IGNORED

Greetings from Maine

Nixon
Note: This thread is 1846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ahoy!

New around these parts, though not to forums. I'm from up in the frozen north woods of Maine. 🙂

I went golfing a few times a good decade back, and truly enjoyed what little bit of it I did. Now years later looking to get back into it! 🙂

Open to any suggestions. I have a set of clubs I was given for helping a family member back then, but it turns out they are actually women's clubs (Which I am not.). Upon some research on them, they seem like pretty solid clubs! I've never used these ones, as I played with friends the times I did. I've had them for years in storage.

The Putter is a Northwestern Sandra Palmer 412. There are a handful of McGregor clubs, some Wilson Sam Sneads, and some Ram Golden Girls. They are all completely rust free, and in great shape...Though they have a bit of mildew on them I need to clean off, and the bag is a bit dirty (Bag is by Seal? Can't find anything on them.). 

Now, I'm about 5'9 1/2 and average build. All the info I can find on men using womens clubs is besides a bit of poking fun, it's not really a big deal if they fit well to your height. Was wondering if these would work fine? 

I would like to slowly replace/retire them, and get nicer and newer ones. I believe likely the best move would be to first invest in a decent driver, no? Or would I be best off just following what these guides say and getting a new set like the Callaway Strata?

Anyway, enough with the long winded intro...Look forward to learning more from you all! 

Hey Nixon! Welcome to TST. I see you may like videogames, too (Mario)? We also have a videogame section in this forum.

About using women's clubs as a beginner - I believe it could be compared to golf shoes.
If the shoe size fits and you are comfortable in them, then I don't see a problem.
This allows you to start playing and seeing if you will stick to playing golf; then you can decide which clubs to invest in later.

I copied this text I found at another website for you:
"Ladies' irons have a softer flex and the club head might be slightly heavier (though the club is lighter overall). The shafts are also shorter as women are shorter in stature than men. "

On 4/1/2019 at 9:17 PM, Nixon said:

I believe likely the best move would be to first invest in a decent driver, no?

I think all clubs are equally important. There are actual experts in this forum with an excellent handicap who may disagree with me; I trust that they will probably give you better advise than me.

Welcome to TST.

• Informative 1

Nave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Greetings from Maine
33 minutes ago, Nave said:

Hey Nixon! Welcome to TST. I see you may like videogames, too (Mario)? We also have a videogame section in this forum.

About using women's clubs as a beginner - I believe it could be compared to golf shoes.
If the shoe size fits and you are comfortable in them, then I don't see a problem.
This allows you to start playing and seeing if you will stick to playing golf; then you can decide which clubs to invest in later.

I copied this text I found at another website for you:
"Ladies' irons have a softer flex and the club head might be slightly heavier (though the club is lighter overall). The shafts are also shorter as women are shorter in stature than men. "

I think all clubs are equally important. There are actual experts in this forum with an excellent handicap who may disagree with me; I trust that they will probably give you better advise than me.

Welcome to TST.

Huge videogame fan and collector! I'll dive in to that section.

Yes, that basically seemed to be what I gathered and assumed. I figured it would be nice to at least make use of them while getting into it, before investing in more expensive clubs. I would like to be able to make use of what I have, and then down the line if I decide to and am able to be serious about golf, then invest in new clubs.

Thanks for the warm welcome! 🙂

Welcome to TST! I was once a gamer in the classic days. Now I live vicariously through my 12yr old who is quite the hi-tech gamer. Having a newer driver is a good investment. And you certainly will do just fine trying out a 2-3yr old model and save a bundle. Since you're just 'testing the water' with golf for now I wouldn't worry too much about the clubs. The clubs you have may be bit short and the shaft may be too flexible. But that all depends on your swing and again I wouldn't worry about that until you decide you want to keep playing. 

Take some time and hit them on the range and see how they feel. Maybe hit a friends club and compare the feel and results. Sometimes driving ranges will have a variety of clubs to hit and you could try that as well. Anyway, glad you joined and hope to see you around the site. Cheers.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, Vinsk said:

Welcome to TST! I was once a gamer in the classic days. Now I live vicariously through my 12yr old who is quite the hi-tech gamer. Having a newer driver is a good investment. And you certainly will do just fine trying out a 2-3yr old model and save a bundle. Since you're just 'testing the water' with golf for now I wouldn't worry too much about the clubs. The clubs you have may be bit short and the shaft may be too flexible. But that all depends on your swing and again I wouldn't worry about that until you decide you want to keep playing. 

Take some time and hit them on the range and see how they feel. Maybe hit a friends club and compare the feel and results. Sometimes driving ranges will have a variety of clubs to hit and you could try that as well. Anyway, glad you joined and hope to see you around the site. Cheers.

Yeah, I am going to invest in a newer used driver. I'm actually reading up on restoring these old drivers...They are in great shape, and pretty neat. One of them is a 1953 MacGregor Byron Nelson. Going to be fun to fix it up. 

I went through and cleaned up the clubs quite nicely, and some of them are mens clubs, some womens. Once weather permits, I'll take them to the range and give them a good try out. I've been messing around just in the house with the putter a bit, and it has a nice fit to it. 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!