IGNORED

Sabotage

Note: This thread is 1844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I go to the range, I know what I want to accomplish, and it goes really well. Not perfect, but the shots I hit, I could live with during any round. I go to the course, and I turn into someone with some sort of physical/mental disorder. That swing I practiced turns into something else. I drop my right shoulder, I overswing, I underswing, I pick my head up, if it's possible to do, I do it. Sure, I hit some decent shots, but I sprinkle in enough stinkers to kill my score.

The thing that drives me crazy is I know what to do for a decent swing, (for me). And it's not terribly hard to do, nor am I asking myself to reproduce timing and effort like a pro. So, when I dip the shoulder to try to get more yards, or when I decelerate trying to avoid hitting it too far, I feel it instantly and want to kick my own arse.

I don't expect answers here, I know this is not a simple thing, and most of us fight similar demons. I'm asking if anyone has read any books that has helped them on the path to enlightenment. I'm not likely to ever be a scratch golfer, I simply want to be the best golfer my ability will allow me to be.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, daled said:

I don't expect answers here, I know this is not a simple thing, and most of us fight similar demons. I'm asking if anyone has read any books that has helped them on the path to enlightenment. I'm not likely to ever be a scratch golfer, I simply want to be the best golfer my ability will allow me to be.

Lowest Score Wins. 

https://lowestscorewins.com/

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, daled said:

I go to the range, I know what I want to accomplish, and it goes really well. Not perfect, but the shots I hit, I could live with during any round. I go to the course, and I turn into someone with some sort of physical/mental disorder. That swing I practiced turns into something else. I drop my right shoulder, I overswing, I underswing, I pick my head up, if it's possible to do, I do it. Sure, I hit some decent shots, but I sprinkle in enough stinkers to kill my score.

The thing that drives me crazy is I know what to do for a decent swing, (for me). And it's not terribly hard to do, nor am I asking myself to reproduce timing and effort like a pro. So, when I dip the shoulder to try to get more yards, or when I decelerate trying to avoid hitting it too far, I feel it instantly and want to kick my own arse.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to TST. That swing you’re making on the range is very likely the same swing you’re making on the course. If you had video of both you wouldn’t be able to see where those ‘feelings’ are happening. On the range your repetition will yield some good ball striking eventually. But it’s because you have worked your compensations to a working strike. 

When you have fundamental faults they will always yield inconsistent results when you are out of the ‘range groove’ phase.

Post a video here. Get some sound advice from some excellent instructors here. Or join Evolvr online instruction or take live lessons. This is really the only way to reach your potential. Cheers!

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

good advice above.

Simply offering sympathy here - during one shot over the weekend I was standing over the ball thinking "I'm not sure I can hit this shot." Started backswing anyway "that's not right." Finish swing because I'm an idiot - ball goes not at all where I want it causing double bogey from the fairway.

Golf is hard. LSW is really helpful. Video and review of swings is really helpful. True understanding of capabilities and expected results is VERY helpful.

Also, just a reminder, we pay $ to play this game as a means of relaxation / fun / enjoyment. Don't take it too seriously.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

Note: This thread is 1844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!