IGNORED

Pros on the Range

binga7
Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watching some footage today got me thinking, you know how the pros just grab a bag or two of balls and hit the range before the round, well they all use different balls (Titleist, Callaway, TM etc...) so does the course offer different balls on the range or would they all just be Pro V1's?

• iacas changed the title to Pros on the Range
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, binga7 said:

Watching some footage today got me thinking, you know how the pros just grab a bag or two of balls and hit the range before the round, well they all use different balls (Titleist, Callaway, TM etc...) so does the course offer different balls on the range or would they all just be Pro V1's?

The PGA Tour makes the various brands of balls available. The manufacturers supply them.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When’s the last time a PGA Pro hit a ball with a red stripe on it? 😃

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

When’s the last time a PGA Pro hit a ball with a red stripe on it? 😃

Phil hits one every day 😉

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I was a sportswriter about 20 years ago and did a story on the behind-the-scenes details of running a pro golf tournament. I was told that various manufacturers each provided a few thousand balls so players using that ball in competition would have the same model to practice with. Every few hours the machines would collect the balls and volunteers would wash and sort them. At the end of the week the balls (marked "practice") would be donated to local junior golf. As far as I know, that's still how it's done. I'm guessing that today they would provide Pro V-1 and Pro V-1x, Taylormade TP5 and TP5x, Bridgestone B330, Srixon Z-Star, Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft x, etc. 

I've been a volunteer working the range at LPGA tournaments and have noticed that only Pro V-1s are available for practice. They are re-used for several tournaments and then replaced. Some players who don't like that ball bring their own to hit on the range but have no way to get them back. 

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!