IGNORED

Input needed!! Reshafting an old iron set...

msto
Note: This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got a set of Mizuno MP-29s that I'm reshafting. They currently have TT x100s cut down half and inch. That was a mistake - I'm 5'9" so will keep standard length for new ones.

I like that the x100s don't spray too much, but ball flight is too low for me and the clubs are too heavy. I'm not getting the release I'd like, either - at least not consistently - so I'm going to swap those out for something lighter with a bit more flex. Ideally, I'm looking for higher ball flight with a bit more distance/carry, especially from the mid-irons. I might keep x100 for the short irons, but 8-iron down I want something more. I'm thinkng of TT s300s.

For reference, I hit 8-iron about 145 yds. Would love to consistently and comfortably hit 8-iron 150-155.

Because the MP-29s are head heavy, I'm wondering if a lighter shaft will throw off the balance.

Any one out there with some thoughts or wisdom on reshafting?  Much appreciated!

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

Not much wisdom here, but some observations/personal experience for what it’s worth.  

I played TT s300’s for years.  They are relatively heavy shafts.  130g and fairly low launch.  I just put KBS Tour 90’s on my new AP2’s.  The flight is significantly higher, and I picked up about a half club in distance in the longer irons.  No change at all in the 8-PW. I love the lighter weight though and I went to a softer R flex for the first time with no loss in consistency.  A real concern for me since I’m a relatively short hitter...140 stock  8-iron carry.  If you’re looking for a higher launch and lighter weight, they would certainly be a shaft to consider, though maybe in S flex.

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Several factors to consider when re-shafting  older iron clubs.

Start with determining proper length.
Change in swing weight. Counter balancing grips change swing weight.
Tip trimming, soft or hard stepping.
Shaft stiffness, stiff or regular flex.
Adjusting Loft of club heads.
Grip and swing.
Ball position in swing.
The Ball, higher spinning balls will produce higher ball flight.

The best method would be to start with one iron and fiddle with different shafts.
Most fitters would work with the 5-iron of customers and build the set from the 5-iron specs.
Having inter-changeable shafts is the quickest method when determining correct shaft for customer.

If you want to experiment on your own, it's a learning experience. 
Trial and error was a method players used years ago, which is still a decent option.

Also, possibly check around local stores which carry used sets.
If lucky enough to find some, check them out and test them at the store on a launch monitor.

Finally, research with Google. Many articles are available for reference on change or building sets.
And talk with a custom club maker, they will usually offer suggestions.

Here is a good place to start - Changing Swing Weight

Swingweight measures the distribution of a golf club’s weight, rather than a club’s actual weight. Clubs with more weight than usual in the clubhead relative to the grip have higher swingweights, and those with higher-than-normal weight in the grip area have lower swingweights. So if you add weight to a golf club’s grip, the club’s actual weight increases, but its swingweight decreases. Swingweight measurements are expressed with a letter, ranging from A on the low end to G, plus a number from 0 through 9, with 9 denoting a greater swingweight than 0. Most amateur golfers will be comfortable with a neutral swing weight of D-0.

Change the club’s shaft. Take your clubs to a club repair professional and ask him put in a different type of shaft. If you’re looking for a higher swingweight, for example, you can have your heavier steel shafts replaced by shafts made with a lighter material, such as lightweight steel or graphite. Be aware, though that a longer club shaft made from a lighter material may weigh the same as your former shaft and have no impact on a club’s swingweight.

Alter the club’s grip. Installing a larger or smaller grip will affect the swingweight in the same manner as adding tape near the grip. If your new grip is heavier than the piece it replaces, the swingweight decreases; if the new grip is lighter, the swingweight increases.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I would look at True Temper AMTs. They have different versions based on launch desired but it basically does what you are wanting. Lighter, easier to launch longer iron shafts, and heavier shorter iron shafts. I might look at the black which are lighter through the set than DG S300s. Most people are probably better suited into a 105-120 gram shaft anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Adam C said:

I would look at True Temper AMTs. They have different versions based on launch desired but it basically does what you are wanting. Lighter, easier to launch longer iron shafts, and heavier shorter iron shafts. I might look at the black which are lighter through the set than DG S300s. Most people are probably better suited into a 105-120 gram shaft anyway.

I’m playing the AMT Black R300s with my MP59s now switching from the XP95 S300. I really like this shaft. It is about the same weight as the XP95 in the long irons. They feel really smooth in transition and at impact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If you're looking for a lighter shaft with a higher trajectory, I don't think the DG S-300 is the best option.  There just isn't very much difference in those areas.  You'll be able to feel the difference in flex, but the weight is only a couple of grams different and although the trajectory might be slightly higher, it probably isn't going to be enough to get the additional carry you want.

This chart is several years old, but it's a good starting point to get some ideas about which shafts you might want to look into:

395180956_ironshaftcomparisonj15_revised_a.thumb.jpg.a19f528e711e80bd809da2d1654fb73e.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Maybe Ladies flex Aldila shafts?

Titleist 681 TT DG X100: 2 (2° weak) 4-9

Some Vokey SM wedges: 49°, 55°, 59° (bent 1°)

Callaway XR Pro 1w+3w/Titleist 975D

You are lengthening your shafts an inch and half back to regular.  This will add a lot of weight to the shaft and increase the swingweight a lot.

You need to get lighter shafts if you want to keep the same total weight or swingweight of the club.

Note: This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!