because its different for everyone. Personally, I got the weight forward thing right away; all it took for me was 'slide the hips' and I did it. 

For others, it's more difficult. For a buddy of mine, it took him a few months to get it down. Just depends on the person. The above drill, though, works really, really well for most. 

I can respect that.

not trying to steal the thread and not trying to make bad feelings. I just need to know?

did you guys know where your club face was at the top?
did you have a good grip?

in lessons if you had them was your grip and club face taught before you learned to turn?

I'm asking because I was taught grip and then it was get forward get forward, and for me the getting forward became so over done my club face got lost, now for me it's club face and the transfer, I also find that I can make better strikes with a square club face when I don't make a good move forward.

sorry for using up the OP topic, I'm curios?

pm me if you like

tom
Edited by motsco - 8/22/14 at 10:07pm
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post

I agree with jbishop.



what wouldmost say about the club face being so open at the top?



I have allways had trouble transferring my weight forward. after sometime with a teacher and a lot of range balls i found that my club face being to open on the back swing was causing my body to stop moving to let the club head catch up to sqaure at impact (subconscious taking over). I also suffered a big time struggle with shanks, and flipping,



once I got the glub face good or close to (I will call it square) at the top, I started getting forward, i do not get as forward as the pro wants me to but I do have more center to toe strikes, and sometimes I feel like I can get down on the ball. my score has dropped 10 strokes I think I could shoot in the 70's if I could putt.



I am just a student to the game, but after years of having the weight transfer drills put on me and really trying to make those drills work, then all of the sudden changing my face angle at the top made it 100 times easyer for me to transfer my weight and lower my scores. I would say anybody that sticks back should work on face angle first.



???

Tom

 



I changed the top of my backswing earlier in the year in an attempt to hit my mid to short irons better. I think I may be turning my wrists too much at the top and that is why the club face is too open. Thoughts?

As an aside, when I first started golfing my backswing stayed extremely closed throughout resulting in many wicked hooks. This was probably due to the fact that I played hockey for >10 years before I played golf. Some people told me that it looked like I was trying to take a slap shot!
post #9 of 14

Biggest problem I see is your swinging backwards, you should be standing on the other side of the ball =)

 

Seriously tho, it looks to me I can't really tell but you aren't getting much of a wrist hinge in the backswing. Also your head is moving way up on the backswing and back down on the downswing. That is going to make it hard to get the club back to the same place at impact, because you have to time it perfectly. I would start with a steady head, and then work on #2 weight shift.

post #10 of 14

Key #1 is the priority, with the head moving this much it's going to be very hard to hit the ball solid.

 

 

Take a look at this video. Would also recommend making swings with your head against a stick or a door jamb.

 

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Key #1 is the priority, with the head moving this much it's going to be very hard to hit the ball solid.



 





 



Take a look at this video. Would also recommend making swings with your head against a stick or a door jamb.



 



Yikes! I guess keeping my head down is only part of the battle. I didn't realize my head was moving THAT much during the swing. What is the best way to practice this without someone to help like in the video? You mention resting my head against a stick or door jamb but would that allow me to make full swings or would starting off with shorter swings and working my way up to a full swing the best way to teach myself to keep my head steady?
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwilk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Key #1 is the priority, with the head moving this much it's going to be very hard to hit the ball solid.



 





 



Take a look at this video. Would also recommend making swings with your head against a stick or a door jamb.



 



Yikes! I guess keeping my head down is only part of the battle. I didn't realize my head was moving THAT much during the swing. What is the best way to practice this without someone to help like in the video? You mention resting my head against a stick or door jamb but would that allow me to make full swings or would starting off with shorter swings and working my way up to a full swing the best way to teach myself to keep my head steady?

You can practice this without hitting a ball, using a mirror at home, put some tape on the mirror and take your stance and make some very slow back swings. When you get to the top check to make sure your head didn't move, a little is ok say an inch but the less the better. Then do the downswing real slow again, checking your head at impact.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwilk View Post

Yikes! I guess keeping my head down is only part of the battle. I didn't realize my head was moving THAT much during the swing. What is the best way to practice this without someone to help like in the video? You mention resting my head against a stick or door jamb but would that allow me to make full swings or would starting off with shorter swings and working my way up to a full swing the best way to teach myself to keep my head steady?

 

Stick with full swings but you can do them at slower speeds. Film every couple of swings and make sure the picture is changing. If it's not, you need to keep the pivot more centered. You use the stick or door jamb practice to acquire feels that will help you stay centered. 

 

Here's another drill you can do

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowcelica View Post


You can practice this without hitting a ball, using a mirror at home, put some tape on the mirror and take your stance and make some very slow back swings. When you get to the top check to make sure your head didn't move, a little is ok say an inch but the less the better. Then do the downswing real slow again, checking your head at impact.

 

Agree that's a good way to go. What's important to note is you don't really need to focus on the head not moving, focus more on the pieces that allow the head to stay steady.  

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Stick with full swings but you can do them at slower speeds. Film every couple of swings and make sure the picture is changing. If it's not, you need to keep the pivot more centered. You use the stick or door jamb practice to acquire feels that will help you stay centered. 

Here's another drill you can do




Agree that's a good way to go. What's important to note is you don't really need to focus on the head not moving, focus more on the pieces that allow the head to stay steady.  

I agree, but what worked best for me is to focus in one aspect of the swing like the backswing first. This is a good video on the backswing to get a centered turn, http://youtu.be/3Jr1hUhILyM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (andwilk)