IGNORED

Has Anyone Done Olympic Lifting as Part of Their Routine?

barooo
Note: This thread is 1739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know the stereotype is that golfers skew older and less active, but that's definitely not nearly the whole of it.  I'm definitely not someone to take advice from on any part of the game, but I'm curious if anyone has used olympic lifting or variations (meaning clean & jerk, snatch, or variations like power cleans) in their exercise routine? 

I spent several years learning the olympic lifts while I was taking a break from golf, and I feel like the move you make to drive off the ground in the swing has some commonalities with the 2nd pull in olympic lifting (which is when you explosively pull the bar up from about mid-thigh, explosively extending your hips, your traps, and your ankles) to prepare to catch it), and training myself to do something explosively with a large timing component seems to carry over a bit, if nothing else in terms of thoughts and patterns.  Plus working the lifts has done wonders for my hip and shoulder flexibility and my core strength.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Has Anyone Done Olympic Lifting as Part of Their Routine?
  • 2 months later...

I do power cleans in my routine. My tennis coach when i was in HS recommended it for me when my biggest weakness was power (wasn't a "golfer" then). And I've kept it in my routine ever since where possible (a lotta gyms don't allow it). I have only personal feeling data on the matter tho, and in that respect I agree with what you wrote and how it feel helpful to my general strength.

As with any sport lifting helps. Olympic lifts are excellent dynamic lifts and train the body to develop power(force/time). This training is both muscular and neural. This type of explosive movement is exactly what is needed in a golf swing and why you see so many professionals doing this type of lifting.

A major reason it is not used more frequently in gyms and workout routines is the risk of injury from using too much weight or bad form. The strain of getting the weight moving and stopping it can be many times the static weight and can injure joints, ligaments or tendons.

• Informative 1

We do them as part of our crossfit workouts.  Gotta admit, they are not my favorite.  As said before, go lighter with better form.  What I get sucked into is looking at the men's weight and women's weight on the board.  Being 58 and 143 lbs I hate that the men's prescribed weight is the same for me as it is a 25 year old hulking male.

often times I do something in the middle or the women's weight so I don't hurt myself.

Note: This thread is 1739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!