IGNORED

NJ's Rock Spring (Raynor) Is Now Public

Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, it's a Raynor/Banks designed course, but since Raynor's course is the Women's USO course now, I put his name up there. Also, technically, it has been opened for two weeks now, so opened for a bit already.

Interesting, the management company that took over also operates Skyway, Blue Heron and Galloping Hill. From the little I've seen of Skyway, I like how they run it. Green fees look reasonable. Based on the Google comments, looks like it hasn't drained out yet, but that's a lot of courses around here.

Historic Rock Spring Club in West Orange is now open for play as a municipally-owned public daily fee golf facility.

Following a ceremonial first ball on Thursday night, May 9, West Orange Township – the new owner of the formerly private club – formally opened the course for play the following morning, May 10.

The 6,600-yard, par 71 golf course, which opened in 1928, sits on a rolling tree-lined site along the first mountain ridge in West Orange. It features many design elements from the design partnership of legendary architects Seth Raynor and Charles Banks, with green complexes designed by Raynor. It is one of only two Raynor/Banks-developed courses open to the public in the United States.

Said NJSGA Board of Trustees member David Cronheim, who acted in an advisory role for West Orange Township: “Seth Raynor’s template here is the vision of famous holes from the British Isles. There is a fantastic Road Hole here and one of the best Redan holes Raynor ever built. Also, there are stirring views of the Manhattan skyline from the clubhouse. Now, as a public daily golf course, Rock Spring is a great value.”  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lived in West Orange many moons ago. Rock Spring very nice and should take over some of the overcrowded Francis Byrne. 

• Administrator

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 7.18.41 PM.png

You can see a lot of Raynor there, but I'm a bit surprised at some of the roundness to some of the greens. I wonder if that was because its was completed after he died, if it's been changed a bit since 1928, or ifs either I'm wrong about how many "corners" his greens often had or if he changed a bit in his later years.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
On 6/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Roundness! Sorry, don't see it in that illustration. Maybe a few.

Then you're not familiar with Seth Raynor.

Look at the top right corner.

That is more of a Raynor course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!